The Student Room Group

Would you give a stranger your phone to borrow?

This happened to me last week while at the bus stop; this woman in her early 20s asked if I could lend her my phone. She seemed decently dressed and good looking (lol) so I said why not.

Now my friend says I'm an idiot and she could have run off with it. But she didn't look sketchy at all.

Would you do the same as me?

Scroll to see replies

No.
Do you mean lend for them to make a phone call?
Reply 3
Original post by hijackedbrother
This happened to me last week while at the bus stop; this woman in her early 20s asked if I could lend her my phone. She seemed decently dressed and good looking (lol) so I said why not.

Now my friend says I'm an idiot and she could have run off with it. But she didn't look sketchy at all.

Nope.
Reply 4
If they needed to make a phone call, yes. Ive been on the opposite side of that before and it means a lot.
No. If they needed to make a call, they should tell me the number and I will type it in myself. Unless no circumstances should they themselves type anything on my phone.
yes if they seemed well dressed and polite
I would if they seemed genuine. I can usually tell if someone would do something like that.
Yes if they seemed like an approachable person. If they run with it, it’s ok I have mo farah’s great great great great granddaughter so I can catch up in no time
Yes. As long as they stood next to me.
Reply 10
I'd go with my gut feeling at the time. I have done it in the past
If they were approachable looking, depending on the context and location, potentially
depends
I would direct them to the nearest pay phone
Reply 14
I have on a coach journey, but it's not as though they can run very far with my phone on National Express!

The other times I've been approached I've either told them I've just seen a policeman who could help, or offered to dial the number, depending on what sob story they've given. They've walked away, so obviously scammers.

it depends mabe if it is a emergency
Original post by HoodDogs
it depends mabe if it is a emergency

u know
Reply 17

No Is my answer

but I did somehow end up ringing a cab for a drunk person who asked me, and then eventually handed him the phone to let him speak to them.

He caught me on one of the rare days I actually had spare minutes, and this was a major factor in why I leant him my phone. Had I had 0 minutes like I usually do then I would not have made the call nor handed to him.

If he had just cold approached me asking to borrow my phone, I would have said no. but by time he asked me about me calling him a cab we had been speaking several minutes and I was less wary of them. I did not have any fear of him running off with it, as he was in no state to escape me. but I did have a fear of him just smashing it on the floor or something (he was drunk), but figured he probably would not do that as he do that when i've been friendly and helpful to him.

Normally though, if someone asks me to borrow a phone i would probably just say no. If an attractive female asked though, I would probably be a bit more likely to help than if it were a male.
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldn’t give it to them but I’d perhaps ask why they’d need it. I could do something like call a taxi for them for instance.
Depends who it is.

Quick Reply

Latest