The Student Room Group

Universities USA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kamara41
I mean that OP will not be automatically rejected based on academics; I wasn't saying that OP has a good shot at admission to Harvard. Sorry if I didn't explain that properly.

Don't, you did. Their achieved grades for A level (so far) are low (BBBB), as are their GCSE grades (for this level of university). I don't know much about Harvard, but would assume that it has reasonable academic standards. As I understand it (and I could well be wrong), US universities don't really look at predicted grades, as their offers are unconditional. Is that different for international applicants?
Original post by RogerOxon
Don't, you did. Their achieved grades for A level (so far) are low (BBBB), as are their GCSE grades (for this level of university). I don't know much about Harvard, but would assume that it has reasonable academic standards. As I understand it (and I could well be wrong), US universities don't really look at predicted grades, as their offers are unconditional. Is that different for international applicants?

I could be wrong, but I thought that were their 'currently working at', not predicted grades. Most schools won't have set predicted grades this early I should think. If those are indeed the predicted grades, I agree, that would almost certainly put Harvard out of reach. I don't know of anyone who has gotten into a Top 20 US universities being predicted less than at least all As.

Generally US universities do look at predicted grades (there are a few state universities who, by state law, don't but 98% will) - they will be seen to represent the student's Year 12 work.
Offers aren't unconditional but are definitely very loose. I've emailed admissions officers asking what final grades I will need to achieve (predicted 4 A*s) and most have said 'just don't get all Cs', though one was much tougher.

Edit: just saw that OP put predicted A-levels as A*AAA beneath. Are these final or just an estimate? Seems awful early if you're in Y12.
(edited 3 years ago)
International applicants are likely to have really good grades. I don't really think your GCSE grades, with a 5, no 9s etc and current grades are good enough as it's got a pretty high standard for such internationals, even if your SAT/ACT are good.
Reply 23
Original post by RogerOxon

These are my predicted grades for the end of the year. Not for the actual a-level exams.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ajay1233
These are my predicted grades for the end of the year. Not for the actual a-level exams.

How do u have A level predictions so early on ? Are these your UCAS ones
Original post by linedpaper
International applicants are likely to have really good grades. I don't really think your GCSE grades, with a 5, no 9s etc and current grades are good enough as it's got a pretty high standard for such internationals, even if your SAT/ACT are good.

You’re wrong on all barriers. US universities often don’t look at GCSEs, especially for this year they’ll matter much less as they were not done. GCSEs have been predicted as have A-Levels, which have led many of them to disregard them completely. Harvard does have particularly high standards, which may mean, it’s out of the question for someone of his level. However, I think it’s still in the realm of possibility. My friend got accepted nearly 2 years ago (1/3 applicants from the U.K. The total number who applied was around 900.), he achieved 12 GCSEs none were 9s. However, they were all 7s. A 7 is equivalent to an A, if you believed it was a B, then I understand. However, he has achieved 6 As, and 3 A*, which is really good, placing him in the 98 percentile in the British system. The five he achieved was in foreign languages, which is looked at by Oxford and Cambridge as base standard pass, (what is looked for, but not desired).

I’m assuming you have something which splits you apart from the rest? A Duke of Edinburgh Gold, a gift for music (Grade 8/9) or maybe even a young parliament participation. These will certainly boost your application. Along with a large history of profound extracurricular sports. That will certainly help.

His SAT practise scores were good. I’d say borderline acceptable. From my own knowledge, Harvard’s average is 1520-1560. I believe this months test is 1 month in the future. He isn’t sub-par in any factors. Therefore, I would say apply. Write a great personal statement, one which is captivating, creative and unique. That’s what Harvard, probably somewhere else are looking for.

Best of luck!
Reply 26
Original post by philip.13o+++++
How do u have A level predictions so early on ? Are these your UCAS ones

No, my school had December mocks. I scored all Bs, so they predicted by the end of the year that I would have all A’s. However, in October 2021, there will be more mocks. These will be for UCAS
Original post by Anonymous
US universities often don’t look at GCSEs, especially for this year they’ll matter much less as they were not done.

Write a great personal statement, one which is captivating, creative and unique.

Just going to strongly disagree with this. They definitely look at GCSEs. After all, for domestic applicants, they look at all of their high school grades, and GCSEs will represent your Y10 and Y11 grades. From all the universities I've spoken to about GCSEs and A-levels, I received four different answers: 'We consider both but slightly lean towards A-levels, we consider both but slightly lean towards GCSEs, we consider both equally, or we only consider GCSEs but expect equally strong finally A-level grades'. I must have asked that question to about 40-50 universities, and no international admissions officer said that they don't consider GCSEs, or even that they will 'mostly' look at A-levels. The majority may place slightly more weight on predicted A-levels as they are more recent, but I don't know if any school who will put most, or even all, the weight on predicted A-level grades.
I also don't think the fact that this year's will be teacher assessed will change anything, at least as much as British universities possibly - after all American grades are teacher-assessed.

Otherwise, I agree - you can still get into H with OP's GCSE grades. Because GCSEs and predicted A-level grades are far from the only things they consider. They'll look at your extracurriculars (and I think OP's soccer could be a good spike), your Common App essay, your Harvard supplemental essay, your 3 letters of recommendation, your character and personality traits, your talents, your context. It is a very holistic admissions process.

Also just wanted to clarify that US universities don't have a UCAS-style personal statement.
I am just looking for some advice I am in year 12 and was wondering which schools I would realistically be able to apply for in the US.
I achieved 6(In Spanish)7777888899 for GCSE and I am working at AAB (edge of being an A) currently but will have 4 a level predicted grades as I take maths and further maths. I have played a range of sports and have been doing a wide range of extra-curricular consistently throughout school, as well as community work/outreach work for environmental programs. I am planning on taking the SAT or ACT this year depending on covid. Is this a suitable level for someone considering ivy league schools etc?
I am just looking for some advice I am in year 12 and was wondering which schools I would realistically be able to apply for in the US.
I achieved 6(In Spanish)7777888899 for GCSE and I am working at AAB (edge of being an A) currently but will have 4 a level predicted grades as I take maths and further maths. I have played a range of sports and have been doing a wide range of extra-curricular consistently throughout school, as well as community work/outreach work for environmental programs. I am planning on taking the SAT or ACT this year depending on covid. Is this a suitable level for someone considering ivy league schools etc?

Your GCSE grades are definitely on low end for the Ivy League, but not the end of the world. But I think a prediction of AAB or even AAA would likely be too low for the Ivy League. I spoke to three international admissions officers at Ivy-level universities about what kind of A-level grades they were looking for: one said "as high as possible"; the other two said "mainly A*s".

I'm not using the word impossible as admission in the US is very holistic and they will also weigh things like extracurriculars, talents, and personality heavily, but I think based on what those intl AOs said it would be very hard to overcome. All of the Ivy Leagues have sub-10% acceptance rates for international students so are extremely competitive. Maybe give one or two Top 20s that you really love and think you're a great fit for a go, but I would focus on universities that have acceptance rates above 20%. Liberal arts colleges, typically, on average, are slightly more holistic so maybe give some of them a look.

Admission to American universities is not a science - there are no entry requirements and admissions are very holistic - so please don't take my opinion as fact, however. I'm simply making my best judgement based on the stats of applicants to Ivies that I've seen, their single-digit acceptance rates, and those quotes by AOs.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kamara41
Your GCSE grades are definitely on low end for the Ivy League, but not the end of the world. But I think a prediction of AAB or even AAA would likely be too low for the Ivy League. I spoke to three international admissions officers at Ivy-level universities about what kind of A-level grades they were looking for: one said "as high as possible"; the other two said "mainly A*s".

I'm not using the word impossible as admission in the US is very holistic and they will also weigh things like extracurriculars, talents, and personality heavily, but I think based on what those intl AOs said it would be very hard to overcome. All of the Ivy Leagues have sub-10% acceptance rates for international students so are extremely competitive. Maybe give one or two Top 20s that you really love and think you're a great fit for a go, but I would focus on universities that have acceptance rates above 20%. Liberal arts colleges, typically, on average, are slightly more holistic so maybe give some of them a look.

Admission to American universities is not a science - there are no entry requirements and admissions are very holistic - so please don't take my opinion as fact, however. I'm simply making my best judgement based on the stats of applicants to Ivies that I've seen, their single-digit acceptance rates, and those quotes by AOs.

Thanks, your advice definitely correlates with the other information I have received. Definitely agree with the AAB predictions being too low those are just the grades I was working at in December but aiming for A*A*AA. My gcses were the summer exams so they were lower than my high school mocks but the few I resat for autumn exam series I went from 777 to 988 in GCSEs. Can I ask where you have got all your information from if there is a particular source as you seem very informed about admissions?

Ivy League grad here. The great thing about US admissions is that they're so holistic and your application will be evaluated as a whole! If your grades are weaker points of your application, I would suggest you focus on sports and extracurriculars as well as community/outreach work. If you have sports accolades or leadership roles that can lend a lot of weight. Offset that with your work with environmental programs (schools are often keen to see activities that are socially conscious and reveal your values) and those can strengthen and add color to your profile.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending