The Student Room Group

A101 GEM University of Oxford 2022

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of Oxford A101.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about Oxford. :biggrin:

I know I'm early but I couldn't resist making a new discussion. Anyone applying?

I'm currently doing a MSc in Pharmacology. Hoping to apply for 2022 entry. Super excited!!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zulfequar
I know I'm early but I couldn't resist making a new discussion. Anyone applying?

I'm currently doing a MSc in Pharmacology. Hoping to apply for 2022 entry. Super excited!!!

Hi! I’m planning on applying for 2022 entry as well. Almost done with my undergrad and just got accepted for a MSc in Cardiovascular Research.
Reply 2
Hey guys - I’m a current GEM student at Oxford who has just finished the first year. Feel free to drop any questions my way.
Original post by Keels25
Hey guys - I’m a current GEM student at Oxford who has just finished the first year. Feel free to drop any questions my way.

Hii, I’m planning to apply for GEM at Oxford for 2023 entry! Do you mind if I text you privately to ask some questions?
Reply 4
Original post by Sunkittens
Hii, I’m planning to apply for GEM at Oxford for 2023 entry! Do you mind if I text you privately to ask some questions?

Feel free to message me privately on here.
Original post by Keels25
Feel free to message me privately on here.

It seems I can’t send private messages yet as I’m a new member ):

These are some of the main things I wanted to ask:
1. Where did you do your undergrad and what was your final grade?
2. What kind of extracurriculars/work experiences did you do?
3. How were your BMAT scores?

I’m currently doing my undergrad in Pharmacology at UCL and I really want to try for Oxford GEM, but I’m not sure if it’ll be worth a shot as it seems people with masters and PhDs are usually more qualified.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Sunkittens
It seems I can’t send private messages yet as I’m a new member ):

These are some of the main things I wanted to ask:
1. Where did you do your undergrad and what was your final grade?
2. What kind of extracurriculars/work experiences did you do?
3. How were your BMAT scores?

I’m currently doing my undergrad in Pharmacology at UCL and I really want to try for Oxford GEM, but I’m not sure if it’ll be worth a shot as it seems people with masters and PhDs are usually more qualified.

Thanks in advance!

No worries :smile:
1. Did my undergrad at university of bristol (Neuroscience, 1st). Just a BSc, didn’t do a masters or PhD.
2. Extracurriculars - I didn’t do a lot tbh. Didn’t do any sports or anything like that. I did have over a year of HCA experience plus volunteering at a cognitive rehab centre for people with brain injuries, and some shadowing but this is excessive you don’t need to have done this much.
3. BMAT scores weren’t amazing: 5.1, 4.1, 3.5A. So basically even though they do look at bmat scores, a disappointing score won’t necessarily count you out of the selection process because they look at your other academic credentials too. If you look at previous FOIs from past years you’ll notice that people gain places at Oxford with lower BMAT than scores than you might expect; there’s quite a spread I think in each year.

It’s true from the stats that people with PhDs have a higher success rate, however, there’s a lot of people with only bachelors degrees in my year so I wouldn’t not apply purely on that basis. I did think it would be a bit of a wild card for me when applying, so was pleasantly surprised to have got in. so I think if you meet their requirements and you don’t mind using up an application to apply to Oxford and you really like the course give it a go. Go to the open day in September (unsure of date but should be on the oxford medsci website) and see if you like the look of the course.
Original post by Keels25
1. Did my undergrad at university of bristol (Neuroscience, 1st). Just a BSc, didn’t do a masters or PhD.
2. Extracurriculars - I didn’t do a lot tbh. Didn’t do any sports or anything like that. I did have over a year of HCA experience plus volunteering at a cognitive rehab centre for people with brain injuries, and some shadowing but this is excessive you don’t need to have done this much.
3. BMAT scores weren’t amazing: 5.1, 4.1, 3.5A. So basically even though they do look at bmat scores, a disappointing score won’t necessarily count you out of the selection process because they look at your other academic credentials too. If you look at previous FOIs from past years you’ll notice that people gain places at Oxford with lower BMAT than scores than you might expect; there’s quite a spread I think in each year.

It’s true from the stats that people with PhDs have a higher success rate, however, there’s a lot of people with only bachelors degrees in my year so I wouldn’t not apply purely on that basis. I did think it would be a bit of a wild card for me when applying, so was pleasantly surprised to have got in. so I think if you meet their requirements and you don’t mind using up an application to apply to Oxford and you really like the course give it a go. Go to the open day in September (unsure of date but should be on the oxford medsci website) and see if you like the look of the course.

Wow this gives me a lot of hope! My GCSEs and A levels are very mediocre but meets the entry criteria for the course. I’m also an international student, so I needed some assurance on whether it’s a long shot or not. I guess I’ll try to prepare as best as I can before I apply next year. If you don’t mind, I might text you later if I need some help. And thank you so much!
Reply 8
Hi Keels25, would you mind if I messaged you privately with a couple of questions, thinking about applying for 2023 entry? @Keels25
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ikhn54
Hi Keels25, would you mind if I messaged you privately with a couple of questions, thinking about applying for 2023 entry? @Keels25

Yes of course :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Keels25
Yes of course :smile:

Great, Thank you! (i'm unable to send private messages at the moment but will message you as soon as I am able to) @Keels25
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I am thinking of applying this year with 1st prediction in biochemistry BSc prediction. Do you think Oxford has a preference for applicants who have achieved degree classifications over predicted ones? Also, what do you have to include in the Oxford Application form apart from 2 additional references and is there any way of accessing the form questions prior to application? Lastly, how many interviews did you have and what advice would you give anyone who is lucky enough to get an interview :smile:
Original post by ekkobekko
Hi, I am thinking of applying this year with 1st prediction in biochemistry BSc prediction. Do you think Oxford has a preference for applicants who have achieved degree classifications over predicted ones? Also, what do you have to include in the Oxford Application form apart from 2 additional references and is there any way of accessing the form questions prior to application? Lastly, how many interviews did you have and what advice would you give anyone who is lucky enough to get an interview :smile:

Hey :smile:
Glad you are thinking of applying!
1. Achieved degrees vs predicted. Here is a link to the FAQ section of the Ox med sci website for grad med, which answers your query: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/faqs/must-i-have-completed-my-degree-before-i-apply
Essentially, the answer is that there is no preference for achieved degree classifications, but if you are applying without an achieved result they may give other aspects of your application more consideration e.g. previous academic performance (A-level, etc), BMAT etc.

2. Oxford application form: I don't think it has opened yet for 2022 entry, so I could not access the questions. To my knowledge, you won't be able to access questions until the form is released but it is normally done in good time so you will have ample time to complete it prior to the deadline. From memory, I think it was mainly giving the contact details of referees, answering some questions about experiences you've had, and I think there is also space for you to include an Oxford-directed personal statement outlining why you want to apply there (this was optional when I applied).

3. Interviews: I'm pretty sure most of us had four interviews each (2 interviews at each college, because you get interviewed by two separate colleges).
In terms of advice, I personally found it quite hard to prepare for the interviews because I wasn't sure what to expect - every college is different and will ask a different set of questions so you all end up having very different experiences as applicants. But there are definitely things you can do to be better prepared:
-Really try to relax and make a good impression, appear enthusiastic and happy to be there (first impressions count for a lot in any interview)
-In the weeks leading up, maybe choose some topics of medical interest and read up on them so that you have something to talk about if asked
-You could find some Oxbridge style interview questions online and attempt answering them as you would in a real interview (this could help with your approach on the day if they ask you a question that initially stumps you).
-Always try to think out loud, talk the interviewers through your thought processes
-You might also find it useful to recap some A-level biology (which you may have done a little of already for BMAT prep)
-You could also practice interpreting data and figures in scientific papers as data interpretation is a skill they often assess at interview
Other than this, any prep you've done for other interviews (e.g. MMI-type) may also benefit you at Oxford if you are asked any questions about your experiences, or ethical questions/dilemmas.
See the ox medsci website for further information/stats about the previous admissions cycle and the admissions process in general.

Hope this is useful!
Reply 13
Hi @Keels25, wanted to know if you had any tips on writing the personal statement and what would make a personal statement stand out. Also, would having summer lab research experience help strengthen your application, or does oxford focus more on clinical work experiences?
Original post by Keels25
Hey :smile:
Glad you are thinking of applying!
1. Achieved degrees vs predicted. Here is a link to the FAQ section of the Ox med sci website for grad med, which answers your query: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/faqs/must-i-have-completed-my-degree-before-i-apply
Essentially, the answer is that there is no preference for achieved degree classifications, but if you are applying without an achieved result they may give other aspects of your application more consideration e.g. previous academic performance (A-level, etc), BMAT etc.

2. Oxford application form: I don't think it has opened yet for 2022 entry, so I could not access the questions. To my knowledge, you won't be able to access questions until the form is released but it is normally done in good time so you will have ample time to complete it prior to the deadline. From memory, I think it was mainly giving the contact details of referees, answering some questions about experiences you've had, and I think there is also space for you to include an Oxford-directed personal statement outlining why you want to apply there (this was optional when I applied).

3. Interviews: I'm pretty sure most of us had four interviews each (2 interviews at each college, because you get interviewed by two separate colleges).
In terms of advice, I personally found it quite hard to prepare for the interviews because I wasn't sure what to expect - every college is different and will ask a different set of questions so you all end up having very different experiences as applicants. But there are definitely things you can do to be better prepared:
-Really try to relax and make a good impression, appear enthusiastic and happy to be there (first impressions count for a lot in any interview)
-In the weeks leading up, maybe choose some topics of medical interest and read up on them so that you have something to talk about if asked
-You could find some Oxbridge style interview questions online and attempt answering them as you would in a real interview (this could help with your approach on the day if they ask you a question that initially stumps you).
-Always try to think out loud, talk the interviewers through your thought processes
-You might also find it useful to recap some A-level biology (which you may have done a little of already for BMAT prep)
-You could also practice interpreting data and figures in scientific papers as data interpretation is a skill they often assess at interview
Other than this, any prep you've done for other interviews (e.g. MMI-type) may also benefit you at Oxford if you are asked any questions about your experiences, or ethical questions/dilemmas.
See the ox medsci website for further information/stats about the previous admissions cycle and the admissions process in general.

Hope this is useful!

Hi,
Thank you so much for your prompt and really helpful response! Do they also look at GCSE results for GEM?
I am actually a post interview reject for the A100 course, do you reckon it's worth mentioning in the Oxford Application form or would it act as a disadvantage?
Did the interviews have a greater emphasis on research paper-based science questions, or were they a bit more general science questions?
Thank you:h:
Original post by ikhn54
Hi @Keels25, wanted to know if you had any tips on writing the personal statement and what would make a personal statement stand out. Also, would having summer lab research experience help strengthen your application, or does oxford focus more on clinical work experiences?

See this link:
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/applying/ps
It is for A100, but personal statements for the GEM course will be similar. I think just make sure that you write it ensuring you're demonstrating their selection criteria (use the ox medsci website, it's really good).
I think the lab research is definitely something you should mention, because it demonstrates an interest in clinical research which is quite important for the Oxford GEM course. It isn't essential to have done it, but an interest in it is good to demonstrate. Clinical work experience is also important, so I would talk about both, but focus more on what you gained from the experiences rather than just listing them off if that makes sense.
Original post by ekkobekko
Hi,
Thank you so much for your prompt and really helpful response! Do they also look at GCSE results for GEM?
I am actually a post interview reject for the A100 course, do you reckon it's worth mentioning in the Oxford Application form or would it act as a disadvantage?
Did the interviews have a greater emphasis on research paper-based science questions, or were they a bit more general science questions?
Thank you:h:

1. GCSEs: it's a bit difficult to definitively say based on info on the website. According to selection criteria page (https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/selection-criteria), if you are not offering a bioscience degree, you must have a Biology GCSE (does not say what grade is required). In the FAQ, in answer to a question about whether you should have achieved a degree result prior to applying, it says that if you have not completed a degree, they may consider other academic credentials more closely e.g. A levels and GCSE. I think it is unlikely that GCSEs will have a massive impact on your shortlisting outcome. For clarity on this matter, I would consider emailing the grad entry admin. If you go to the Ox medsci website and go to the Contact page, you should be able to find an email address for the admin.

2. With regard to the A100 rejection, I am not really sure what the policy is, especially as you would be applying to A101 instead this time. I do know many unis like to know if you have applied before (and some of them keep record of this). Again, I would email the grad entry admin to get an accurate answer. Having completed the form nearly 2 years ago, I cannot remember if there is a section on the form that asks if you've applied to Oxford before.

3. Interviews: I would say there is more emphasis on general science rather than research-paper based science seeing as they interview people from lots of different academic backgrounds.
Wish everyone luck applying this year for Oxford A101 and beyond.

I have a deferred entry offer for GEM at Green Templeton for 2022 and so may well be in the same cohort as some of you!

Agree with everything Keels has said above. I would just add a couple of things. Firstly, strongly recommend watching the info meeting videos that the dept have put on this year running each Wednesday - recordings are available. The Q&A sessions each week will no doubt be of especial interest to you all.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/open-days

Secondly, if I had one bit of advice to give. It would absolutely be to tailor your application (both your PS and your Oxford spec. application) to the entry criteria. There is no tricks here, that is exactly how your application is assessed. Your application as a whole is assessed by two academics against this criteria. You would do well to ensure all three referees provide information reinforcing your PS but also adding in things you couldn’t fit in that goes towards matching the entry requirements. These assessments make up I think around 75 or even 80% of your score for shortlisting.

Secondly, the BMAT whilst not nearly as important (~20% weighting) seems to have bounced in importance. Keels is correct above that you can be shortlisted even with a below average score. But realistically it makes it tougher. You are ranked into deciles (combined section 1 and 2) and this score is what is taken into account so it’s your relative score that is important. I scored 11.0/1 this year which usually would be above average for successful applicants. But looking at the stats the average was over 12 this year. So competition has become more fierce for sure - I wouldn’t rest on your laurels for BMAT preparation. Do not be caught out for time like I was on section 2! Section 3 scores aren’t seen until final ranking of interviewees but, again a good score can only help.

Hope that is of some help, good luck again!
Reply 18
Original post by Neuro Alex
Wish everyone luck applying this year for Oxford A101 and beyond.

I have a deferred entry offer for GEM at Green Templeton for 2022 and so may well be in the same cohort as some of you!

Agree with everything Keels has said above. I would just add a couple of things. Firstly, strongly recommend watching the info meeting videos that the dept have put on this year running each Wednesday - recordings are available. The Q&A sessions each week will no doubt be of especial interest to you all.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/open-days

Secondly, if I had one bit of advice to give. It would absolutely be to tailor your application (both your PS and your Oxford spec. application) to the entry criteria. There is no tricks here, that is exactly how your application is assessed. Your application as a whole is assessed by two academics against this criteria. You would do well to ensure all three referees provide information reinforcing your PS but also adding in things you couldn’t fit in that goes towards matching the entry requirements. These assessments make up I think around 75 or even 80% of your score for shortlisting.

Secondly, the BMAT whilst not nearly as important (~20% weighting) seems to have bounced in importance. Keels is correct above that you can be shortlisted even with a below average score. But realistically it makes it tougher. You are ranked into deciles (combined section 1 and 2) and this score is what is taken into account so it’s your relative score that is important. I scored 11.0/1 this year which usually would be above average for successful applicants. But looking at the stats the average was over 12 this year. So competition has become more fierce for sure - I wouldn’t rest on your laurels for BMAT preparation. Do not be caught out for time like I was on section 2! Section 3 scores aren’t seen until final ranking of interviewees but, again a good score can only help.

Hope that is of some help, good luck again!

Hi @Neuro Alex, thanks for the advice!

just wanted to confirm if this link has the entry criteria that you mentioned in your post that the academics compare your application against: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/selection-criteria

Just had a couple of questions:
1) Was wondering how you got to know the weighting of each aspect of the application?
2) do you have any advice in terms of preparing for the BMAT?
3) would you recommend applying after you've graduated with a BSc and taking a year out to do some work experience?
Hi there - no problem!

Correct, those selection criteria are the most important thing to know inside-out when creating an application.

1. I knew by asking last year. This year I believe they are being more transparent about it. Definitely watch those videos and the Q&As as they discuss scoring the application plus BMAT deciles.

2. 100% use the official BMAT prep resource revision guide. Tailor your efforts towards the subjects you haven’t studied before. I skipped over the biology within a couple of days and focused on the physics / chemistry I hadn’t done in ages. The maths is something that got better with practice papers as the questions are quite tricky and difficult to revise for. Obviously, as always do the papers and really go over with a fine tooth comb mistakes. Don’t panic early on if your scores are low. Be strict with the time limit on section 2 and record where you got to. But also finish the paper so as not to lose practice questions. Work quickly from the start because the questions get harder and harder. I would say the hardest biology are still quick to answer though so don’t miss these ones. Half
of section 1 is sort of like DM of UCAT. Learning critical thinking concepts is a must. I was strong at these and more average in the problem solving. As with DM, writing things down is a must. You are a lot less pushed for time here and may well have time to go back. Questions get harder (ignore data analysis questions no longer in syllabus but you want to practice being accurate and avoiding silly mistakes here. Essays again a few practice ones don’t go mad it is least important but definitely plan out a structure and ensure you produce a balanced argument with a sound conclusion.

3. I wouldn’t really recommend one route over another. There is room for a lot of different pathways and experience. A year break for some work experience would definitely give you some points in the ‘commitment to medicine’ criterion so that’s no bad thing. I guess for Oxford always remember that the academic / science side of thing is most important so never lose sight of this in your PS / references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending