The Student Room Group

Failed masters

Hi i am currently completing a masters degree and will have passed 120 credits however for personal reasons i can't complete my dissertation and am not in a place to repeat it. is it possible to be award an exit award with he 120 credits i have passes such as a postgraduate diploma or certificate? do all unis offer this option? thanks
You'll have to ask your uni if you can graduate with a PGDip. You should be able to top it up to a masters later on when you're ready
Reply 2
Why can't you complete your dissertation?

It sounds to me as though you need an extension based on mitigating circumstances.
I have already used my extension possibilities and dont' feel i'm in a place to complete my dissertation now or in the near future therefore im looking at my options as i dont want to throw away the work i've done towards my 120 credits.
Reply 4
Original post by Mastersquestion1
I have already used my extension possibilities and dont' feel i'm in a place to complete my dissertation now or in the near future therefore im looking at my options as i dont want to throw away the work i've done towards my 120 credits.

Do you have a disability or have been affected by an illness recently?
it's a mental health issue on top of COVID meaning my studies have already been extend another 6 months and i don't want to spend anymore time on something that makes me so unhappy. i'm looking to leave education and just want to find out my best options for doing this as i don't want to waste the 120 credits i have achieved
Reply 6
Hi i am currently completing a masters degree and will have passed 120 credits however for personal reasons i can't complete my dissertation and am not in a place to repeat it. is it possible to be award an exit award with he 120 credits i have passes such as a postgraduate diploma or certificate? do all unis offer this option? thanks

failing and not completing are different things no? Did you have problems with the tutor. Are you asian? Its very unusual to fail unless the there are problems with teaching. Report any racism if that is the cause of it. I was asked to source from textbooks and it was at the end of the course after watching my colleagues I had figure out what was going on. We need to protect each other.
(edited 3 years ago)
no i'm not asian and had no problem with the tutor. my question is simply around whether i'm eligible to use my 120 credits from my masters degree to be awarded a post grad diploma or certificate via an exit award as i will not be submitting my dissertation and will therefore fail .

also if you know - what is the process of being awarded an exit award is it simple or complicated?
Reply 8
yeah its straightforward. 120 should get you a certificate or a diploma. Ask the exam office. And speak to the pastoral support if the tutor isnt in the loop. Take it up a few levels until you get a decent response.
thank you
Reply 10
it's a mental health issue on top of COVID meaning my studies have already been extend another 6 months and i don't want to spend anymore time on something that makes me so unhappy. i'm looking to leave education and just want to find out my best options for doing this as i don't want to waste the 120 credits i have achieved

Are you in touch with the Disability Officer at your University? He/she should be your first port of call, I would have said.
no i'm not asian and had no problem with the tutor. my question is simply around whether i'm eligible to use my 120 credits from my masters degree to be awarded a post grad diploma or certificate via an exit award as i will not be submitting my dissertation and will therefore fail .

also if you know - what is the process of being awarded an exit award is it simple or complicated?

Contact your personal tutor and ask them to start the ball rolling. PgDips are common exit qualifications, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to organise.
Reply 12
thank you

By the way, I note your use of the work failed. you didnt fail, you didnt complete. Its important not to think that way. It will make you feel worse if you chose the wrong words.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Contact your personal tutor and ask them to start the ball rolling. PgDips are common exit qualifications, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to organise.

Thank you for this. I was worried that my uni wouldn't offer this as an exit route so I'll be sure to get in touch with them. Do you know if it would be possible for me to go back in a few years and complete a dissertation / more credits to boost the PgDip to a full masters degree?
Original post by PhoenixFortune

Thank you for this. I was worried that my uni wouldn't offer this as an exit route so I'll be sure to get in touch with them. Do you know if it would be possible for me to go back in a few years and complete a dissertation / more credits to boost the PgDip to a full masters degree?

Original post by sonal7
By the way, I note your use of the work failed. you didnt fail, you didnt complete. Its important not to think that way. It will make you feel worse if you chose the wrong words.

I appreciate this. Do you know if it would be possible for me to go back in a few years and complete a dissertation / more credits to boost the PgDip to a full masters degree?
Reply 15

I appreciate this. Do you know if it would be possible for me to go back in a few years and complete a dissertation / more credits to boost the PgDip to a full masters degree?

yes its commonly done from my knowledge. You should check with the course providers.
Thats great thank you my next step is to now contact my university.

Can I also ask if you know how a postgrad diploma is viewed by employers? will it still help with my job prospects by having it on my CV?

You will have to ask them if this is possible.
Thats great thank you my next step is to now contact my university.

Can I also ask if you know how a postgrad diploma is viewed by employers? will it still help with my job prospects by having it on my CV?

Employers are likely to be less familiar with PgDips than full masters degrees, so I doubt it would hinder you.
Reply 18

It might depend on the subject you have taken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending