The Student Room Group

MoD - DE&S 2021 Graduate Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by User16583929
Sorry to hear that! :frown: there’s a grad job out there for everyone, just gotta keep going! This one was my 10th interview and many applications, but it’ll all pay off

Reply 41
Original post by IAmElephant
People definitely do drop out, the reserve list is there for a reason, you certainly do still have a chance (depending on how high on the list you are).

Cant send PMS, but I got 5,5,4,3.So the same score but different order. So I'm assuming I'm towards the bottom of the reserve list.
Original post by damnson
Cant send PMS, but I got 5,5,4,3.So the same score but different order. So I'm assuming I'm towards the bottom of the reserve list.

Ah I see, thanks, I would still try to stay positive. Act as though you haven't got it and if the situation changes and you get an offer, you can treat it as a pleasant surprise
Original post by damnson
my email says:
"You have reached the required standard, but we are unable to offer you a job immediately. We have placed you on a reserve list which future appointments may be made. The reserve list for the DE&S/SDA Engineering Graduate Scheme will expire on 12 November 2021 and if we are able to offer you a role before this date we will contact you again."
Anyone heard of people getting an offer after being placed on the reserve list? It might as well be a rejection, I doubt people will drop out by November.

I have read on previous student room forums that people have had offers after this email. Might need some research, but it's there somewhere. They do take their time to make offers so could be likely that someones already accepted an offer somewhere else. Plus if someone doesn't pass their pre employment checks. I'd probably not rely on the offer, but wouldn't take it as a no.

My placement year I was on the reserve list for a few companies and they all offered me a position! So don't give up!
Reply 44
Original post by IAmElephant
Ah I see, thanks, I would still try to stay positive. Act as though you haven't got it and if the situation changes and you get an offer, you can treat it as a pleasant surprise

Yeah definitely. Its a shame that they cut down on the number of positions when there's so many more applicants as well. Looks like 2019/2020/2021 grads will be competing for the same roles. Covid has hit engineering pretty hard.
I got a provisional

I have read on previous student room forums that people have had offers after this email. Might need some research, but it's there somewhere. They do take their time to make offers so could be likely that someones already accepted an offer somewhere else. Plus if someone doesn't pass their pre employment checks. I'd probably not rely on the offer, but wouldn't take it as a no.

My placement year I was on the reserve list for a few companies and they all offered me a position! So don't give up!

I got a provisional offer for the engineering scheme today. I want to do something between now and the time I will be employed which will render me somewhat inaccessible (phone only). How many more things did you have to fill out? I've already done reference form, bank, pension and identity information. Do they ask for anything else later on?
Original post by angryboi
I got a provisional

I got a provisional offer for the engineering scheme today. I want to do something between now and the time I will be employed which will render me somewhat inaccessible (phone only). How many more things did you have to fill out? I've already done reference form, bank, pension and identity information. Do they ask for anything else later on?

Congrats!
So this is just my personal experience and view with some info from the website. But think there might be some follow up questions and signing of formal contract over the next few months. The link below shows the steps of pre employment, including health checks etc, but they’ll deffo be asking for more paperwork for the security clearance. I feel they need to know address history and what countries you’ve visited etc. Unless you’ve got anyone who can fill the information out for you, I’m not 100% sure sorry! I’ve read the process is a couple of months this security clearance, and feel they’ll def be asking more than what we’ve supplied. I’ve got a couple weeks further in the process then you are at at the moment and haven’t been asked for anything yet, but it’s coming as they work their way through. Hope this helps!

https://des.mod.uk/on-boarding/process/
Amazing, that’s really cool! I’ve also been offered the project professional role. Interviews have all finished now, but guess it’s just the pre employment checks. If you log into your application account, what stage is your application at? Mine says pre employment checks, then in review it says checking criminal history at the moment, but hasn’t moved from that yet. Well done on getting the position!

Hello, what is your application saying now? Mine is still on pre-employment checks?
Original post by truttps
Hello, what is your application saying now? Mine is still on pre-employment checks?

Hi, yeah mines still on the same :s-smilie: Wish they’d kinda give a few more updates along the way of what’s happening exactly or what they’re waiting for. When clicking review mine says:
Great news, you've accepted your provisional offer and your pre-employment checks are underway.

We are still checking:

whether you have any convictions

We will send an email notification to you once all pre-employment checks are complete.

but I’m unsure how accurate that is. Doesn’t mention anything about waiting for my references or anything. Think it’s 4 weeks this week since accepted, so who knows!
Hey all. I have a provisional offer for project professional and haven’t heard anything since emailing over ID docs and the forms we were sent.

Does anyone know the projected start date? :-)
Original post by acorn332
Hey all. I have a provisional offer for project professional and haven’t heard anything since emailing over ID docs and the forms we were sent.

Does anyone know the projected start date? :-)

Congratulations on the offer!

I believe it is late august/September.

Are people relocating for the scheme or from the area? Sounds like we will be allowed to work remotely 2 days a week minimum.
Original post by truttps

Are people relocating for the scheme or from the area? Sounds like we will be allowed to work remotely 2 days a week minimum.

Oh really? I didn’t know that was the case about home working. Where did you find this out if you don’t mind me asking?
Oh really? I didn’t know that was the case about home working. Where did you find this out if you don’t mind me asking?

I was told that by a friend of a friend who’s on the engineering scheme, may not be true but in my interview they mentioned they’re moving away from the ‘9-5 sitting in a cubicle all day’ style and torward flexible working.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by truttps
I was told that by a friend of a friend who’s on the engineering scheme, may not be true but in my interview they mentioned they’re moving away from the ‘9-5 sitting in a cubicle all day’ style and torward flexible working.

They quite proudly show that off on the benefits for working with them page, not specifically the two day from home thing. Though personally, if you want to get anywhere I don't see anything other than 9-5 working.
Is anyone else a current civil servant? I’m an EO on a higher salary than the grad scheme was advertised at which I believe was 24,750 - do you think there is scope to negotiate this given that I’m transferring within the civil service and would be transferring to a pay decrease?
Original post by truttps

I’m based in Bristol so won’t be relocating. 👍
Is anyone else a current civil servant? I’m an EO on a higher salary than the grad scheme was advertised at which I believe was 24,750 - do you think there is scope to negotiate this given that I’m transferring within the civil service and would be transferring to a pay decrease?

I’m not a current employee but from what I’ve read on the internet. There’s two ranges on the jobs in civil service, this one is minimum 24750 and the upper range might be say 28000, if your current employment is more than 28000 then they’ll employ you at the 28000 upper range. If it’s between those figures, they’ll match it. A quick google might be able to find what the band’s upper figure is. It’s something you’ll need to let them know after pre employment. That’s what I’ve read anyway, but dunno if graduate jobs are exempt from this. Hope it helps!
I’m based in Bristol so won’t be relocating. 👍

Yeah I’m the same, based in Bristol currently. There’s plenty of accommodation around the MoD, I’d look closer as the parking at the MoD can be a bit of a problem.
I’m not a current employee but from what I’ve read on the internet. There’s two ranges on the jobs in civil service, this one is minimum 24750 and the upper range might be say 28000, if your current employment is more than 28000 then they’ll employ you at the 28000 upper range. If it’s between those figures, they’ll match it. A quick google might be able to find what the band’s upper figure is. It’s something you’ll need to let them know after pre employment. That’s what I’ve read anyway, but dunno if graduate jobs are exempt from this. Hope it helps!

Do you think this is the same situation for people moving from the private sector? My current salary is above £28k and so I was thinking of negotiating a pay rise, but I was under the impression that I can’t with public sector schemes.
Original post by pts26
Do you think this is the same situation for people moving from the private sector? My current salary is above £28k and so I was thinking of negotiating a pay rise, but I was under the impression that I can’t with public sector schemes.

Might be different for private sector. I imagine there’s very little play with salary negotiations in public sector. Personally, I won’t be negotiating, just because I know how hard it is to get a graduate job and the amount of people who’d be grateful to be in my position. But maybe I imagine this is a conversation that might be worth having closer to the start date. But let me know what you end up doing!

Quick Reply

Latest