The Student Room Group

a level choices

i'm trying to choose my a level options, at the moment i'm thinking of doing law, history, french and spanish- I was considering maths but i would rather do the others. i'm interested in doing law at university.- does this seem like a good combination?- and is it hard taking two languages at a level? also my school recommends that we take the EPQ, but having spoken to a teacher he suggested that i either don't do it or do it in year 13 after i've dropped a subject, as studying 4 subjects and the epq is a lot of work.- is it a good idea to take it in year 13?

Scroll to see replies

Yes ,do your EPQ in year 13, if you drop a subject, the more UCAS points you have the better chance you have of getting your first choice University, good luck.
Hey,

I'm hoping to take French and Spanish next year at A-level as well, so I guess we're both going to have to find out if it's a good idea or not! As for the other subjects, as long as you enjoy them then that's all that really matters. Universities usually prefer at least one essay subject at A-level for Law, and History is really well respected so I think it should be ok. :smile:

Best of luck!
It's a perfectly suitable combination for law - law degrees have no subject requirements so anything is fine. Two languages is a lot of work but is definitely manageable if you are very strong at languages. However bear in mind you will need to keep on top of all the grammar and vocab for two languages simultaneously, which will involve a lot of day to day, week to week work; you can't wait to cram just before the exam for language subjects!

I definitely would recommend either aiming to start with 3 subjects and EPQ, or 4 subjects then drop one (and don't do an EPQ). Two languages will by themselves already be very large amount of work on top of two other subjects. Also don't choose an EPQ unless you have a fairly clear idea of what you want to do with it - there's no point doing it if your aim for it is to just get more "personal statement fodder", as it's not really all that valuable in that respect anyway. If you have something specific you want to explore more in depth beyond the regular curriculum the EPQ can be a useful structured way to allow you to do so though.
Reply 4
Original post by Boomde2020
Yes ,do your EPQ in year 13, if you drop a subject, the more UCAS points you have the better chance you have of getting your first choice University, good luck.

thank you!!
Original post by laurelboi
law isn't a real A level

And, yet, Oxbridge admissions' staff say otherwise.
Reply 6
Original post by jenesaisplus
Hey,

I'm hoping to take French and Spanish next year at A-level as well, so I guess we're both going to have to find out if it's a good idea or not! As for the other subjects, as long as you enjoy them then that's all that really matters. Universities usually prefer at least one essay subject at A-level for Law, and History is really well respected so I think it should be ok. :smile:

Best of luck!

hahaha, i hope we both find it okay! i did look at doing english lit instead of history, but i find it boring and i dont really like it so i'd rather do history. also do you know what career/uni course you want to do? i am interested in doing law but i'm still open to other options particularly including languages!
Original post by Quick-use
And, yet, Oxbridge admissions' staff say otherwise.

oh really, does it say on their website?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
It's a perfectly suitable combination for law - law degrees have no subject requirements so anything is fine. Two languages is a lot of work but is definitely manageable if you are very strong at languages. However bear in mind you will need to keep on top of all the grammar and vocab for two languages simultaneously, which will involve a lot of day to day, week to week work; you can't wait to cram just before the exam for language subjects!

I definitely would recommend either aiming to start with 3 subjects and EPQ, or 4 subjects then drop one (and don't do an EPQ). Two languages will by themselves already be very large amount of work on top of two other subjects. Also don't choose an EPQ unless you have a fairly clear idea of what you want to do with it - there's no point doing it if your aim for it is to just get more "personal statement fodder", as it's not really all that valuable in that respect anyway. If you have something specific you want to explore more in depth beyond the regular curriculum the EPQ can be a useful structured way to allow you to do so though

thank you for your advice, i'm prepared to work hard to keep on top of both languages so i should be okay. i think i'm definitely gonna start with 4 subjects, and then drop one so i will see about doing an epq in year 13. but like you said, if i don't have a clear idea then i would rather focus on the three a levels and try to improve grades in those
Original post by z1c0
hahaha, i hope we both find it okay! i did look at doing english lit instead of history, but i find it boring and i dont really like it so i'd rather do history. also do you know what career/uni course you want to do? i am interested in doing law but i'm still open to other options particularly including languages!

Indeed! :yep:
I was very conflicted about taking English Literature at A-level, as I do genuinely enjoy it but I didn't like some of the texts at my sixth form. So I decided to opt for Spanish instead, which I knew I couldn't give up anyway :biggrin:

I'm open to anything, just like you. However I'm probably leaning more towards languages :colondollar: or biological sciences, as I'm also taking Biology and Chemistry next year.

I wish I took History at GCSE haha, but it was in the same option block as French so I couldn't :frown:. How are you finding online learning atm as a fellow Year 11?
Reply 10
Indeed! :yep:
I was very conflicted about taking English Literature at A-level, as I do genuinely enjoy it but I didn't like some of the texts at my sixth form. So I decided to opt for Spanish instead, which I knew I couldn't give up anyway :biggrin:

I'm open to anything, just like you. However I'm probably leaning more towards languages :colondollar: or biological sciences, as I'm also taking Biology and Chemistry next year.

I wish I took History at GCSE haha, but it was in the same option block as French so I couldn't :frown:. How are you finding online learning atm as a fellow year 11?

I'm finding it okay, the work is alright but i'm just bored and i miss seeing my friends :frown: how are you finding it?
Original post by z1c0
I'm finding it okay, the work is alright but i'm just bored and i miss seeing my friends :frown: how are you finding it?

Miss my friends and doing extracurriculars, but I guess everyone's feeling that way. Other than that I'm coping well with online work :smile:
Original post by z1c0
thank you!!

UCAS points are irrelevant for most unis -certainly the good ones. I'd suggest just three A levels plus an EPQ.
Original post by laurelboi
oh really, does it say on their website?

I'm not sure either university has gone so far as writing an exposé on their websites debating whether or not A level Law is a 'real subject'... :tongue:

They have, however, commented on TSR time and time again, asserting that they have absolutely no problem with the A level and that they would accept it equally as any other subject. Moreover, the exam board(s?) of A level Law even have a PDF on their website where they have affirmation from most major British universities (including Oxbridge) that the course is 100% acceptable in preparation for university study. It was even stated that A level Law does not disadvantage any student when applying for Law degrees.
Original post by Quick-use
I'm not sure either university has gone so far as writing an exposé on their websites debating whether or not A level Law is a 'real subject'... :tongue:

They have, however, commented on TSR time and time again, asserting that they have absolutely no problem with the A level and that they would accept it equally as any other subject. Moreover, the exam board(s?) of A level Law even have a PDF on their website where they have affirmation from most major British universities (including Oxbridge) that the course is 100% acceptable in preparation for university study. It was even stated that A level Law does not disadvantage any student when applying for Law degrees.

ah well that's a relief that taking a law a level won't actively disadvantage you when applying for a law degree
Reply 15
Miss my friends and doing extracurriculars, but I guess everyone's feeling that way. Other than that I'm coping well with online work :smile:

yeah, everyone's in the same position. it's hard not knowing exactly whats going on with exams as well, obviously they've been cancelled but what exactly is taking their place? i'm glad your finding the work okay :smile:
Hi - I took both French and Spanish (with EPQ and another subject) at A-Level and got two As. About to start my modern languages degree. It is definitely manageable if you are a strong linguist and are prepared to be reviewing grammar, statistics and news articles daily. If you haven't already, I'd recommend downloading the 'Le Monde' and 'El Mundo' news apps. Reading articles can vastly expand your subject vocabulary as well as your knowledge about the general current affairs in France and Spain - something which will be valuable for your speaking exams (if they even go ahead this year). Make revision resources as you go along, use Quizlet/Memrise for vocabulary and irregular verbs etc. If you enjoy the languages and feel motivated, it seems like the right choice for you! Good luck.
Original post by z1c0
yeah, everyone's in the same position. it's hard not knowing exactly whats going on with exams as well, obviously they've been cancelled but what exactly is taking their place? i'm glad your finding the work okay :smile:

I agree, I'm still trying to revise but honestly nobody knows what's happening. It changes every 3 minutes, to the point where I just don't know what I'm doing :emo:
Likewise! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by studygirl388
Hi - I took both French and Spanish (with EPQ and another subject) at A-Level and got two As. About to start my modern languages degree. It is definitely manageable if you are a strong linguist and are prepared to be reviewing grammar, statistics and news articles daily. If you haven't already, I'd recommend downloading the 'Le Monde' and 'El Mundo' news apps. Reading articles can vastly expand your subject vocabulary as well as your knowledge about the general current affairs in France and Spain - something which will be valuable for your speaking exams (if they even go ahead this year). Make revision resources as you go along, use Quizlet/Memrise for vocabulary and irregular verbs etc. If you enjoy the languages and feel motivated, it seems like the right choice for you! Good luck.

thats so good, well done! i will definitely have a look at the apps, they would help me a lot. I already use quizlet and memrise a lot, i find them really helpful for learning vocab. thank you for your help!
Original post by z1c0
i'm trying to choose my a level options, at the moment i'm thinking of doing law, history, french and spanish- I was considering maths but i would rather do the others. i'm interested in doing law at university.- does this seem like a good combination?- and is it hard taking two languages at a level? also my school recommends that we take the EPQ, but having spoken to a teacher he suggested that i either don't do it or do it in year 13 after i've dropped a subject, as studying 4 subjects and the epq is a lot of work.- is it a good idea to take it in year 13?

Hi there,

For most Law courses at university, there is no specific subject requirements and the course will be taught from scratch. Taking law a-level will give you a good insight and knowledge of the law, however you will cover this from basics at university. Therefore you won't be at any disadvantage if you don't take law.
I studied EPQ in year 13 alongside 3 A-Levels. I felt it was okay, as the EPQ project was done just after the Christmas break, leaving lots of time for my other three options. However, this may depend on your specific college or sixth form.
Maths is a helpful A-level and will give you lots of options for degree choices. Do consider, courses such as engineering will require maths so won't be open to you if you don't study it at A-Level.

Hope this helps :smile:

Ethan - UOP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest