The Student Room Group

Physics at uni

Currently in year 13 and applying to unis for physics. I have applied to Oxford, Bath and Leeds so far. I think I'm going to apply to Durham and Exeter as well. I doubt that I'm going to get into oxford - I have great predicted grades but I don't think I will do well in the PAT test. Does anybody have any experience with the other four?? I think my favourites so far are Durham and Bath but I'm not sure as I haven't been able to visit due to corona.
Another point is that I want to go into physics in the future and i intend to do a masters and a phd so is it important that the uni is really prestigious to get a job as a researcher in the future or by getting a first at any uni is good enough?
Thanks in advance!!
The uni is important of course. the department does matter. I study Physics at Kings. You need to have a good degree from a respectable degree in order to stand out. A person with a Physics degree from Imperial is definitely going to be better than someone from Keele.

If you are aiming for Oxford then I'd advise you to replace Exeter with Manchester or Kings.
Reply 2
Original post by bored_user:)
The uni is important of course. the department does matter. I study Physics at Kings. You need to have a good degree from a respectable degree in order to stand out. A person with a Physics degree from Imperial is definitely going to be better than someone from Keele.

If you are aiming for Oxford then I'd advise you to replace Exeter with Manchester or Kings.

Ah ok! I just search on the guardian league tables and Exeter is actually above both Manchester and Kings for physics (so is Keele). Also, I believe Exeter is above all of these in the main league table. I understand your point though, thank you.
Original post by Alana8989
Currently in year 13 and applying to unis for physics. I have applied to Oxford, Bath and Leeds so far. I think I'm going to apply to Durham and Exeter as well. I doubt that I'm going to get into oxford - I have great predicted grades but I don't think I will do well in the PAT test. Does anybody have any experience with the other four?? I think my favourites so far are Durham and Bath but I'm not sure as I haven't been able to visit due to corona.
Another point is that I want to go into physics in the future and i intend to do a masters and a phd so is it important that the uni is really prestigious to get a job as a researcher in the future or by getting a first at any uni is good enough?
Thanks in advance!!

Hi my daughter visited Leeds on open day for physics and astrophysics. EC stoner building is absolutely enormous and the libraries we was impressed with, as well as the number of eateries on campus. We ate at the refectory and also physics coffee shop. I think all of your choices are good for a masters course. Leeds is good for nightlife. One of the best uni's for it. The clubs on site are really good. Very close to the city. The halls are for first year and then you have to find your own place for second year onwards. The labs in EC stoner were really impressive as well, very hands on and there was also a room with a load of gadgets they seemed to be making. You could do a Leeds/Durham weekend when lockdown is finished. Go to leeds and have a walk round the campus on the Saturday, stay over night in Durham city, and then have a walk round the Durham campus on the Sunday. Likewise with Bath and Exeter. Just so you get a feel for the place. Durham we looked at online, but the masters there was more than the Oxford entrance of A*A*A.

If you dont get into Oxford, you could do your bsc elsewhere and try again for the masters at Oxford. Or, if you like the uni, continue doing the masters year where you are at. Daughter applied to Oxford last year and got as far as the interview. She is currently doing physics, particle physics and cosmology intergrated masters at a different uni (Lancaster), then plans to do a phd/research position in particle physics elsewhere.
Any of those unis are pretty good for jobwise/phd in the future. You might want to look at each of the courses, look at the programming parts of the course as some are C++ others matlab, python etc.

Good luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending