The Student Room Group

Switching from Law to Biology?

Hi, I'm currently studying Law at a top 10 uni and I've been considering switching to Biology - I currently have an offer from Imperial. I'm not really sure if I'd enjoy studying Biology as much as I think I would though, because I assume it would be quite different from A-levels? Furthermore, the job prospects for a Biology degree don't seem to quite be as "glamorous" as that of a Law degree - could anyone offer some insight or advice? Thanks :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Is there a reason why you want to switch to biology if you don’t mind me asking
Original post by Yazomi
Is there a reason why you want to switch to biology if you don’t mind me asking

I don't really enjoy Law all too much, I've always been more of a science person (with biology being my favourite science); I did 3 science/maths subjects at A-levels and all my extracurriculars were science-related. Law was really a last-minute decision and I've kinda come to realise that I miss science, though maybe it's just because I've become quite disillusioned with the lack of certainty/objectivity in a social science/humanities subject like Law.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by helpapplication9
I don't really enjoy Law all too much, I've always been more of a science person (with biology being my favourite science); I did 3 science/maths subjects at A-levels and all my extracurriculars were science-related. Law was really a last-minute decision and I've kinda come to realise that I miss science, though maybe it's just because I've become quite disillusioned with the lack of certainty/objectivity in a social science/humanities subject like Law.

Oh wow I see. I can’t give too much advice since I haven’t started my course yet but I’m surprised you chose a law route whilst having sciency alevels
Original post by helpapplication9
Hi, I'm currently studying Law at a top 10 uni and I've been considering switching to Biology - I currently have an offer from Imperial. I'm not really sure if I'd enjoy studying Biology as much as I think I would though, because I assume it would be quite different from A-levels? Furthermore, the job prospects for a Biology degree don't seem to quite be as "glamorous" as that of a Law degree - could anyone offer some insight or advice? Thanks :smile:

Hi,

I'm a current biology student at The University of Sheffield so can offer my experience to help guide you. Your lectures in first year will provide you with a lot of information on a broad range of topics ranging from animal behaviour to plant physiolgy, evolution, and more. In later years, you will still have lectures but much more of your learning and understanding comes from independent reading of scientific papers on a given topic or "accessing the primary scientific literature".

Your course will also likely involve a research project [which can usually be carried out in a lab, in the field, or as a desk-based project]. The Sheffield course gives students the option to go on a field course in third year to Portugal, Borneo, Wales, or the Peak District, so that may be something that interests you.

Before accepting an offer from a university, I would recommend having a look at the modules they offer to ensure that they align with you interests. Do you know what areas of biology you might want to go into?

Daniel
Third Year
Biology with a Year Abroad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending