The Student Room Group

How to decide on specific Science MSc?

Hi,
I did a biochemistry degree. Not sure where to progress to now...
I am more interested in the biology/medical side and have had work experience in physiotherapy, occupational therapy, doctors, cardiac physiologists and brief lab experience in cardiology and microbiology.

I still am not sure what to do. I have a personal connection to physio due to a long term chronic injury. But I think my main interest is cardiology. However, I unfortunately don't have to confidence to do medicine.

The issue is I enjoy so many medical fields that I'm almost scared to tie myself to one area. I was reading about arthritis pathogenesis earlier and it was also very interesting and considering I'm going to get it when older, thought that would also be an interesting field!

Anyway, I'm waffling... how do you decide which area to focus on. The main concern is once I go down one science path, it's hard to transfer to another area due to the specific training requirements in each field.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Been round in circles for months!
P

Original post by Lynx02
Hi,
I did a biochemistry degree. Not sure where to progress to now...
I am more interested in the biology/medical side and have had work experience in physiotherapy, occupational therapy, doctors, cardiac physiologists and brief lab experience in cardiology and microbiology.

I still am not sure what to do. I have a personal connection to physio due to a long term chronic injury. But I think my main interest is cardiology. However, I unfortunately don't have to confidence to do medicine.

The issue is I enjoy so many medical fields that I'm almost scared to tie myself to one area. I was reading about arthritis pathogenesis earlier and it was also very interesting and considering I'm going to get it when older, thought that would also be an interesting field!

Anyway, I'm waffling... how do you decide which area to focus on. The main concern is once I go down one science path, it's hard to transfer to another area due to the specific training requirements in each field.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Been round in circles for months!

If you're not 100% sure yet I would consider doing a job in the industry for a couple of years and it might help you decide and you'll at least get more time to think about it. Try and get some experience if you can in the different fields. You can just apply for a few different courses though and just go with the one that grabs you're attention the most and seems the most exciting without worrying too much about the future.
Reply 2
Original post by physgradstudent
P

If you're not 100% sure yet I would consider doing a job in the industry for a couple of years and it might help you decide and you'll at least get more time to think about it. Try and get some experience if you can in the different fields. You can just apply for a few different courses though and just go with the one that grabs you're attention the most and seems the most exciting without worrying too much about the future.

Ok Thanks - I'm Very worried about my future. I keep going through mind maps planning how I'll climb to the top by X age.... But yeh probs a waste of time. Just need more direction and to get out of lockdown so I can get experience!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending