The Student Room Group

1st from top RG uni vs 2:1 from oxbridge

is a 1st from like LSE or UCL or Edinburgh as good as/better than/worse than a 2:1 from oxbridge? what do you think in general, and what about for specific courses?
Always hard to get a comparison since it's different courses/standards. Some people with a good first from one of those unis might have got a first at Oxbridge, might've not. Equally some people who got a 2:1 at Oxbridge might've got a first going elsewhere.

Don't think it'd be fair or accurate to say "a first at a non-Oxbridge top uni is the same as a 2:1 from Oxbridge", at all. Doesn't really seem to matter in the long run anyway.
*goes to find popcorn* Dis gunna b gd
Does it matter? As long as you go to a good uni, even outside of RG as for some courses non RG unis rank better than most RG unis, and get a good degree then surely your doors are open still. There is too much focus on Oxbridge and league tables. I know people who were miserable at RG or Oxbridge, and wished they went somewhere better suited to their course rather than for the name
How many times has this question been asked? How many times has this question been answered?
Original post by Studentystudent!
Does it matter? As long as you go to a good uni, even outside of RG as for some courses non RG unis rank better than most RG unis, and get a good degree then surely your doors are open still. There is too much focus on Oxbridge and league tables. I know people who were miserable at RG or Oxbridge, and wished they went somewhere better suited to their course rather than for the name

no it doesn't matter I just think it's a fun debate. obviously the best uni for you might not be the most prestigious etc. etc.
1. Depends on which RG uni, UCL IC LSE are different from the likes of Birmingham. There's such a big range within RG.
2. Depends on the grade inflation at your uni
3. Depends on your exact percentage (69% and 60% mean completely different things at Cambridge)

That's exactly why people tend to state their percentage on CV, because these general categorical clusters have so much overlap it hardly means anything.

In an average case scenario, 75% at UCL is probably equivalent to 65-69% at Cambridge, you have to always treat oxbridge with a bit more respect because they enforce a strict normalized marking and only 30% can get 1st class regardless of how well you perform. In some other unis, the majority of students get 1st class.
(edited 3 years ago)
If there are 2 candidates with the same degrees and the last straw in selection was to make a decision based on the degree solely then I would not hesitate to pick the 2:1 degree from oxbridge over the RG 1st :colonhash:
only people on tsr care about hypotheticals like this. lmao
Original post by DeadChairSwinger
is a 1st from like LSE or UCL or Edinburgh as good as/better than/worse than a 2:1 from oxbridge? what do you think in general, and what about for specific courses?

TBH I dont think any decisions boil down to those facts.
Realistically for jobs you would look at the whole application including academics then conduct interviews, and the interview would be far more impactful.

For a PhD I think a 1st would be more desirable but again their would be more to it, such as how did they do on the disso or their knowledge specific to the niche area of the research project.
Original post by MalcolmX
only people on tsr care about hypotheticals like this. lmao

OK malcolm aren't you meant to be dead
wtf do u mean by "as good as"

who's judging
Original post by mnot
TBH I dont think any decisions boil down to those facts.
Realistically for jobs you would look at the whole application including academics then conduct interviews, and the interview would be far more impactful.

For a PhD I think a 1st would be more desirable but again their would be more to it, such as how did they do on the disso or their knowledge specific to the niche area of the research project.

If they have a good masters for the PhD then it’s less important
Original post by Studentystudent!
If they have a good masters for the PhD then it’s less important

I was dealing with the facts provided, but you could easily sub out distinction & merit in place of 1st & 2.1 to make a comparable
Original post by mnot
I was dealing with the facts provided, but you could easily sub out distinction & merit in place of 1st & 2.1 to make a comparable

Some good funding would ask strictly for 1st plus distinction, so 1st, from anywhere including expoly, does have some advantages in PhD application, But the same may not be true in job market.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending