The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Staffordshire uni Qs

I know I could just contact the uni but the truth is I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing, also the next online open day is in December and I am hoping to find some stuff out before I apply internally in November.
So basically I’m thinking of doing a fine art degree but I have maths chemistry and physics at a levels, I’m predicted Cs but I’m hopeful I can get at least BCC which I know is lower than the requirement of BBC but I have extra stuff to increase my tariff points tho I’m not sure if that’ll be accepted over grades. I have a strong portfolio but I was thinking it would be a good idea to apply to both the foundation art and design course and also the fine art degree course. Would that work? Or could I apply for the fine art degree and discuss this in the interview, can they do that?
I also have a few questions about student accommodation, basically I’m about to get a motorbike and was thinking I could take it with me to uni as there’s no point in leaving it at home (I live in romsey so I’d use it to get home for the holidays) but as far as I can tell there’s no permanent parking? I’ll hopefully be staying in the stoke-on-Trent Leek road halls which I know there isn’t any parking available, but I was wondering if there’s any permanent parking anywhere near there that I could use and how much it would cost?
Also are there any good places around the uni where I could get a weekend job fairly easily?
Apologies for the long post, any info is much appreciated
Original post by _Jss
I know I could just contact the uni but the truth is I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing, also the next online open day is in December and I am hoping to find some stuff out before I apply internally in November.
So basically I’m thinking of doing a fine art degree but I have maths chemistry and physics at a levels, I’m predicted Cs but I’m hopeful I can get at least BCC which I know is lower than the requirement of BBC but I have extra stuff to increase my tariff points tho I’m not sure if that’ll be accepted over grades. I have a strong portfolio but I was thinking it would be a good idea to apply to both the foundation art and design course and also the fine art degree course. Would that work? Or could I apply for the fine art degree and discuss this in the interview, can they do that?
I also have a few questions about student accommodation, basically I’m about to get a motorbike and was thinking I could take it with me to uni as there’s no point in leaving it at home (I live in romsey so I’d use it to get home for the holidays) but as far as I can tell there’s no permanent parking? I’ll hopefully be staying in the stoke-on-Trent Leek road halls which I know there isn’t any parking available, but I was wondering if there’s any permanent parking anywhere near there that I could use and how much it would cost?
Also are there any good places around the uni where I could get a weekend job fairly easily?
Apologies for the long post, any info is much appreciated

Hi @_Jss

Thanks for getting in touch. It looks like your A-Levels aren't quite taking you where you want to, but your art practice is (Which is great!).

In terms of applying to Fine Art or Art and Design Foundation. Applicants do come from a variety of backgrounds and are assessed individually. A strong portfolio of work will definitely help though. There is no issue in applying for Foundation as well. If the Course Team felt you weren't quite ready for the Fine Art degree they would most likely recommend the Foundation route anyway. (I'm checking with them to see if there is any other advice they can offer you).

Accommodation: It's best to contact our ResLife team directly via [email protected] - They will be happy to help your accommodation questions.

Jobs: Our Careers Studio will be able to give you advice on opportunities for part-time work. Just email [email protected]
You can also read more here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/students/careers/work-experience/part-time-work

Hope this is enough information for you ahead of the open day.
In the meantime, here is a sneak peak of the Fine Art studios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbC0ZzFCoE
Best wishes, Shaun
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @_Jss

Thanks for getting in touch. It looks like your A-Levels aren't quite taking you where you want to, but your art practice is (Which is great!).

In terms of applying to Fine Art or Art and Design Foundation. Applicants do come from a variety of backgrounds and are assessed individually. A strong portfolio of work will definitely help though. There is no issue in applying for Foundation as well. If the Course Team felt you weren't quite ready for the Fine Art degree they would most likely recommend the Foundation route anyway. (I'm checking with them to see if there is any other advice they can offer you).

Accommodation: It's best to contact our ResLife team directly via [email protected] - They will be happy to help your accommodation questions.

Jobs: Our Careers Studio will be able to give you advice on opportunities for part-time work. Just email [email protected]
You can also read more here: https://www.staffs.ac.uk/students/careers/work-experience/part-time-work

Hope this is enough information for you ahead of the open day.
In the meantime, here is a sneak peak of the Fine Art studios: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMbC0ZzFCoE
Best wishes, Shaun

Hi @_Jss
Just to update you, I've had a response from the Fine Art Team:

"Either way would work. It is best for us if the applicant applies to both courses as during the busy period of interviews it is flagged up at that stage that the student is considering entry to both courses. We would assess the portfolio, and through the interview, whether the student is appropriate for either course"

Hope that helps with your decision making.
Best wishes,
Shaun

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending