The Student Room Group

Struggling with ENGAA

I've literally tried every single past paper (not the specimens) on physics and maths tutor, and I still haven't breached 50 percent. I'm an all As student doing 4 subjects and I've pretty much been studying as hard as I ever have, and I still can't achieve what I'm setting out to do. Do I give up on my dream of getting in at this point!? Or is there some way to improve so I can have a chance of getting an interview? Advice would be appreciated.
Original post by WillC32415
I've literally tried every single past paper (not the specimens) on physics and maths tutor, and I still haven't breached 50 percent. I'm an all As student doing 4 subjects and I've pretty much been studying as hard as I ever have, and I still can't achieve what I'm setting out to do. Do I give up on my dream of getting in at this point!? Or is there some way to improve so I can have a chance of getting an interview? Advice would be appreciated.

Which strategy are you using for the ENGAA tests? I, as the equivalent of a Year 12 student (am international and during quarantine decided that Cambridge is one of my dream schools that I will apply to), believe that the problems aren't very difficult. However, the time limit is the problem. I would recommend you to leave the questions for the end for which you don't already know how to solve while reading the question. Also, focus on the ENGAA since it is the big part of your application which admissions use to decide if you will get an interview. Good luck and I will answer again if you give me more information of how you take on the ENGAA test! Which college are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by ScienceApply_22
Which strategy are you using for the ENGAA tests? I, as the equivalent of a Year 12 student (am international and during quarantine decided that Cambridge is one of my dream schools that I will apply to), believe that the problems aren't very difficult. However, the time limit is the problem. I would recommend you to leave the questions for the end for which you don't already know how to solve while reading the question. Also, focus on the ENGAA since it is the big part of your application which admissions use to decide if you will get an interview. Good luck and I will answer again if you give me more information of how you take on the ENGAA test! Which college are you applying for?

I am applying to st Catharines. In terms of strategy I usually just try each question and skip if my method seems wrong (it usually is in these cases). I usually answer about 65 percent of the questions get about 70 percent of the questions I complete correct.
Original post by WillC32415
I am applying to st Catharines. In terms of strategy I usually just try each question and skip if my method seems wrong (it usually is in these cases). I usually answer about 65 percent of the questions get about 70 percent of the questions I complete correct.

You should immediately skip the questions you are not sure of how to answer right away. Doing questions fast and correctly is more important than attempting every single one. Then, if you have time at the end go back to the others, eliminate a few answers if possible and ultimately make an educated guess. Good luck! Hopefully we both get in and possibly bump into each other :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending