The Student Room Group

HO Interview for Complex Tax and Evasion Investigator

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grandmasterG
I have a quick question.
Is there a dress code?
1. During the training period and
2. When the individuals start doing the work, after the training period?
what I am trying to find out is are staff expected to wear a shirt and ties? a formal look?
or can you dress as you please?

Apologies for late response,

In Wales everything’s WFH at the moment, but otherwise there is no dress code unless you are going out and meeting customers which you wouldn’t be doing any time soon.

Majority of training is currently online and even the teams meetings we never have our cameras on so dress as you please.
Once you hit the 9 week mark it’s a lot of self learning and organising your own time with very little meetings. Depending on your routeway, you’ll get your first live cases around the 12 week mark but still no sign of going to meet customers so wouldn’t be concerned about what to wear for a long while
Original post by Richtea101
Apologies for late response,

In Wales everything’s WFH at the moment, but otherwise there is no dress code unless you are going out and meeting customers which you wouldn’t be doing any time soon.

Majority of training is currently online and even the teams meetings we never have our cameras on so dress as you please.
Once you hit the 9 week mark it’s a lot of self learning and organising your own time with very little meetings. Depending on your routeway, you’ll get your first live cases around the 12 week mark but still no sign of going to meet customers so wouldn’t be concerned about what to wear for a long while

Thanks for your response. I am starting in January, so time was not of the essence.
Hi, is anyone waiting to hear about Edinburgh or Glasgow locations that recently had an interview?
Are the still interviewing for this role?
Original post by kaysash
Are the still interviewing for this role?

Hi I was interviewed late December and had an offer by end of January with a start date of 21st March.
Original post by Cartman222
Hi I was interviewed late December and had an offer by end of January with a start date of 21st March.

Congrats! Where will you be based?
Original post by kaysash
Congrats! Where will you be based?

Thanks Glasgow
Hi all, is anyone who has started the training for this vacancy able to give an update on how the training is progressing? Thanks in advance!
Hi all, is anyone who has started the training for this vacancy able to give an update on how the training is progressing? Thanks in advance!

Where does one begin? Suffice to say it is a well structured timetable training programme.
The training is all e-learning. You will be told the course and where to find it. Some of the courses you have to reach a certain level encore moving on.
Each individual has different views on the structure of the course. Not much room to consolidate what you have learned, in the time allotted.
At the moment I am doing case studies.
I think it is best to go with an open mind, as we are all different. some like the pace some see it as demanding.
Where does one begin? Suffice to say it is a well structured timetable training programme.
The training is all e-learning. You will be told the course and where to find it. Some of the courses you have to reach a certain level encore moving on.
Each individual has different views on the structure of the course. Not much room to consolidate what you have learned, in the time allotted.
I think it is best to go with an open mind, as we are all different. some like the pace some see it as demanding.

Thanks for this. Do you go into the office or is it work from home?
Original post by kaysash

Also how far are you on your training?
Original post by kaysash

I started in January, it has even been working from home. But from 1st of March we are all back in the office. ( we have online team meeetings and catch up)
The Union have negotiated, which has been accepted by HMRC a hybrid working format an entitlement to working form home 40% of the working week for those that want it. So I am back to work 3 days a week.
I will be in the office for an " induction" tomorrow to gain information about the building and procedures and tour. Besides the teams have never met face to face.
From my perspective I think the set up is well organised. Plenty of information to digest though, your ability to cope with large amount of written information is crucial to your success. In my team you have youngsters that have studied to masters level, and older folk who haven't. Everyone brings in their own unique skill set. I guess that is what HMRC are looking for.
I started in January, it has even been working from home. But from 1st of March we are all back in the office. ( we have online team meeetings and catch up)
The Union have negotiated, which has been accepted by HMRC a hybrid working format an entitlement to working form home 40% of the working week for those that want it. So I am back to work 3 days a week.
I will be in the office for an " induction" tomorrow to gain information about the building and procedures and tour. Besides the teams have never met face to face.
From my perspective I think the set up is well organised. Plenty of information to digest though, your ability to cope with large amount of written information is crucial to your success. In my team you have youngsters that have studied to masters level, and older folk who haven't. Everyone brings in their own unique skill set. I guess that is what HMRC are looking for.

All sounds good. I start in March. Thanks for the insight.

Thanks for response! Can I ask if it is the Investigator role you are training for? Just read a few earlier postings which state some are getting other Compliance posts, not the Investigator role stated in the advert.
Thanks for response! Can I ask if it is the Investigator role you are training for? Just read a few earlier postings which state some are getting other Compliance

The initial training is the same for all. The role I applied four was for the investigator role. However, when I asked my manager during a team meeting what the difference was between the case worker and the investigator, I was told that the batch of trainees I am training with applied for the generic compliance role, and they acknowledged that the role I applied for was different.
So I was given an option to insist on staying with my team or allowing myself to be flexible, and I will be placed in a position that the group had the most need. They were unable to tell me at the time where that will be. So it is all up in the air for me as I opted to be flexible. They can palace me where they wish.
Do you know where we could be placed? I.E which tax heads could we end up in compared to the generic caseworkers? Is it the same or would it be different
Original post by Harry44367e2
Do you know where we could be placed? I.E which tax heads could we end up in compared to the generic caseworkers? Is it the same or would it be different

I haven't a clue. I am not concerned where I end up to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending