The Student Room Group

What's the best A-levels to do?

What's the best A-levels to do?

Scroll to see replies

That's a bit of a vague question. Depends on what you enjoy and what you are good at
History, classical civilisation, Latin and English literature :borat:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
History, classical civilisation, Latin and English literature :borat:

I like how you put this but there’s no way you took all of these :rofl: and you didn’t even mention bio/chem :frown:
Original post by heldbygrace
I like how you put this but there’s no way you took all of these :rofl: and you didn’t even mention bio/chem :frown:

Bio and chemistry <<<<<<<<<<<< history :colonhash:
Maths, further maths, physics
Bio and chemistry <<<<<<<<<<<< history :colonhash:

Tbf I love history I’m just failing my GCSE. :cry2:
Latin, Ancient Greek, double Maths :tongue:

More seriously though have a look at the course requirements for anything you're interested in and consider talking to your teachers too. Worth bearing in mind too that a strong performance at GSCE will indicate you have a good basis in a subject to go forward with.
Tbf I love history I’m just failing my GCSE. :cry2:

Noooooo why?
Original post by mnot

agree with maths and further, physics on the other hand... :hand: :tongue:
Noooooo why?

I got a 3 in my start of year mock :bawling:
Original post by laurawatt
agree with maths and further, physics on the other hand... :hand: :tongue:

The physics is supplemental.
Further maths was genuinely the most useful thing I ever did in school.
I got a 3 in my start of year mock :bawling:

Did you ask for feedback from your teacher? History essays generally have a certain layout or structure - if you conform to it and address the main objectives, you should be okay. Your exam board should have mark schemes which might help you.
Did you ask for feedback from your teacher? History essays generally have a certain layout or structure - if you conform to it and address the main objectives, you should be okay. Your exam board should have mark schemes which might help you.

Yes I’ve looked at them. My teacher says I’m not opinionated enough, too passive. But that’s just my nature I’m not a debating kind of person. I think they’re getting better but my teachers been on paternity leave for the past 3 weeks or so and hasn’t looked at my recent essays, and I’m not going to see him again before my mock week starts that’ll contribute to my final grade. So yeh if I’m not doing them right I’m in trouble. If you ever fancy reading a history essay... :colondollar:
Yes I’ve looked at them. My teacher says I’m not opinionated enough, too passive. But that’s just my nature I’m not a debating kind of person. I think they’re getting better but my teachers been on paternity leave for the past 3 weeks or so and hasn’t looked at my recent essays, and I’m not going to see him again before my mock week starts that’ll contribute to my final grade. So yeh if I’m not doing them right I’m in trouble. If you ever fancy reading a history essay... :colondollar:

When does your mock week start? I don’t mind having a read (you’ll have to be patient with me time wise though which is why I’m asking when your mock is) - just bear in mind it’s been a (long) while since I’ve done my GCSE history so I won’t be the best assessor but hopefully I can give you some general pointers :smile:
When does your mock week start? I don’t mind having a read (you’ll have to be patient with me time wise though which is why I’m asking when your mock is) - just bear in mind it’s been a (long) while since I’ve done my GCSE history so I won’t be the best assessor but hopefully I can give you some general pointers :smile:

Aww thank you so much. You’re so kind :hugs:
Mocks week starts 1st March, my history is on the 2nd. Take as long as you want to look over it, and if it’s too much and you can’t don’t worry at all. The exam board is CIE and as far as I understand, the questions, while shorter, the evaluation and opinion needed is that of AS/A level standard. Is Vietnam ok?
Aww thank you so much. You’re so kind :hugs:
Mocks week starts 1st March, my history is on the 2nd. Take as long as you want to look over it, and if it’s too much and you can’t don’t worry at all. The exam board is CIE and as far as I understand, the questions, while shorter, the evaluation and opinion needed is that of AS/A level standard. Is Vietnam ok?

Sure send it over. I didn’t cover Vietnam at GCSE but I’d be happy to learn from your essay :biggrin:
I can give you general history essay pointers I.e. whether you’ve covered the main objectives that they look for.

I’ve just found some of my old year 11 history essays so can look over them to make a general comparison if you want (I got A*).
Original post by mnot

definitely maths and further maths, they’re oddly rewarding aha. I got a grade 5 in GCSE physics so.. 🙃
Original post by DSKE
Hi :biggrin: how did you revise for biology and chemistry? I need some tips 😬

I’ll PM you about this (bear with me though, you’ll have to wait a bit) because I don’t want to derail the thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest