The Student Room Group

A level maths (moments)

Please help...

Okay, so I understand how to get the answer, it's 2N north, and 9 meters to the left of A.

But how do we interpret this practically, it makes no sense to me that the Resultant force of 2N can act to the left of A. Surely it's not acting on the system if it's to the left of A?

Please help
(edited 3 years ago)
With what in particular?
Reply 2
Original post by loubielou123
With what in particular?

so the resultant force is 2N, and acts 9 meters to the left of A, how is that possible? can it act to the left of A? does that not take it out of the system?

thanks
Original post by aramis8
Please help...

Okay, so I understand how to get the answer, it's 2N north, and 9 meters to the left of A.

But how do we interpret this practically, it makes no sense to me that the Resultant force of 2N can act to the left of A. Surely it's not acting on the system if it's to the left of A?

Please help

Think of it as a turning behavior, its not acting left or right. Its more like clockwise or anti clockwise.
Sorry, the question did not come up at first. I may not be right but if you are taking moments around A you can ignore the 7N acting there so the resultant force would be 5N and that would give it acting 3.6m right of A? That makes more sense than left of A.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mnot
Think of it as a turning behavior, its not acting left or right. Its more like clockwise or anti clockwise.

Can you elaborate on this please, if you don't mind. Thank you ever so much
Original post by aramis8
Can you elaborate on this please, if you don't mind. Thank you ever so much

A moment is a force applied about a point. Its essentially levering something. A moment is the turning effect of a force about a point.

Think about this if you get a ruler on clamp it down on the edge of a table then at the other end of the ruler you apply a force; the point where the moment is applied wants to turn around the point at which you are measuring the moment from (i.e. the bit which is clamped). The whole ruler is not moving in the uniform direction up or down one end rotates around the other.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
A moment is a force applied about a point. Its essentially levering something. A moment is the turning effect of a force about a point.

Think about this if you get a ruler on clamp it down on the edge of a table then at the other end of the ruler you apply a force; the point where the moment is applied wants to turn around the point at which you are measuring the moment from (i.e. the bit which is clamped). The whole ruler is not moving in the uniform direction up or down one end rotates around the other.

Thanks, so is it basically like saying, if a 2N force acting north at a distance of 9 m to the left of A, the turning effect this would have is equivalent to the resultant turning effct of our system of forces?

so the whole system will turn anti clockwise?
Original post by aramis8
Thanks, so is it basically like saying, if a 2N force acting north at a distance of 9 m to the left of A, the turning effect this would have is equivalent to the resultant turning effct of our system of forces?

so the whole system will turn anti clockwise?

I havent done the calculation but if the resultant force is North then If its positive & left of A it will be clockwise, if the resultant force is positive & right of A and acting North it would be anticlockwise. (relative to A).

Quick Reply

Latest