The Student Room Group

revoking degree

Hi, i submitted work that was done by someone else as in like those website where they can help you with ur assignment, and at the time i really needed help, but i now know how wrong that was, and tht it could affect me badly, also i have already gotten the degree. and now the 'company' who did the work are blackmailing me because i said i did not like the work, and are saying they will contact the university and tutors and send invoices and screenshots of conversation showing i did not do the work unless i paid them to not contact them and delete my details, which i did not pay cause i thought it was a scam. But now im scared that it might actually be true and they might contact them and do you think my university will revoke my degree or take legal action around this or is it probably just a scam, im just very scared, even though this is the consequence of me doing something like this and not my own work.
Original post by abihanadir
Hi, i submitted work that was done by someone else as in like those website where they can help you with ur assignment, and at the time i really needed help, but i now know how wrong that was, and tht it could affect me badly, also i have already gotten the degree. and now the 'company' who did the work are blackmailing me because i said i did not like the work, and are saying they will contact the university and tutors and send invoices and screenshots of conversation showing i did not do the work unless i paid them to not contact them and delete my details, which i did not pay cause i thought it was a scam. But now im scared that it might actually be true and they might contact them and do you think my university will revoke my degree or take legal action around this or is it probably just a scam, im just very scared, even though this is the consequence of me doing something like this and not my own work.

In which country is this business?

As for the uni it depends? Yes they have the power to revoke, it depends.
Will they take it seriously?
Do they care?
Did you get a good degree?

Some unis would take it very seriously and imo others have too much on their plate.
The other person wants money i.e blackmail, so in return if they try and blackmail you, then you can point out its been sent to the police with their details and that of the company.

Sounds like a scam as well.
Whatever is the world coming to youd think if you are going to use an essay mill to cheat the uni, then they would have a bit of integrity and trustworthiness for their customers.
Original post by 999tigger
In which country is this business?

As for the uni it depends? Yes they have the power to revoke, it depends.
Will they take it seriously?
Do they care?
Did you get a good degree?

Some unis would take it very seriously and imo others have too much on their plate.
The other person wants money i.e blackmail, so in return if they try and blackmail you, then you can point out its been sent to the police with their details and that of the company.

Sounds like a scam as well.
Whatever is the world coming to youd think if you are going to use an essay mill to cheat the uni, then they would have a bit of integrity and trustworthiness for their customers.

its an UE paper website, wanting the money in pounds i think it was from here.
oh okay so its depends on the university, got it. i hope they dont take it seriously as i only ended with a 2:2 degree after all of it.
my university isnt one of the major ones its very low in the ranking near the 60-80s for uk university rankings i think.
okay, thank you.
i have not slept and im overdrawn from my bank because i was stupid enough to listen to them to pay the money for them not to contact the university as i was scared for myself and scared my family will find out and be disappointed. but did not pay the fee amount when they said they will keep the data and send it to the university, and somehow knew my university and tutor name, and where blackmailing me and saying that it will effect me and my university will revoke my degree and ask for a 7000 fine, and even said they will try and deport me (im a uk citizen).I just really needed to know if it was real and if it was how my university would take it.
hopefully the university does not take it seriously, im sorry for writing so much, im still very scared
Assuming any of this happened, it sounds like you're F'd in the A basically since they know your details, your uni/tutor details, and can in all likelihood prove they are the author of the work, police can't stop them doing that.
Original post by StriderHort
Assuming any of this happened, it sounds like you're F'd in the A basically since they know your details, your uni/tutor details, and can in all likelihood prove they are the author of the work, police can't stop them doing that.

Do you think this will become really serious and the university could take legal action towards it?
its an UE paper website, wanting the money in pounds i think it was from here.
oh okay so its depends on the university, got it. i hope they dont take it seriously as i only ended with a 2:2 degree after all of it.
my university isnt one of the major ones its very low in the ranking near the 60-80s for uk university rankings i think.
okay, thank you.
i have not slept and im overdrawn from my bank because i was stupid enough to listen to them to pay the money for them not to contact the university as i was scared for myself and scared my family will find out and be disappointed. but did not pay the fee amount when they said they will keep the data and send it to the university, and somehow knew my university and tutor name, and where blackmailing me and saying that it will effect me and my university will revoke my degree and ask for a 7000 fine, and even said they will try and deport me (im a uk citizen).I just really needed to know if it was real and if it was how my university would take it.
hopefully the university does not take it seriously, im sorry for writing so much, im still very scared

You should have asked here first and I would have told you not to pay it.
Sounds more like a freelancer who has blakcmailed you.
What will you do if they come back asking for more?
How cna a uni ask for a £7000 fine?

You paid them or you didnt pay them?

You put yourself in a stupid position. You would have been better off employing a tutor to explain things for you.

Anyway its done now. You committed an offence, they committed an offence and I doubt people will have much sympathy for either of you.
Do you think this will become really serious and the university could take legal action towards it?

*shrug* Impossible for me to say how seriously such a complaint would be taken or whether they would go to those lengths. But if they have the motive, the means and the opportunity to do it....

The big problem is you've put yourself in a situation you can't now control. In your first post you said you didn't pay them, in your second you did, which is it?
Original post by 999tigger
You should have asked here first and I would have told you not to pay it.
Sounds more like a freelancer who has blakcmailed you.
What will you do if they come back asking for more?
How cna a uni ask for a £7000 fine?

You paid them or you didnt pay them?

You put yourself in a stupid position. You would have been better off employing a tutor to explain things for you.

Anyway its done now. You committed an offence, they committed an offence and I doubt people will have much sympathy for either of you.

i paid them and then they asked for more and thats when i didnt pay them because i physically couldnt and i figured what ****ed up situation i got myself into..
So basically i cant do anything now can i, either wait for my university to get an email from them and this being serious or just keep getting annoyed by the texts and calls from them.
great so theres a chance my university will know because they have my details
Original post by StriderHort
*shrug* Impossible for me to say how seriously such a complaint would be taken or whether they would go to those lengths. But if they have the motive, the means and the opportunity to do it....

The big problem is you've put yourself in a situation you can't now control. In your first post you said you didn't pay them, in your second you did, which is it?

i did and also i didnt, i payed them what they called was a request to cancel verification, in which a legal meber would go to my university and check if i used the paper, and the second amount tht i did not pay where i eventually knew i ****ed up, even though i ****ed up just by allowing them to write a paper, that amount was to delete my data from their database otherwise they said their team might email ur tutor, and thts where they kept calling and texting saying they will now press the button to send the email to my university and it will effect you and be out of their hands.
i paid them and then they asked for more and thats when i didnt pay them because i physically couldnt and i figured what ****ed up situation i got myself into..
So basically i cant do anything now can i, either wait for my university to get an email from them and this being serious or just keep getting annoyed by the texts and calls from them.
great so theres a chance my university will know because they have my details

Just keep all the incriminating evidence against them.
okay, got it.
Original post by lagibolala47
i did and also i didnt, i payed them what they called was a request to cancel verification, in which a legal meber would go to my university and check if i used the paper, and the second amount tht i did not pay where i eventually knew i ****ed up, even though i ****ed up just by allowing them to write a paper, that amount was to delete my data from their database otherwise they said their team might email ur tutor, and thts where they kept calling and texting saying they will now press the button to send the email to my university and it will effect you and be out of their hands.

It’s been 2 years, what was the outcome of this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending