The Student Room Group

It's official. Medicine applicants rose by 21% this year compared to last.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steve8888
@ecolier @GANFYD @TCL

Hi all In the best scientific tradition of pro activity, I decided to gather as much diagnosis information as I could to understand the indigestion that resulting from the 2 years of CAG AAA debacle and medical places and FY1 And FY2.

In particular seeking confirmation from the Minister of state for universities of how the pressure on foundation year one and foundation year to training posts would be managed by the government. Anyway to cut a long story short after chasing up my Tory MP almost on a monthly basis for five months I have finally received a reply from the minister of State for universities. Don’t get too excited!

Anyway can the gurus on here translate this political gobbledygook/ claptrap and explain if it tells us anything that we don’t already know or it’s just blah blah blah terrority:work:

Wow well done, but sadly as you said it's full of these "political wishy-washy terms", like we are working to ensure, we aimed to ensure etc. Basically useless words.

The important information, that we already know, is that the deferrals are over and above 2021 entries - so hopefully they would not affect the offer numbers for 2021 entry in theory. In practice? We don't know.

Post originally created by ecolier.
So what? Plenty of medics end up leaving the profession for medical research. It isn't all that it is cracked out to be.
Reply 82
@ecolier @GANFYD @TCL

Hi all In the best scientific tradition of pro activity, I decided to gather as much diagnosis information as I could to understand the indigestion that resulting from the 2 years of CAG AAA debacle and medical places and FY1 And FY2.

In particular seeking confirmation from the Minister of state for universities of how the pressure on foundation year one and foundation year to training posts would be managed by the government. Anyway to cut a long story short after chasing up my Tory MP almost on a monthly basis for five months I have finally received a reply from the minister of State for universities. Don’t get too excited!

Anyway can the gurus on here translate this political gobbledygook/ claptrap and explain if it tells us anything that we don’t already know or it’s just blah blah blah terrority:work:

Well done on having the perseverance to keep chasing for that!!
Not sure it tells us much and is pretty generic rubbish, as there are only 9500ish medical school places, so how 23,040 of them can have decided to defer, I am not sure - they have just defaulted to standard UCAS figures, and presumably ignored (or missed) that your question was about medical applicants (if it was)?!
And you can fund all you like, if a med school physically cannot create more places, they cannot accept more students.
About the level of knowledge, understanding and communication skills I would expect from the Government, sadly
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 83
Is it expected to increase next October?
Original post by GANFYD
Well done on having the perseverance to keep chasing for that!!

The Gurus have instilled that perseverance spirit :dumbells:( just as is needed for achieving the Medic Dream irrespective of CAGs, government **** ups and this flaming pandemic ) :adore:
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
Is it expected to increase next October?

Potentially, as long as there's grade inflation and the interest in medicine is unabated.

I think it will.

The Gurus have instilled that perseverance spirit :dumbells:( just as is needed for achieving the Medic Dream irrespective of CAGs, government **** ups and this flaming pandemic ) :adore:

:goodluck:

Yes original question was focused on the negative opportunity impact on year 13 2021 entry applicants with deferrals and CAGS etc

As well as the specific question that @ecolier has raised several times regarding FY1 and FY2 required funding and increase in places / NHS training infrastructure

Blanks on both :facepalm:
Reply 87
Yes original question was focused on the negative opportunity impact on year 13 2021 entry applicants with deferrals and CAGS etc

As well as the specific question that @ecolier has raised several times regarding FY1 and FY2 required funding and increase in places / NHS training infrastructure

Blanks on both :facepalm:

I doubt they understand any of the specifics of it at all and are just parroting some stats they have got an intern to find out!
Reply 88
Great....
Original post by GANFYD
I doubt they understand any of the specifics of it at all and are just parroting some stats they have got an intern to find out!

They couldn’t even get that right in the Ministers parliamentary letter

on their ‘26000 of English based applicants have chosen to defer statement :eek:

Thank God they are not running how this mess is addressed over the next few years
O oops I forgot they are the Government for the new few years -so more Minister Blah blah due after the August legacy CAG Cockups :blah:
@ecolier @GANFYD @TCL

Its vague, but I don't really know what else they could have said. It genuinely is too early for them to be making definitive plans for FY places yet, as we don't know how many of the current 1st years will drop out - it might be more than usual.

It would have been nice for them to at least be able to cite how many more med students actually started this year vs normal though! At least show those cogs were turning!
Original post by nexttime
Its vague, but I don't really know what else they could have said. At least show those cogs were turning!

Bit worrying don’t you think that the Government Minister For Universities (Michelle Donelan MP )has got the 2021 defferral numbers complete wrong in her parliamentary response. Thinking that 23000 have deferred :no:
She had 5 months to come up with that response - clearly not on top on the brief .:facepalm:

That level of incompetence at the Very Top doesn’t instil me with confidence about the success of their Goverment Cogs turning in the right direction for sorting AAA CAG Grade Inflation, and FY1 FY2 places etc:stupid:
Bit worrying don’t you think that the Government Minister For Universities (Michelle Donelan MP )has got the 2021 defferral numbers complete wrong in her parliamentary response. Thinking that 23000 have deferred :no:
She had 5 months to come up with that response - clearly not on top on the brief .:facepalm:

That level of incompetence at the Very Top doesn’t instil me with confidence about the success of their Goverment Cogs turning in the right direction for sorting AAA CAG Grade Inflation, and FY1 FY2 places etc:stupid:

You've juxtapositioned two things I said missing out everything in between, to give what I said a different meaning. Please do not do that.

Its clearly not the minister herself, and technically they didn't say those numbers were only for medicine. I agree they could have been clearer though.
Hi all

A lot of my friends who dont have an offer for medicine or dentistry (not me) have all been arguing amongst each other and i thought i would create this chat.

Do you guys think that next year will be worse in terms of competition, or better?

One is arguing that it will be easier as those who missed GCSES in year 11 last year will not have a tried and proved revision strategy therefore they will not be able to produce the grades, although they are predicted them

Another is arguing that less people got in this year therefore next year will be even harder as even more students will have taken a gap year, I’m intrigued as to your thoughts on this

(posted onto medicine coz more medics than dentists) idk how to use tsr properly. Plz can someone put the tags as both
Original post by Dentalstuudent1
Hi all

A lot of my friends who dont have an offer for medicine or dentistry (not me) have all been arguing amongst each other and i thought i would create this chat.

Do you guys think that next year will be worse in terms of competition, or better?

One is arguing that it will be easier as those who missed GCSES in year 11 last year will not have a tried and proved revision strategy therefore they will not be able to produce the grades, although they are predicted them

Another is arguing that less people got in this year therefore next year will be even harder as even more students will have taken a gap year, I’m intrigued as to your thoughts on this

Already discussed at length in this thread - as long as there's grade inflation it's likely that it will remain significantly more competitive than pre-2020 levels.

(posted onto medicine coz more medics than dentists) idk how to use tsr properly. Plz can someone put the tags as both

There'll be a temporary redirect from the Dentistry forum.

Original post by Dentalstuudent1
Hi all

Do read this thread but I'd say the factors are:

- More people reapplying from this year
- Ongoing grade inflation encouraging people to apply that normally wouldn't (both those who take a gap year and people doing A-levels for first time)
- Publicity from the pandemic - I don't think that will have 'worn off' yet
- Increasing publicity of how hard it is for new grads to get a job over the coming year might actually make the above even more prominent
- A general trend for more and more applicants year on year for the last several years

I think there will be more applicants next year personally.
Reply 96
Hi guys! As students got theirs Alevel results yesterday, it's already known that grade inflation dramatically increased. Apparently by 75% (speaking about A* and A).
I also saw some news that medical schools will offer £10k for students who will decide to defer for 2022 or change uni as too many applicants got offers. I'm not sure if it's a rumour or a fact thought.

I'm applying in 2022 and I'm really worried, competition will be insane! People after gap year, all those deferred entries from 2021 + all the rest of new applicants.

What do you guys think?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Kiki666
Hi guys! As students got theirs Alevel results yesterday, it's already known that grade inflation dramatically increased. Apparently by 75% (speaking about A* and A).
I also saw some news that medical schools will offer £10k for students who will decide to defer for 2022 as too many applicants got offers. I'm not sure if it's a rumour or a fact thought.

I'm applying in 2022 and I'm really worried, competition will be insane! People after gap year, all those deferred entries from 2021 + all the rest of new applicants.

What do you guys think?

I think I don't envy the position of anyone applying next year. The subpar applicants will probably get filtered out pretty quickly, but there will be an ever greater excess of 'perfect' medical applicants too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending