The Student Room Group

Student Finance and Math GCSE requirement.

I want to return to the UK after a prolonged absence abroad teaching English. I am currently based in Seoul.
I am from Wales and hope to do a PGCE in Secondary English in Cardiff.
However, despite having a master's degree in English I do not have a B in maths. The Welsh government seem to have arbitrarily decided that they require a B in English (fair enough) and a B in maths (weird since in England both are C)
Consequently, I'm studying iGCSE maths online and will take it at a Cambridge centre here in Seoul.
I am not confident of getting a B and it seems such a shame that this is what could prevent me from pursuing my dreams and providing a stable route back to UK life.
So I would like to ask the following:
If I were to get a C in maths, I'd consider renting in, say Bristol which is just over the border if could get a place there. However, I am not nominally resident in England so wonder if I would be eligible to receive financial help?
I read about equivalency tests. Does anyone know how these work? Are they easier than GCSE's?
How is the financing of a PGCE different in Wales and England? In England it's pretty straightforward but in Wales it's a complex mish mash of bursaries, loans and scholarships.

TIA :smile:
Original post by danjames83
I want to return to the UK after a prolonged absence abroad teaching English. I am currently based in Seoul.
I am from Wales and hope to do a PGCE in Secondary English in Cardiff.
However, despite having a master's degree in English I do not have a B in maths. The Welsh government seem to have arbitrarily decided that they require a B in English (fair enough) and a B in maths (weird since in England both are C)
Consequently, I'm studying iGCSE maths online and will take it at a Cambridge centre here in Seoul.
I am not confident of getting a B and it seems such a shame that this is what could prevent me from pursuing my dreams and providing a stable route back to UK life.
So I would like to ask the following:
If I were to get a C in maths, I'd consider renting in, say Bristol which is just over the border if could get a place there. However, I am not nominally resident in England so wonder if I would be eligible to receive financial help?
I read about equivalency tests. Does anyone know how these work? Are they easier than GCSE's?
How is the financing of a PGCE different in Wales and England? In England it's pretty straightforward but in Wales it's a complex mish mash of bursaries, loans and scholarships.

TIA :smile:

Hi @danjames83 for this year only, the Welsh Government are now accepting C grades in English and Maths, but you have to achieve an equivalent B grade before you finish your study. We do not offer PGCE Secondary, but you may want to check with other Welsh universities to see if they are offering the same. Temporary arrangements for 2021 applicants: We can also invite applicants to interview who currently hold C grades in these subjects. If you are offered a place on the course, you will be provided with support during the first year of study to pass a test to evidence that you have literacy and numeracy skills appropriate to the profession before the end of year 1. You will have 3 opportunities to pass this test. Failure to pass the test could stop you from progressing onto Year 2.

If you missed out on B grades in GCSE Mathematics and English Language, we also offer essential skills for teaching modules. These will be accepted in Wales as an equivalent qualification. Please see guidelines on B grade GCSE equivalencies, recommended by Higher Education providers in Wales.

Let me know if I can help further Rebecca :smile:
Education is a devolved matter in the UK and the rules for Wales are decided by the Welsh not UK government so there will be different rules. A few years ago the Welsh government decided that to be able to teach in Wales applicants would have to have grade B in English and Maths. You would need to check this out with WG but I dont think equivalents are accepted.

As far as student finance is concerned many Welsh students go to English Universities and vice versa and get finance. Due to your different circumstances please contact Student Finance Wales for proper advice,
Reply 3
Hi Rebecca-

Thanks for your response. I've been looking into this more and saw that Cardiff Met offer anyone with D or above to take the equivalency test. I looked at the outline of content and it is significantly less than the GCSE.
My plan now is to study IGCSE here in Seoul through Udemy, take the test in November and hope to at least get a C to widen my options (of course if I get a C, problem solved) If I am somehow unable to get even a C I at least know I can be accepted at Cardiff Met as long as I pass the equivalency test, which is just one 90 mins paper. I feel a lot better about things now knowing this and will continue to develop my maths skills.
Just to be clear as well, I intend on going back in 2023 when the pandemic has hopefully subsided, so I am not under immediate pressure to achieve this goal.
Original post by University of South Wales
Hi @danjames83 for this year only, the Welsh Government are now accepting C grades in English and Maths, but you have to achieve an equivalent B grade before you finish your study. We do not offer PGCE Secondary, but you may want to check with other Welsh universities to see if they are offering the same. Temporary arrangements for 2021 applicants: We can also invite applicants to interview who currently hold C grades in these subjects. If you are offered a place on the course, you will be provided with support during the first year of study to pass a test to evidence that you have literacy and numeracy skills appropriate to the profession before the end of year 1. You will have 3 opportunities to pass this test. Failure to pass the test could stop you from progressing onto Year 2.

If you missed out on B grades in GCSE Mathematics and English Language, we also offer essential skills for teaching modules. These will be accepted in Wales as an equivalent qualification. Please see guidelines on B grade GCSE equivalencies, recommended by Higher Education providers in Wales.

Let me know if I can help further Rebecca :smile:
Original post by danjames83
Hi Rebecca-

Thanks for your response. I've been looking into this more and saw that Cardiff Met offer anyone with D or above to take the equivalency test. I looked at the outline of content and it is significantly less than the GCSE.
My plan now is to study IGCSE here in Seoul through Udemy, take the test in November and hope to at least get a C to widen my options (of course if I get a C, problem solved) If I am somehow unable to get even a C I at least know I can be accepted at Cardiff Met as long as I pass the equivalency test, which is just one 90 mins paper. I feel a lot better about things now knowing this and will continue to develop my maths skills.
Just to be clear as well, I intend on going back in 2023 when the pandemic has hopefully subsided, so I am not under immediate pressure to achieve this goal.

Hi @danjames83, for this year only the University of South Wales are offering students with a D grade to complete the literacy and numeracy tests required to enter the profession, they have to pass these tests in the first year, and we are providing additional support to those students applying without the B grades. Just to let you know that, this arrangement is likely to revert to B grades for next year and in future, this is only for 2021 entry. Here are some details of our equivalency modules, should you need this next year. https://www.southwales.ac.uk/study/subjects/teaching/gcse-grade-b-equivalence-modules/ Lovely talking to you, enjoy Seoul and good luck for the future Rebecca :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending