The Student Room Group

Managing Online Study

Hi guys

I am 33 year old female and considering going back to Uni. I want to study a Bachelors in Psychology either online or on campus.
For those of you who have studied online how do you manage working at the same time?

Look forward to hearing from you :smile:
Reply 1
Hello! 😊 I'm currently studying Psychology.

It's difficult BUT you just need to get into that routine and be strict with it. Online learning via the OU (open uni) I think would be far more felxiable than campus as you can work more at your own pace.

I study on campus but one thing I will say is that I didn't realise there was so much science and maths involved (biology and statistics) so as a mature student if you're not a natural in these areas - take into account any extra time you'll need to scope out further understanding. YouTube is my best friend!

I always make people aware of that because for me I do tend to spend a lot of extra time on those modules. Best of luck 🥰
Reply 2
Original post by jpcg9191
Hello! 😊 I'm currently studying Psychology.

It's difficult BUT you just need to get into that routine and be strict with it. Online learning via the OU (open uni) I think would be far more felxiable than campus as you can work more at your own pace.

I study on campus but one thing I will say is that I didn't realise there was so much science and maths involved (biology and statistics) so as a mature student if you're not a natural in these areas - take into account any extra time you'll need to scope out further understanding. YouTube is my best friend!

I always make people aware of that because for me I do tend to spend a lot of extra time on those modules. Best of luck 🥰

Thank you good to know as I am definitely am no maths pro 😂
I am swaying more towards campus as I could get maintenance loan meaning I can work part time and finish degree quicker than part time online route.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Natsophie
Thank you good to know as I am definitely am no maths pro 😂
I am swaying more towards campus as I could get maintenance loan meaning I can work part time and finish degree quicker than part time online route.

That's amazing! The maths so far (for us) is mainly done via calculators and software. So FYI its not full on maths 🤣

I enjoy biology but it's hard in places. These are just things I didn't fully realise would be a 'thing'... So I always try to give people the heads up 😁

That's a great idea! Campus sounds like a great option for you!

Best of luck on your journey ✌️😊
Reply 4
Original post by jpcg9191
That's amazing! The maths so far (for us) is mainly done via calculators and software. So FYI its not full on maths 🤣

I enjoy biology but it's hard in places. These are just things I didn't fully realise would be a 'thing'... So I always try to give people the heads up 😁

That's a great idea! Campus sounds like a great option for you!

Best of luck on your journey ✌️😊

Thank you so much, likewise all the best to you :smile:
Original post by Natsophie
Hi guys

I am 33 year old female and considering going back to Uni. I want to study a Bachelors in Psychology either online or on campus.
For those of you who have studied online how do you manage working at the same time?

Look forward to hearing from you :smile:

Hi there.

As a second year university student, I have spent half of my university experience completely online. It was challenging at first because we had never done anything like it before and neither had the lecturers, so we were all just learning as we went. A someone who has been studying online for the best part of a year, I would say that online learning will be easy for you as long as you are prepared for it, and you are good with communication. Having a good routine is also really key.

Regarding juggling work and online learning, I only have a part-time job so it is fairly easy to fit around my studies. If you have a full time job, I gather it would be more difficult to find time to study, but not impossible. The beauty of online learning is the time you save travelling to and from campus. As someone who commutes to campus, I have a lot more time to do university work in this time where I would normally be on a train or standing at the station.

I hope this helps.

Pearson Business School Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending