The Student Room Group

how do you write a history essay for uni??? Is there a particular style???

This is my question: Explain what was most vital and what was most vulnerable about the pre-Reformation English Church.
For a history module in a theology degreeeeee xxx
Your uni should give you a style sheet.

But since it a humanities subject i reckon you should be using Chicago.

Assuming thats what meant
Original post by Stumpy1001
Your uni should give you a style sheet.

But since it a humanities subject i reckon you should be using Chicago.

Assuming thats what meant

Not referencing...I mean essay structure...Can I literally do 3 paras on vital and 3 on vulnerable???
Original post by Tangledseries
Not referencing...I mean essay structure...Can I literally do 3 paras on vital and 3 on vulnerable???

I always stick to the good old intro, mainbody , conclusion.

Obviously your mainbody will have a new paragraph eveytime you start a new topic but the original layout is still there.

Not claiming to be an expert but its done me well. Written loads of essays for uni and never got below a 68.
I always stick to the good old intro, mainbody , conclusion.

Obviously your mainbody will have a new paragraph eveytime you start a new topic but the original layout is still there.

Not claiming to be an expert but its done me well. Written loads of essays for uni and never got below a 68.

Dammmmmm you clever...and I am gonna end up homelessssss :frown:(((

i don't know why but I'm reading sarcasm into that. ahhaa

In all honesty i think if you have gathered enough sources, read them all, the information should be i you head to do a bullet point layout of what you are going to say. Then you just expand on those bullet points.
I often ask people if you are struggling on what to write for the essay topic are you sure you have read enough academic sources?
i don't know why but I'm reading sarcasm into that. ahhaa

sorry I was only talking about the bit where you said you never got below 68!!! So far I only have got 59, 61, and 63...2 more results coming next week...
sorry I was only talking about the bit where you said you never got below 68!!! So far I only have got 59, 61, and 63...2 more results coming next week...

no need to apologise. I have been surprising myself this year hahaha.
This is my question: Explain what was most vital and what was most vulnerable about the pre-Reformation English Church.
For a history module in a theology degreeeeee xxx

For degree level essay work you probably want to be moving beyond A-level "for and against" arguments and try and take a more holistic approach, and interrogate the essay question itself as well. Also try and develop an individual position on the issue at hand yourself, rather than just paraphrasing the what other people have said to present all sides of the argument, and place try to juxtapose the secondary sources you use (i.e. put them in conversation with each other) rather than just have them as isolated descriptive accounts.

So for example, you should consider the two things not only separately, but together; what was there which was vital that could also be considered vulnerable? How did those two qualities interact if they did coexist for some given factor (was something vulnerable because it was vital, or was it vital because it was vulnerable?). You could also maybe question the notion of "pre-reformation English Church"; can it be argued that there was an English Church in England before the reformation, or was it merely the Catholic church, in England? Was this fact a vulnerability, or somehow vital to the existence/definition of the church there?

Basically try and move beyond thinking about the issues and phrasing of the essay question in black and white terms, and explore what is in the middle of those absolutes. If you write a very rigid essay where it's just "intro, few paragraphs for, few paragraphs against, conclusion" (or in this case, vital/vulnerable instead of for/against) without really integrating these aspects fluently throughout the essay, it probably won't read that well (which may or may not influence the marks you get).
Original post by artful_lounger
For degree level essay work you probably want to be moving beyond A-level "for and against" arguments and try and take a more holistic approach, and interrogate the essay question itself as well. Also try and develop an individual position on the issue at hand yourself, rather than just paraphrasing the what other people have said to present all sides of the argument, and place try to juxtapose the secondary sources you use (i.e. put them in conversation with each other) rather than just have them as isolated descriptive accounts.

So for example, you should consider the two things not only separately, but together; what was there which was vital that could also be considered vulnerable? How did those two qualities interact if they did coexist for some given factor (was something vulnerable because it was vital, or was it vital because it was vulnerable?). You could also maybe question the notion of "pre-reformation English Church"; can it be argued that there was an English Church in England before the reformation, or was it merely the Catholic church, in England? Was this fact a vulnerability, or somehow vital to the existence/definition of the church there?

Basically try and move beyond thinking about the issues and phrasing of the essay question in black and white terms, and explore what is in the middle of those absolutes. If you write a very rigid essay where it's just "intro, few paragraphs for, few paragraphs against, conclusion" (or in this case, vital/vulnerable instead of for/against) without really integrating these aspects fluently throughout the essay, it probably won't read that well (which may or may not influence the marks you get).

or this.
Original post by artful_lounger

OMG you ARE best and you are KEY just like Liu Yfei...Me so dumb I have never done history before...Thank you so much...I will try to do what you suggest but I'll probably fail because I have no view on what is more important or better :frown:
OMG you ARE best and you are KEY just like Liu Yfei...Me so dumb I have never done history before...Thank you so much...I will try to do what you suggest but I'll probably fail because I have no view on what is more important or better :frown:

To be fair, I've never studied history before either, so there might be more to it for history specifically (e.g. source evaluation/analysis) :redface: But for writing essays at uni level generally, that kind of stuff is more or less what was indicated to me to be what I should be aiming for (and I just tried to apply some to your essay question, albeit with no prior knowledge of the field :O

As for having a view, read what other people have written on it, and think about whether you agree with their arguments or not. If not, why? Then write why you disagree with it! Likewise for agreeing with it, although that can be a little harder to write why you agree with it; easier to look at counterarguments to that perspective, and write why you don't think agree with those.

Inevitably you'll probably find something more compelling, more interesting, more convincing even by yourself, outside of what others have written; just go with that instinct and write about it. Even if you only very slightly think one thing is more important, think about why you are leaning towards that analytically and as above, write about it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending