The Student Room Group

Should I have a car for the first year of Uni?

Hi,

So i’m planning on going to Uni in September and I was just wondering if it would be recommended to have a car for my first year after i (hopefully) pass my test?
For context, I’m planning to go to a Uni about 100 miles away so am not sure whether i’d need a car or not. I’m planning on living on uni campus and am not sure what I think of having a car yet? All of my siblings had cars at this age, one cos they didn’t go to uni and worked and one cos he went to a uni about 30 miles away and drove everyday.
If I don’t get one this year I will likely carry it over until 2nd year and stay saving money as one may be more appropriate in 2nd year. I’m not opposing to keeping to public transport it’s just conflicting as a car & insurance is a lot, but i don’t want to go an extended period of time without a car after just learning & one would be nice to go to sites in the area that is hard for public transport??

I hope that makes sense & any advice would help.
Thank you!!
Reply 1
If you're living on campus then there's no point as it's an extra cost to worry about.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So i’m planning on going to Uni in September and I was just wondering if it would be recommended to have a car for my first year after i (hopefully) pass my test?
For context, I’m planning to go to a Uni about 100 miles away so am not sure whether i’d need a car or not. I’m planning on living on uni campus and am not sure what I think of having a car yet? All of my siblings had cars at this age, one cos they didn’t go to uni and worked and one cos he went to a uni about 30 miles away and drove everyday.
If I don’t get one this year I will likely carry it over until 2nd year and stay saving money as one may be more appropriate in 2nd year. I’m not opposing to keeping to public transport it’s just conflicting as a car & insurance is a lot, but i don’t want to go an extended period of time without a car after just learning & one would be nice to go to sites in the area that is hard for public transport??

I hope that makes sense & any advice would help.
Thank you!!

Don't get a car for uni. Parking is a nightmare whichever uni you go to so its easier to catch the bus like the other students and take a train when you want to go home.

If you are on a campus uni like Loughborough or Birmingham there is limited parking and its mainly for the staff. If you go to a city uni like Strathclyde you will pay a fortune parking in an NCP car park each day. Strathclyde has a deal with NCP in that if you get your parking ticket stamped by the uni security then you can park for £7 a day but it's half that getting a bus or free if you cycle in.

The other downside is that you will be expected to chauffeur everyone everywhere and stay sober since you are driving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending