The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azagthoa
I completely agree with you in that we must be open and educated about the past. However the simple fact is that Britain has a racist colonialist past and that is not up for discussion, and to pretend it is causes harm to BAME and LGBT+ folk. Just because we are open and honest about the past does not mean we should glorify it. All statues of slavers and racists (Chruchill included) must come down. I fully support Sadiq and his review into these matters. At least one politician still has integrity.

If Churchill hadn’t been there, you and I couldn’t even have the opportunity to discuss issues like this here. You might have been physically eliminated by the Nazi totalitarian regime for disagreeing with the ruling party. He defended the nation from being occupied by Nazi, and he defended the democracy you are enjoying now. He WAS an imperialist. But his contribution to our modern society overweighs his racism. If we all listen to the wokeists, defining a historical figure only based on whether he or she was a racist/sexist/transphobia, the liberty and democracy we have today will be abused, and finally we will see no one would protect us when new totalitarian force emerges.
(edited 2 years ago)
The whole obsession on 'woke' by both sides is very much a bubble issue. There was a poll recently. The majority of people have never heard of the term.
Original post by DSilva
The whole obsession on 'woke' by both sides is very much a bubble issue. There was a poll recently. The majority of people have never heard of the term.

The threat of “woke” has to be introduced to the public. It’s not a usual threat that we can explicitly beware such as terrorism and fascism. Wokeists embed their extremism in common morality, which is hard to be debated or enquired.
Original post by SchneiderM
The threat of “woke” has to be introduced to the public. It’s not a usual threat that we can explicitly beware such as terrorism and fascism. Wokeists embed their extremism in common morality, which is hard to be debated or enquired.

🙄

It's such a bubble issue that is endlessly debated online but doesn't impact the vast majority of people at all.
Original post by DSilva
🙄

It's such a bubble issue that is endlessly debated online but doesn't impact the vast majority of people at all.

That’s the point of Tory’s War on Woke. It actually raises the awareness among more people.
That’s the point of Tory’s War on Woke. It actually raises the awareness among more people.

It's completely manufactured. The sole aim to distract people from actual issues that matter.
Original post by DSilva
It's completely manufactured. The sole aim to distract people from actual issues that matter.

Perhaps yes. But it also matters a lot, especially for people in academia and media.
If the cancer of woke is spread in the nation, the freedom-of-opinion spirit of the nation will be demolished. And then people will find nothing could be more severe than that.
Reply 187
Original post by DSilva

Do these people live under a rock? One would have thought that if theyre taking part in political polls theyd read the news and thus cannot never have heard of the term?

Wokeism, whilst repugnant, isnt exactly on a par with terrorism and fascism.. even if certain members of that ideology share traits with the latter...
AS to the morality, its an interesting one, if easily refuted given that their idea of their holding superior moral attitudes also rests on the belief that any other belief is inherently immoral. It makes debating them pointless as theyll never listen to any divergent point of view but it equally savces a lot of time as no one need bother debating them as opposed to simply letting them fulminate about 'injustice this and injustice that' :rolleyes:
Wokeists embed their extremism in common morality, which is hard to be debated or enquired.

Yep... It's basically just another take on the 'think of the children' argument. You either support the issue, or you hate children/show no regard for the safety of children.

It's same idea here. You either support X cause, or you hate Y group. As soon as you express issue with the idea, the issue is sidelined and instead, the focus is on how you must be against Y group, otherwise you'd support it.
Reply 189
Original post by TheMcSame
Yep... It's basically just another take on the 'think of the children' argument. You either support the issue, or you hate children/show no regard for the safety of children.

It's same idea here. You either support X cause, or you hate Y group. As soon as you express issue with the idea, the issue is sidelined and instead, the focus is on how you must be against Y group, otherwise you'd support it.

Its a really basic fallacy as well, simply going after the person and not the argument. To their perverse ideology on the matter it doesnt matter what you say but if its at all different from what they believe youre automatically worse than hitler and anything you say can be binned as such. Its ridiculous in that it lumps actual hate filled people who dont like transsexuals/gays/black/asian/insider whatever group here tbh, with those who have no issue with any of the groups but merely question some aspect of their ideology. e.g. someone who doesnt believe thast there really asre 7billion genders is,. in their eyes (glazed with idiocy) both of them are the same in how 'evil' they are despite the fact that to anyone with half a brain cell theyre not even remotely close.
As a nice example lets look to Rowling or Chapelle, theyre branded as being the worst kind of trans hating bigots despite the fact theyre quite obviously not and theyre lumped in with the like of extremist religious nutters who think they should all be killed :lol:
Original post by Napp
Do these people live under a rock? One would have thought that if theyre taking part in political polls theyd read the news and thus cannot never have heard of the term?

Wokeism, whilst repugnant, isnt exactly on a par with terrorism and fascism.. even if certain members of that ideology share traits with the latter...
AS to the morality, its an interesting one, if easily refuted given that their idea of their holding superior moral attitudes also rests on the belief that any other belief is inherently immoral. It makes debating them pointless as theyll never listen to any divergent point of view but it equally savces a lot of time as no one need bother debating them as opposed to simply letting them fulminate about 'injustice this and injustice that' :rolleyes:

It's the old adage of 'Britain isn't Twitter'. What seems a big deal and is heavily debated online often generates next to no cut through to vast swathes of the population.
Reply 191
Original post by DSilva
It's the old adage of 'Britain isn't Twitter'. What seems a big deal and is heavily debated online often generates next to no cut through to vast swathes of the population.

Its in every news outlet, bar none, on almost a daily basis..
Original post by Napp
Its in every news outlet, bar none, on almost a daily basis..

Most people worry about the cost of living, crime, schools, healthcare etc. Endless debates about pronouns and pictures in university common rooms don't even register on their radar.
Original post by Napp

One in 10 adults in Britain have not heard of Keir Starmer
More than one in five have not heard of Jacob Rees-Mogg
Gerry Adams means nothing to a third of the country and Liz Truss and Emily Thornberry mean nothing to half

One in four of the population have not heard of the Boy Scouts and the same is true of the Girl Guides.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by DSilva
Most people worry about the cost of living, crime, schools, healthcare etc. Endless debates about pronouns and pictures in university common rooms don't even register on their radar.

What does that have to do with what i said sorry? I am merely stating the fact that youd have to be blind not to have seen the issue pop up, even if someone doesnt care or chose to read into it they would still be aware that it is an issue. Not least thanks to the constant caterwauling of the activist types.
Reply 195
Original post by nulli tertius
One in 10 adults in Britain have not heard of Keir Starmer
More than one in five have not heard of Jacob Rees-Mogg
Gerry Adams means nothing to a third of the country and Liz Truss and Emily Thornberry mean nothing to half

One in four of the population have not heard of the Boy Scouts and the same is true of the Girl Guides.

Where did you get said figures from?
Not surprised about Trus and Thornbury though, theyre imminently forgettable after all.
I find the Scouts one rather dubious though, although that might be because of city types.
Original post by Napp
Where did you get said figures from?
Not surprised about Trus and Thornbury though, theyre imminently forgettable after all.
I find the Scouts one rather dubious though, although that might be because of city types.

It is on the Yougov website.

I think it is to do with a common fallacy that sees oneself as representative of a population.

We have had this in spades over the weekend regarding the National Trust where an anti-woke pressure group of reasonable size (perhaps 30,000) have considered that they are representative of National Trust members. Despite a lot of PR, they have lost all their battles at the NT AGM and in addition the NT has banned hunts from their land. I suspect the average age of their supporters is well on the high side of 70 but the average NT member is 55 with an average joining age of 46. Middle class 46 year olds are people who have probably been voting Labour for nearly 30 years. This pressure group have simply looked through the thousands of young families who visit NT properties for access to better parkland than the local council provides (which one might describe as classic middle class hypocracy) and not seen them at all. The only members the pressure group have seen are the people in the country houses, formal gardens and tearooms who look like them and have then wrongly concluded that the membership share their views.

If my world is centred on work, the home, the temple or mosque and high performance cars, I don't know who the Boys Scouts are any more than I know who Andy Murray is.
Original post by Napp
What does that have to do with what i said sorry? I am merely stating the fact that youd have to be blind not to have seen the issue pop up, even if someone doesnt care or chose to read into it they would still be aware that it is an issue. Not least thanks to the constant caterwauling of the activist types.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/05/18/what-does-woke-mean-britons

Have a look there. 59% of Britons have not heard of the term woke.
Original post by DSilva
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/05/18/what-does-woke-mean-britons

Have a look there. 59% of Britons have not heard of the term woke.

But I reckon maybe most of them know what 'woke' looks like, if you don't mention the word 'woke' but describe it to them. I remember there were some surveys indicating that more people, especially those in academia, found they dared not to express their opinions as they could easily get accused of being transphobia, racist, sexist etc. and then unemployed. So I think there should be more than 59% of the surveyed people having heard of the phenomena related to wokeness, though they have never heard of the word itself.
Original post by nulli tertius
It is on the Yougov website.

I think it is to do with a common fallacy that sees oneself as representative of a population.

We have had this in spades over the weekend regarding the National Trust where an anti-woke pressure group of reasonable size (perhaps 30,000) have considered that they are representative of National Trust members. Despite a lot of PR, they have lost all their battles at the NT AGM and in addition the NT has banned hunts from their land. I suspect the average age of their supporters is well on the high side of 70 but the average NT member is 55 with an average joining age of 46. Middle class 46 year olds are people who have probably been voting Labour for nearly 30 years. This pressure group have simply looked through the thousands of young families who visit NT properties for access to better parkland than the local council provides (which one might describe as classic middle class hypocracy) and not seen them at all. The only members the pressure group have seen are the people in the country houses, formal gardens and tearooms who look like them and have then wrongly concluded that the membership share their views.

If my world is centred on work, the home, the temple or mosque and high performance cars, I don't know who the Boys Scouts are any more than I know who Andy Murray is.

People who are interested in politics / current affairs vastly overestimate the extent to which the country at large is. I'd be amazed if more than 30% of the population could name 5 cabinet ministers.

Latest

Trending

Trending