The Student Room Group

Awful heating in student halls

So I’ve had my radiator on full belt for 2 weeks and during the day my room is freezing! The radiator only gets warm not hot until about 10 at night when suddenly my room becomes a sauna. At night it’s too hot and all day too cold.
I’ve been using hot water bottles during the day but don’t want to turn it off at night as then it’ll b even colder the next day. Any ideas?
electric heater time?
Reply 2
Original post by tinygirl96
electric heater time?

They’re not allowed as they’re a ‘fire hazard’ :frown:
Original post by Sophhhowa
So I’ve had my radiator on full belt for 2 weeks and during the day my room is freezing! The radiator only gets warm not hot until about 10 at night when suddenly my room becomes a sauna. At night it’s too hot and all day too cold.
I’ve been using hot water bottles during the day but don’t want to turn it off at night as then it’ll b even colder the next day. Any ideas?

lol :biggrin:

your uni is throttling your heating during the day to try and save ££££

correction,
they're not allowed because the uni wants to save money

"fire hazard" is just the excuse they feed you.
Wear warm clothes with lots of layers and buy extra blankets.
Alternatively you can buy a heater.

What did they say when you reported it?

Heated blanket?

Buy a heater and say that unreliable radiators are a hazard
Unsurprisingly the Vice Chancellor or private sector landlord has noticed that they get to keep more of your money for themselves if they spend less of it on heating you up

You might be able to make an effective complaint and get the heating turned on for longer if you have some data... i.e. get a thermometer and make a temperature diary.

while you're waiting for that to work, some of the bargain shops* are still open and sell thermal vests & hats

* B&M, Pounstretchers, Home Bargain etc
I would buy a little fan heater. They are expensive to run but that will not be your problem. Hide it under the bed when they do a room inspection.
are you still struggling with being at halls? :tongue:
wear layers and the underneath layers should be tight against your skin. wear scarves, gloves and hat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending