The Student Room Group

Turnitin

Turnitin says I have 22% of someone elses work but we have different data and looked at different variables. The parts that were highlighted was the theory parts. There's read everywhere... should I be really worried?
Original post by Anonymous
Turnitin says I have 22% of someone elses work but we have different data and looked at different variables. The parts that were highlighted was the theory parts. There's read everywhere... should I be really worried?

"the parts that were highlighted was the theory parts" indicates that you have been sloppy with your referencing. If you are a first-year then you will just get a talking to. If you are second year or above you may lose marks. If you are referring to a theory, you need to reference whose theory it was e.g. Five Forces Model (Porter, 1985). You have not tried to pass off the model as your own but failed to indicate whose theory/model it was.

Hiya!

I would recommend emailing your university's Student Study Support team. They will be able to provide some help with referencing queries. :smile: You can also email your lecturer/ personal tutor about the query, as they can go over it with you and make sure you don't repeat similar mistakes for future assignments. They will want to help :smile:

Double-check to see if they offer this service, but I like to send my work to them before a deadline as they can read over it and check any referencing, grammar, spelling errors. This has been so helpful for me and is a great service so would highly recommend it to you in the future.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Hey,

Some universities accept Turnitin scores of 10% but it just depends on the course. The marker is usually checking for plagiarism in your referencing, spelling and grammar or in your case theory as you've used data.

Have you been in touch with your tutor? There's no harm in getting in touch with them as they will be able to give you guidance on your situation and provide you with some reassurance :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending