The Student Room Group

As and A level

In sixth form now studying law criminology and psychology at the end of this year ill have my as levels and will finish year 12 I wanted to do year 13 in college while still studying criminology where I am now (because they don’t have it in the college).I wanted to pick up 2 others and essentially get another 2 as/a2 levels andcontinue psychology and law a level because they do offer it. So at the end I will have a level 3 criminology diploma, psychology and law a level and 2 as levels would this be ok to get into unis that want 3 a levels assuming the grades are ok? I know it’s about the ucas points so I assumed 2as = 1 alevel
Reply 1
It's unlikely you'd be able to continue Criminology in one place and other A levels elsewhere. It's unlikely to timetable and the Criminology sixth form won't get any money for you unless there is some form of agreement between the 2 sixth forms.

If I've understood you correctly, next year you're intending to complete 3 A levels and take AS in 2 more (so 5 subjects in total). That's a lot of work and far more than you need to do. Also, there's no guarantee the 4 subject AS/A level combination at college would timetable (or that they'd let you study 4 subjects) - have you checked this?

If you're applying to university the some offers are grades based and some are points based. A grades based offer will not consider 2 AS to be equivalent to one A level. For points, an AS at a certain grade is worth 40% of the points of the same grade at A level.
Original post by Compost
It's unlikely you'd be able to continue Criminology in one place and other A levels elsewhere. It's unlikely to timetable and the Criminology sixth form won't get any money for you unless there is some form of agreement between the 2 sixth forms.

If I've understood you correctly, next year you're intending to complete 3 A levels and take AS in 2 more (so 5 subjects in total). That's a lot of work and far more than you need to do. Also, there's no guarantee the 4 subject AS/A level combination at college would timetable (or that they'd let you study 4 subjects) - have you checked this?

If you're applying to university the some offers are grades based and some are points based. A grades based offer will not consider 2 AS to be equivalent to one A level. For points, an AS at a certain grade is worth 40% of the points of the same grade at A level.

Ohh okay thanks yeah the time table works and the two schools have agreed because I’ll just be joining criminology online. My dad put the idea in my head as he said unis won’t accept my criminology ‘points’ as it’s not an a level so I’ll end up with only 2 and wouldn’t be able to get into uni! Thanks for your help though
Original post by swag dog
No, 3 A levels means 3 A levels. However it is true that what they ask for is negotiable. for example I went to a uni asking for A*A*A with BBB. the strength of your personal statement and interview goes a long way. also many unis offer foundation years which are like year 13s and from there you can go to the degree level course

Thanks I just thought as an as + a2 = a level why wouldn’t as + as if that makes sense
Reply 4
Original post by ellemarie754
Ohh okay thanks yeah the time table works and the two schools have agreed because I’ll just be joining criminology online. My dad put the idea in my head as he said unis won’t accept my criminology ‘points’ as it’s not an a level so I’ll end up with only 2 and wouldn’t be able to get into uni! Thanks for your help though

I can't see why universities wouldn't accept Criminology. The vast majority accept other Level 3 courses for most courses and this should be no different.

Quick Reply

Latest