The Student Room Group

DWP work coach - Sep applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Steelkane
Its probably the worst recruitment experience I've been through, I dont mind the time it takes, its the lack of communication and not knowing if your coning on going, hope it all pays off for us all.
I stick to as little sites as possible otherwise I find too much going on, indeed.co.uk tends to have a wide range or if I know where I want to apply, I go direct to the company website recruitment section.

Thanks, yes you’re right. I think the last communication from them was 9 Nov.

Good advice ... yes focusing!
Reply 41
Well I have just spoken to Gareth on live chat, couldn't really tell me more apart from my application is with the vacancy manager and DWP are dealing with it and no time frame for a phone call but September applicants will get contacted before any new applicants get a formal offer.
So not really helped on the time scale side of things but least we know we will be contacted before any new applicants.
I have also emailed the customer hub to see what kind of response I get from them, will update when I hear back, in the meantime, I hope we all get some positive calls 🤞

I spoke to Gareth on December 6th and he told me the same. I was on reserve for 3 locations and then formal offer and finally, like everyone else it seems, My status changed to “We are currently updating your application” etc. I took a job managing a COVID test site, so I am not in any rush now, but it finishes at the end of March, so it would be good to at least know I will have something else before or after.
I am also in reserve for the July campaign, but apart from being extended on the list until March 31st, I have heard nothing else.
I have the feeling lockdown means limited space, so hopefully things will start moving again when the lockdown is lifted.
Reply 42
Meanwhile on here ... nothing happens!
Original post by CurbYour
Meanwhile on here ... nothing happens!

It’s soooo frustrating isn’t it? Every morning I wake up feeling positive I / we will hear something . Let’s hope we all hear something very very soon
How many times on average do we all sign into our portal I wonder, just in the hope that something has changed. Must log into mine over 4 times a day 🤞🤦
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 45
I know my partner says, are you looking at that forum again?
I'm in the same boat. September campaign applicant. Black Country. Been waiting nearly two months for either a formal offer or reserve list after passing PECs.

(Also have a separate application for Staffordshire that has the same portal message for the November campaign)
Just had an email from DWP informing me after two months I'm on the reserve list for my September (Black Country) application. Apparently there were "approximately 100 applicants that scored higher" but that I am a "strong candidate". The area I applied to in September had 27 vacancies, and advertised another 55 a few days ago, so there's pretty much no hope of getting a phone call unless they advertise again which seems unlikely.

My other application (Staffordshire/Derbyshire) is still being arranged on merit order so if I scored similarly I might have a better chance as there were over a hundred vacancies.
Original post by snozzberry
Just had an email from DWP informing me after two months I'm on the reserve list for my September (Black Country) application. Apparently there were "approximately 100 applicants that scored higher" but that I am a "strong candidate". The area I applied to in September had 27 vacancies, and advertised another 55 a few days ago, so there's pretty much no hope of getting a phone call unless they advertise again which seems unlikely.

My other application (Staffordshire/Derbyshire) is still being arranged on merit order so if I scored similarly I might have a better chance as there were over a hundred vacancies.

I'm also black country, was on reserve list from mid November, then had the formal message, than this updating application message. I emailed them and they said I'm not on reserve list, so where am I 🤷. Such a draining process 😪
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm also black country, was on reserve list from mid November, then had the formal message, than this updating application message. I emailed them and they said I'm not on reserve list, so where am I 🤷. Such a draining process 😪

I've phoned and been on live chat numerous times chasing things up over the past month or so. I asked them directly/specifically twice about whether I was on the reserve list due to not hearing anything and was told specifically that I was not on the reserve list. The one thing I've learnt is not to trust the status updates after the PEC stage. I was told someone would be in touch shortly after my PECs, then I was told I would be getting a formal offer, then it changed to the 'we are updating your application message'. No mention of the reserve list throughout.

One of the problems seems to be that SSCL are reliant on DWP informing them, and from my experience it seems the local decision makers at DWP haven't been updating SSCL in all cases (e.g. when they decide someone is on reserve or getting an offer).

Im One of the black country peeps along with SteelKane.

Looks like since we are a small location we will Be here a while.

So If they are 100 applicants + advertising 55 more..

We going to start late.

Apply elsewhere for now.

WHAT :O they told you ur not reserve list anymore? Maybe they meant as in your off reserve and being placed. Miscommunication I believe
Reply 52

Sorry to hear all this.

So 83 places in total, and you were no 101?
Is that correct? I reckon there’s a fair chance that 27 people may drop out after this length of time it when they start.
Reply 53
Original post by Shahmayne
WHAT :O they told you ur not reserve list anymore? Maybe they meant as in your off reserve and being placed. Miscommunication I believe

Yes I thought the same!
Im One of the black country peeps along with SteelKane.

Looks like since we are a small location we will Be here a while.

So If they are 100 applicants + advertising 55 more..

We going to start late.

Apply elsewhere for now.

Their email to me wasn't clear but basically that there were roughly/approx 100 applicants who scored higher than me, but that I had still scored strongly and was on the reserve list. There were 27 vacancies in September and 55 more advertised in January = 82 vacancies total.

So if there are "roughly" 100 applicants ahead of me then there are approx 18 that scored higher than me on the reserve list for Black Country at a guess.

I just hope those Janaury applicants don't complicate things - if another 50 score higher than me, I'd hate for that to push me down the reserve list. I hope that email from mid-November still applies - which said September reserve list candidates would be a priority ahead of new candidates.

The way the process has gone so far though, I'm not hopeful.
Original post by CurbYour
Sorry to hear all this.

So 83 places in total, and you were no 101?
Is that correct? I reckon there’s a fair chance that 27 people may drop out after this length of time it when they start.

82 places in total across two adverts and apparently I'm around number 101 (very approximately). So that's 18 people that have to drop out.

This is assuming they keep to their word from November where they said reserve list candidates from September would be a priority over new applicants.
82 places in total across two adverts and apparently I'm around number 101 (very approximately). So that's 18 people that have to drop out.

This is assuming they keep to their word from November where they said reserve list candidates from September would be a priority over new applicants.

Well due to this new pledge they want to ensure they have the numbers they need.

Not everyone will go for this role. Many drop out also they will allocate other locations also for us Sept reserve.

They have a lot to think about tbh placement/space/location/health and safety/training/social distancing/new venues/new offices/pop up centres/... And also .they don't want to waste any more time hiring so just rounding up the herd now...and ensure they have more then enough candidates so fulfil thier duty and targets. Black country campaign for reserve lot won't be until end of the month to like mid Feb I guess. You me and steelkane will be starting same time hopefully haha.
Reply 57

Sorry yes, wasn’t concentrating with the numbers.
They should ask the reserves first, if they don’t think we have grounds to complain.
Well due to this new pledge they want to ensure they have the numbers they need.

Not everyone will go for this role. Many drop out also they will allocate other locations also for us Sept reserve.

They have a lot to think about tbh placement/space/location/health and safety/training/social distancing/new venues/new offices/pop up centres/... And also .they don't want to waste any more time hiring so just rounding up the herd now...and ensure they have more then enough candidates so fulfil thier duty and targets. Black country campaign for reserve lot won't be until end of the month to like mid Feb I guess. You me and steelkane will be starting same time hopefully haha.

Hopefully. I've been getting more and more frustrated about the process over the last month due to the lack of communication and the mixed messages (e.g. the formal offer message). Now that I've been told I'm on reserve, I was initially even more frustrated but now the dust has settled I'm just accepting it. Shouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket, I was relying on this role quite a bit especially after being led on with that message.

If I get a call then great, but I'm definitely going to start applying elsewhere now. Shame there aren't more opportunities like this though, I've been out of work for quite a while and being judged on merit is a little easier than explaining a gap on your CV.
Reply 59
There’s the census and covid jobs which are mass recruitment too, and temporary.

I agree with you snozzberry re “Shouldn't have put all my eggs in one basket, I was relying on this role quite a bit especially after being led on with that Message.”

My main gripe is, why couldn’t you have been told you were no. 101 the day after all the results were in? You would have been able to make better decisions about what you were doing over these last few months.
We could have done temp jobs up to Christmas etc.

It would have taken someone a couple of days to ring round the list and explain the situ to all those who had passed. “Yes there’s only x places, but there’s going to be another round later in the year, and people drop out etc.”
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending