The Student Room Group

RAF Pilot Application Closed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brenton
Not sure where you're getting this data from. The hold for pre EFT has drastically improved. I graduated MIOT recently and have my MAGS date for this August.

I really hope I'm wrong and you're right.
What is a MAGS date, by the way?
Original post by Turbo321

Ground school of some variety, I believe.
Reply 42
Original post by Turbo321

Military aviation ground school. It's what you do just before EFT.
Reply 43
Original post by brenton
Military aviation ground school. It's what you do just before EFT.

All the best with that!
Just to add to the waiting time conversation, from what I’ve heard it’s in a weird place at the moment in which some people have done their MAGS 2 and a half years ago and still awaiting for their EFT date, and some got a date 8 months after MAGS (which during the currently climate seems rather fast), so I don’t think your can really put a realistic time frame on it, just be prepared to sit around for a while doing MAGS refreshers.
Original post by BeardedGymRat
Just to add to the waiting time conversation, from what I’ve heard it’s in a weird place at the moment in which some people have done their MAGS 2 and a half years ago and still awaiting for their EFT date, and some got a date 8 months after MAGS (which during the currently climate seems rather fast), so I don’t think your can really put a realistic time frame on it, just be prepared to sit around for a while doing MAGS refreshers.

I think you're confusing MAGS and IOT. I waited for a year and a half between IOT and MAGS but the hold between my MAGS and EFT is only a month which is the same as everyone else who was on my IOT and is in line with what the flying training pipeline managers told me to expect when I spoke to them a year ago. They do not put you onto MAGS until you're about to do EFT for the exact reason of keeping the knowledge fresh.
Original post by cookie_slap
I think you're confusing MAGS and IOT. I waited for a year and a half between IOT and MAGS but the hold between my MAGS and EFT is only a month which is the same as everyone else who was on my IOT and is in line with what the flying training pipeline managers told me to expect when I spoke to them a year ago. They do not put you onto MAGS until you're about to do EFT for the exact reason of keeping the knowledge fresh.

Well as I said it looks like the training at the moment differs from person to person in terms of experience, what I said is just gossip from a pilot mate of mine, who is telling me some lads are doing their MAGS without EFT dates, and are just sat around waiting for a date while doing MAGS refreshers, but as someone who is currently in the pilot training pipeline your experience is definitely more credible.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 47
I’m 16 and plan on applying as soon as I finish my A Levels at 18. Do you think I have a good chance at getting in as a pilot?
Original post by Rento37485
Thank you so much!
When I was applying, there was only a delay this long for pilots, all other roles were pretty smooth I think. I’m not sure how covid will have affected everything now.

Also I don’t want my post to put anyone off applying for pilot, it’s definitely worth it if you want to hold out. But I just wanted to share a concern about the age limit I wasn’t aware of when I applied :smile:

I’m 16 right now and am planning to start A Levels next year and go to uni after that. Do you think it would be wise for me to apply after finishing A Levels?
Reply 49
Original post by Mpache
I’m 16 and plan on applying as soon as I finish my A Levels at 18. Do you think I have a good chance at getting in as a pilot?

No-one on here can say. You're applying to be an officer so you need to be on top with your examples of leadership potential, but there's inherent ability required too, for CBAT.
Original post by MuhPache
I’m 16 right now and am planning to start A Levels next year and go to uni after that. Do you think it would be wise for me to apply after finishing A Levels?

You can't apply for an officer role until you have A Level results in your hand.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mpache

Appoximately 2500 people apply for 40-100 slots per year.
Reply 52

That would be too soon. Wait until you're at uni and see what the situation is as regards the length of the selection process, or if pilot is even open, when you are in your 2nd year (for a 3 year degree).

Read this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7150135
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Surnia
No-one on here can say. You're applying to be an officer so you need to be on top with your examples of leadership potential, but there's inherent ability required too, for CBAT.

what's CBAT?
what's CBAT?

Hi

Computer Based Aptitude Tests. It's the first thing you'll face on the application process for the role of Pilot. Followed by medical, fitness test, interview then OASC (Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre).

As already advised, it's a tough process to make it through.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Original post by RAF__Adam
Hi

Computer Based Aptitude Tests. It's the first thing you'll face on the application process for the role of Pilot. Followed by medical, fitness test, interview then OASC (Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre).

As already advised, it's a tough process to make it through.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

thanks!
Hi all,

I've noticed the upper age limit for Pilot has decreased to 24.

Just a FYI. I finished my degree in June of 2021, and was looking to apply from about December 20/January 21 but applications have been closed ever since (it's now August 2022). WSO and RPAS are also all closed. I'm 22 this month, so hoping that I'll get at least one shot at getting in before I age out.

P.S. Tried the RN, but they won't accept you if you don't have the right A-Levels/UCAS points even with a physics degree :/.
(edited 1 year ago)
Any guess as to when applications will re-open? Already tried contacting the RAF themselves and still waiting on a response.
Original post by Surnia
That would be too soon. Wait until you're at uni and see what the situation is as regards the length of the selection process, or if pilot is even open, when you are in your 2nd year (for a 3 year degree).

Read this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7150135
Original post by josh24l
Any guess as to when applications will re-open? Already tried contacting the RAF themselves and still waiting on a response.

Unfortunately there's no recruiters on here any more, so you won't get a reply on TSR. unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest