The Student Room Group

gcse maths requirement grade for university

Hi! i want to take business studies at university, im currently in y12 and im taking business, english lit and psychology. ive been looking around for universities but majority need a 6 or a 7 in maths at gcse and i only got a 5 since i did foundation. Will it be possible to still get into the course? this is the only thing i want to do if i can’t then i have no other plans :frown:
Original post by ros_ieex
Hi! i want to take business studies at university, im currently in y12 and im taking business, english lit and psychology. ive been looking around for universities but majority need a 6 or a 7 in maths at gcse and i only got a 5 since i did foundation. Will it be possible to still get into the course? this is the only thing i want to do if i can’t then i have no other plans :frown:

Unis tend to be quite hard-line on fundamental GCSE requirements. One option is that you resit your Maths. Alternatively, apply only to unis that require a 5, or ask unis if they might be willing to ease their requirements for you.
Can you not just resit the paper next year - you would only need to revise what you already know and learn a little of the higher content to get a better grade. Also, if you are resitting then pick a mix of universities because one which requires a higher grade may accept with a resit and be more flexible on results day if you don't achieve the grade, but then if they decide to reject on that basis have an insurance choice that will accept with a 5?
Original post by ageshallnot
ask unis if they might be willing to ease their requirements for you.

Pointless.
Unis are strict about GCSE grades - its about having the right Maths skills/aptitude to successfully complete the course, its not an optional extra. One the fastest way to get your application rejected is to apply for a Uni course without the required GCSE grades,
Original post by ros_ieex

Plenty of Unis do not require GCSE Maths 6 for Business courses - here are some examples :
Sussex (grade 4) https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/business-and-management-studies-bsc
Liverpool (grade 5) https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/business-management-ba-hons/overview/
Original post by McGinger
Pointless.
Unis are strict about GCSE grades - its about having the right Maths skills/aptitude to successfully complete the course, its not an optional extra. One the fastest way to get your application rejected is to apply for a Uni course without the required GCSE grades,

Not necessarily. I've seen cases on here in which other aspects of an application have made up for a slightly inadequate GCSE grade. Not many, I grant you, but a few.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending