The Student Room Group

GCSE subjects

Hi, thank you in advance for even just reading this.
So due to health issues I have had to drop a few gcses at school to create a reduced timetable. I'm already self-studying physics gcse to take the exam at my school with the year above in the 2021 session (started the textbook by myself in June and have just finished the content(making notes along the way), so am doing loads of practice questions and revision for active recall) and I'm actually finding it fairly easy to self-study as i have lots of motivation.
so I'm doing all the core (triple sci, English lit & lang, maths and add maths) and then I'm doing latin, textiles and Spanish (predicted straight 8s and 9s). Ik there will be some people saying that's enough but i would like to self study another gcse in case something goes wrong with my health next year and i have to drop one of my current options. So: I feel fairly confident with my ability so I don't just want an 'easy' option and since i would like to take the exam at school there aren't masses of options.
I'm thinking of maybe doing a humanity but history is too much content in too short a space of time from what I've heard (please correct me if I'm wrong!) and i don't know whether it would be realistic to do rs or geography. i did geog last year and constantly got 90% or above in the tests so i think i could do that easily from home I'm just worried about whether fieldwork would be compulsory, idek? It really doesn't have to be a humanity at all, please may anyone just suggest a gcse that would be realistic to self study or one they thought might complement my other subjects well.
Thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by isobeln
So due to health issues I have had to drop a few gcses at school to create a reduced timetable. I'm already self-studying physics gcse to take the exam at my school with the year above in the 2021 session (started the textbook by myself in June and have just finished the content(making notes along the way), so am doing loads of practice questions and revision for active recall) and I'm actually finding it fairly easy to self-study as i have lots of motivation.
so I'm doing all the core (triple sci, English lit & lang, maths and add maths) and then I'm doing latin, textiles and Spanish (predicted straight 8s and 9s). Ik there will be some people saying that's enough but i would like to self study another gcse in case something goes wrong with my health next year and i have to drop one of my current options. So: I feel fairly confident with my ability so I don't just want an 'easy' option and since i would like to take the exam at school there aren't masses of options.
I'm thinking of maybe doing a humanity but history is too much content in too short a space of time from what I've heard (please correct me if I'm wrong!) and i don't know whether it would be realistic to do rs or geography. i did geog last year and constantly got 90% or above in the tests so i think i could do that easily from home I'm just worried about whether fieldwork would be compulsory, idek? It really doesn't have to be a humanity at all, please may anyone just suggest a gcse that would be realistic to self study or one they thought might complement my other subjects well.
Thank you so much!

I do geography gcse and it’s much easier to self study. A bit boring but that’s. Personal preference. I think bcs of corona field work amy have been cancelled. I never got round to asking my teacher tho. For geography it’s good that you have an idea of what’s it’s like and you know u were good at it. I thing if you can confirm about the fieldwork then it’s a very good option.

I did Rs gcse last year and it was quite interesting and fairly easy since I knew about one of the religions and just actually had to learn abt the other one (like I chose my religion and another one). Rs was also quite enjoyable if you feel like you’ll be bored of geography and won’t be motivated enough then do some research on Rs gcse. Look at the specifications for further information on content.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm not sure if it's available but if you're determined and enjoy it you could do another language? It's always great being able to speak another language. Also, you could do another Latin language and you'd find it a lot easier due to you already studying Latin and Spanish. I never studied History at GCSE but it would definitely be a good subject to learn upon. However, I can't comment on whether it will be hard to learn all the content or not. I wish you luck - I hope you succeed.
Original post by isobeln
Thank you so much!

I do edexcel history, and I agree that there is way too much content to learn, but you seem determined so it may be possible. I just don’t recommend it.

Can you do business? This may not be a subject you’re interested in doing, but I do it (aqa) and it’s possible to self learn. If you are able to grasp the basics, and understand it, it won’t be hard to do well in.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JcRaven05
I do edexcel history, and I agree that there is way too much content to learn, but you seem determined so it may be possible. I just don’t recommend it.

Can you do business? This may not be a subject you’re interested in doing, but I do it (edexcel) and it’s possible to self learn. If you are able to grasp the basics, and understand it, it won’t be hard to do well in.

Oh yes business is pretty easy to self learn. I do AQA I can send you a random page form my textbook I have it open image.jpgimage.jpg
Original post by isobeln
Thank you so much!

Personally I find RS to be quite interesting and the content is not too difficult to grasp it may also be an easier option than taking geography.
Original post by S Z H
I do geography gcse and it’s much easier to self study. A bit boring but that’s. Personal preference. I think bcs of corona field work amy have been cancelled. I never got round to asking my teacher tho. For geography it’s good that you have an idea of what’s it’s like and you know u were good at it. I thing if you can confirm about the fieldwork then it’s a very good option.

I did Rs gcse last year and it was quite interesting and fairly easy since I knew about one of the religions and just actually had to learn abt the other one (like I chose my religion and another one). Rs was also quite enjoyable if you feel like you’ll be bored of geography and won’t be motivated enough then do some research on Rs gcse. Look at the specifications for further information on content.

Hope this helps :smile:

thank you so much! that's so useful. yeah I'm thinking of going for geog coz if i do it in 2021, the fieldwork has already been cancelled so i wouldn't have to worry about that. am def toying between those two. and as to regards to your other post about business - i agree it wld be a great idea and tysm for sending me photos of the textbook but i don't think it's an option unfortunately! thank you so much x
Original post by KieronIX
I'm not sure if it's available but if you're determined and enjoy it you could do another language? It's always great being able to speak another language. Also, you could do another Latin language and you'd find it a lot easier due to you already studying Latin and Spanish. I never studied History at GCSE but it would definitely be a good subject to learn upon. However, I can't comment on whether it will be hard to learn all the content or not. I wish you luck - I hope you succeed.

yeah, that would be a gd idea I'm just really bad at languages!!! i wld love to be able to do another but I'm just bad with linguistics apart from Latin which I find rlly easy aha. thank u so much. good luck to you too x

Can you do business? This may not be a subject you’re interested in doing, but I do it (edexcel) and it’s possible to self learn. If you are able to grasp the basics, and understand it, it won’t be hard to do well in.

thank you, yeah i think i've decided against history coz there's just so much. business cld be good but I don't think it's an option for me but otherwise it wld be great coz I've heard half of it's literally just common sense! good luck to you too!

btw idk if it was u but i think it was so i hope your art is going ok - lemme know if u decide to go for something kinda ethereal!
Reply 9
Original post by isobeln
thank you so much! that's so useful. yeah I'm thinking of going for geog coz if i do it in 2021, the fieldwork has already been cancelled so i wouldn't have to worry about that. am def toying between those two. and as to regards to your other post about business - i agree it wld be a great idea and tysm for sending me photos of the textbook but i don't think it's an option unfortunately! thank you so much x

No problem
Original post by Achoo2020
Personally I find RS to be quite interesting and the content is not too difficult to grasp it may also be an easier option than taking geography.

cool, ty - i am leaning towards those two!
Reply 11
Original post by isobeln
cool, ty - i am leaning towards those two!

Oh Yh geo is a bit boring and the writing amount is the same
Original post by isobeln
thank you, yeah i think i've decided against history coz there's just so much. business cld be good but I don't think it's an option for me but otherwise it wld be great coz I've heard half of it's literally just common sense! good luck to you too!

btw idk if it was u but i think it was so i hope your art is going ok - lemme know if u decide to go for something kinda ethereal!

Thanks!
Yeah it was me. I’ve decided to do a theme on superstitions, but in a dark fantasy, ethereal style. It’s hard to explain over comment, but hopefully it’ll look good.
Thanks!
Yeah it was me. I’ve decided to do a theme on superstitions, but in a dark fantasy, ethereal style. It’s hard to explain over comment, but hopefully it’ll look good.

Oh cool! good luck that sounds rlly cool!

Quick Reply

Latest