The Student Room Group

Have any year 12s started preparing for their University application?

I still have no idea where or what I want to study but people I know have already started putting together a rough personal statement. Please tell me i'm not the only one with no clue!!
Reply 1
Your still at the beginning of year 12 you have plenty of time. Most people start they personal statement in Summer or at beginning of year 13. Open days aren't till around May-June ish I think so thats when you get a proper idea of what you might like to do!
Reply 2
Original post by socialscifan
I still have no idea where or what I want to study but people I know have already started putting together a rough personal statement. Please tell me i'm not the only one with no clue!!

I know what i want to do and where i want to go, but i'm not going to start writing my personal statement until the summer. As miao8 says, we have plenty of time, better to save it for when we're slightly less busy.
I know if i wrote my personal statement now, i would read it in the summer, dislike it, and end up rewriting the whole thing anyway, so why waste the time?
Original post by Zuvio
I know what i want to do and where i want to go, but i'm not going to start writing my personal statement until the summer. As miao8 says, we have plenty of time, better to save it for when we're slightly less busy.
I know if i wrote my personal statement now, i would read it in the summer, dislike it, and end up rewriting the whole thing anyway, so why waste the time?

Im in year 13 and have already recieved some offers, i sent my application of at the start of november. If i could go back, i would have definitely started my personal statement earlier. I started mine in the summer but then a week before submitting my application i changed my mind and rewrote it for a completely different course. So start now even if you know you will change it later - at least you will have an idea of how a good personal statement looks like. Year 13 is really busy and trust me if you leave everything till the summer its going to be so much stress.
Reply 4
Maybe just start reading a few books into several topics you like? I'm considering English Literature and potentially combining that with French, so I'm reading a lot of fiction for English, I need to get started on reading more French (I've watched a film or two and made friends with a French girl online, kind of like pen-pals) and I'm also considering something law-based or political, so I'm considering getting some reading for that too. I'm also doing essay competitions, planning to apply to summer schools when they open in January, etc.
(I'm also in Year 12)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pichi
Maybe just start reading a few books into several topics you like? I'm considering English Literature and potentially combining that with French, so I'm reading a lot of fiction for English, I need to get started on reading more French (I've watched a film or two and made friends with a French girl online, kind of like pen-pals) and I'm also considering something law-based or political, so I'm considering getting some reading for that too. I'm also doing essay competitions, planning to apply to summer schools when they open in January, etc.
(I'm also in Year 12)

Wow you're doing so much- that all sounds so cool! What essay competitions are you doing?
Original post by miao8
Your still at the beginning of year 12 you have plenty of time. Most people start they personal statement in Summer or at beginning of year 13. Open days aren't till around May-June ish I think so thats when you get a proper idea of what you might like to do!

Cool thanks- are you year 12 too?
Original post by .2.0.0.3.
Im in year 13 and have already recieved some offers, i sent my application of at the start of november. If i could go back, i would have definitely started my personal statement earlier. I started mine in the summer but then a week before submitting my application i changed my mind and rewrote it for a completely different course. So start now even if you know you will change it later - at least you will have an idea of how a good personal statement looks like. Year 13 is really busy and trust me if you leave everything till the summer its going to be so much stress.

Haha okay thank you, I'll bear that in mind! That rewrite sounds so stressful but congrats on getting offers!
Reply 8
Original post by socialscifan
Cool thanks- are you year 12 too?

No I’m in year 13, applied to uni a couple weeks ago! :smile:
Reply 9
I changed my mind about course in June of year 12 and didn't really start on the personal statement until August, it's just not necessary to start that early.

Quick Reply

Latest