The Student Room Group

Career in museum curation?

I’m really interested in this career path but I’m just wondering how likely it would be to actually secure a job in this sector. I understand that work experience is needed, so I was planning to try and do an internship and some volunteering for a year then do an MA in museum studies. Would this be enough to then get a job? Just how competitive is this industry and do I have chance in being successful?
Edit: my undergrad is in psychology, will this hold me back?
(edited 3 years ago)
Find out online. Most museums have careers listed on their websites, you can email or call as well.
Original post by crimsonclover
I’m really interested in this career path but I’m just wondering how likely it would be to actually secure a job in this sector. I understand that work experience is needed, so I was planning to try and do an internship and some volunteering for a year then do an MA in museum studies. Would this be enough to then get a job? Just how competitive is this industry and do I have chance in being successful?

Lots of museums letting people go at the moment and reducing their staff, so there are many more experienced museum staff on the market. in theory, with a year of volunteering and a Masters you could get a job, but...

Look at the University of Leicester, Museum Jobs website for an idea of what's available at the moment and not how much of it is permanent and well paid (none!)
Reply 3
Original post by crimsonclover

I see from other previous posts that you're in Liverpool - honestly there is no better city when it comes to museums and associated creative industries as far as getting experience. Don't just contact the Tate and NML, approach Bluecoat, Open Eye, FACT, the Palm House in Sefton Park, Metal to see what you could help with even working from home, and really bug the team at the Victoria Gallery to get you in on lots of projects.
Make the most of being in such a brilliantly cultural city, you could really get that CV looking amazing, even during lockdown.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending