The Student Room Group

Stuck in the Middle for Job Searching...Advice???

I completed 3 internships to get experience.

So I've been applying to full time work in the Creative industry.
I get mostly rejections because "my work is not strong enough" or "there are other candidates who are stronger".

Whilst applying to full time work I've also been applying to other internships. In which I've also been rejected loads of times. Sometimes I feel, they could view my work as "overly qualified" in doing an internship, so thats why I get rejected.

I'm basically stuck in the middle I don't get accepted for a job because there are stronger candidates and I don't get accepted for internships because they could feel my work is too "overly qualified".

I have 7 projects in my portfolio and I applied to over 30 jobs so far, and I don't get any replies.

Do you have any good advice of what to do???
Thank you & Be Kind
Every job is ****.

Just get one of some kind and build a career from there.

The mere fact youre busting your ass to get a job youll almost certainly hate within 6 months shows itll be ****.
This might sound like I’m up my own arse here but hear me out and hope this brings you consolation.

I’ve got a great degree in a really useful subject and for years have heard that this industry has a deficit of people. I literally could not be in a better position than I actually am. YET

I’ve been applying for so many jobs 80+ since November and nothing. The odd interview here and there but all unsuccessful.

I know that If my degree (which is in demand and I have a good one) is attractive to employers but the candidate is not at the moment, but it’s not down to the person, it’s down to the pandemic.

If job hunting is demoralising (which it is). Save your energy for a few months because Honestly nobody is hiring. You’ll only break yourself over a situation you can’t control. It will pick up, just in time
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by 3Engineer141592
This might sound like I’m up my own arse here but hear me out and hope this brings you consolation.

I’ve got a great degree in a really useful subject and for years have heard that this industry has a deficit of people. I literally could not be in a better position than I actually am. YET

I’ve been applying for so many jobs 80+ since November and nothing. The odd interview here and there but all unsuccessful.

I know that If my degree (which is in demand and I have a good one) is attractive to employers but the candidate is not at the moment, but it’s not down to the person, it’s down to the pandemic.

If job hunting is demoralising (which it is). Save your energy for a few months because Honestly nobody is hiring. You’ll only break yourself over a situation you can’t control. It will pick up, just in time

Thank you
Original post by The_Exile
Every job is ****.

Just get one of some kind and build a career from there.

The mere fact youre busting your ass to get a job youll almost certainly hate within 6 months shows itll be ****.

Thank you
Kinda similar here. Get interviews, but told there was a stronger person against me, with work experience. Not sure its all pandemic, though some companies want people with experience. Best to get feedback from interview.
Original post by DS76
I completed 3 internships to get experience.

So I've been applying to full time work in the Creative industry.
I get mostly rejections because "my work is not strong enough" or "there are other candidates who are stronger".

Whilst applying to full time work I've also been applying to other internships. In which I've also been rejected loads of times. Sometimes I feel, they could view my work as "overly qualified" in doing an internship, so thats why I get rejected.

I'm basically stuck in the middle I don't get accepted for a job because there are stronger candidates and I don't get accepted for internships because they could feel my work is too "overly qualified".

I have 7 projects in my portfolio and I applied to over 30 jobs so far, and I don't get any replies.

Do you have any good advice of what to do???
Thank you & Be Kind

For what sort of companies are you applying? Big businesses in big cities or small places in, uh, smaller cities?

I'm inclined to think your experience is good enough for a job so it seems competition is your biggest issue. Assuming you have a portfolio, one idea might be to send it over to local businesses/staff asking for their advice on how to improve it. Of course you don't want to actually improve it but asking for advice might yield something positive in terms of opportunity.

I'd say the quickest way to network is to stroke somebody's ego (in a meaningful way).
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending