The Student Room Group

how could i revise for english language GCSE?

titile
English Language is a hard subject to revise for but I'd say you should do as many practice papers/essays as you can and maybe ask your teacher to mark them for you. I also used a YouTube channel called Mr Bruff and he explains exactly how to structure your answers and shows you how the examiner look for marks.
For the description piece learn lots of complicated words e.g. instead of pink say crimson or instead of blue say azure. Instead of a lot of say plethora etc. Go through various books and take note of any descriptive parts memorise them (something not too specific so it is likely that you can use it in your essay. When you get your texts, don't be afraid to steal sentences or words from them in your own piece (reuse their ideas) in your own work. Read lots of exemplar essays. Here are some sentence examples:

It was a queer, sultry summer (nice opening sets a scene)
New York was bad enough. By nine in the morning the fake, country-wet
freshness that somehow seeped in overnight evaporated like the tail end of a sweet
dream. Mirage-gray at the bottom of their granite canyons, the hot streets wavered in the
sun, the car tops sizzled and glittered, and the dry, cindery dust blew into my eyes and
down my throat.

a white plastic sunglasses case with colored shells and sequins and a green plastic starfish
her head and blue eyes like transparent agate marbles, hard and polished and just about
indestructible, and a mouth set in a sort of perpetual sneer. I don't mean a nasty sneer, but
an amused, mysterious sneer, as if all the people around her were pretty silly

Here is an excerpt from my favourite novel take note of the language used here.
For the language analysis part learn the names of lots of literary techniques and their functions just analyse the structure and literary forms used in the texts. You won't need all that there is but have a look at this: https://literarydevices.net
feel free to pm me if you need more help, I got a 9 in English language.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending