The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do

I'm really really really worried. My mom's heart stopped a few days ago but it's started funtioning again, she's still alive but I'm still so scared. During a Tuesday morning, my dad woke me up to say that he's gonna take my mom to urgent care, and after that he called my friend's mom and that's the minute I knew something was wrong. I acted completely calm and tough but I was really worried. My mom came back home today, and she looks really sick and my heart rate went up a lot, I wanted to start crying. I kept it in and maintened calm but I really wanted to be anwhere but the place I'm in now. Just to be clear I am 12 years old, so I've never experienced anything so sudden. It really really hurts and I don't know what to do.
Hiyah young man/lady,

Please please try to think positive - I see you are up even earlier than I [and I am a v early bird :colondollar:] - look after yourself!

I see exactly where you are coming from and fully understand that this is a very frightening experience for you. But please convince yourself that worrying will not help - if your mum is unwell, we need to look after her and you cannot do that if you yourself fall ill, yeah? So stop worrying and brace yourself. Things will fall into place - it's the law of nature.

If you are only twelve, your mum is probably NOT very old, so chances are her "heart problem" is not as bad as it might have sounded at the time. Also, if, as it sounds like from what you say, your dad took her to hospital rather than calling an ambulance, chances are her heart had not actually stopped [called cardiac arrest] but that it was more likely something else, probably less drastic. [do you know if your dad had to give her a "kiss of life"?]

Speak to an adult you get on well with and have confidence in [first person that comes to mind is your dad] and openly tell him/her how you feel and how worried you are, and I am sure he/she will be able to reassure you and put your mind at rest.

Finally are you in UK? The NHS is full of wonderful, well-organized, caring and highly competent individuals [the best in the world actually] so have faith in the doctors/nurses/other staff looking after her - rest assured that they will go out of their way to sort her problem.

Take care, take it easy & be safe!
M

, please add anything I have missed to help this youngster.
Reply 2
They haven't told me much actually, I'm getting the information from my friend. All I was told directly from my dad was, "You're mother is sick, I called 911, we are going the hospital. And this happening right now, but it is 4 am right now where I live. This time I'm actually going to go to the hospital instead of staying at a friends house.
Original post by Anonymous
They haven't told me much actually, I'm getting the information from my friend. All I was told directly from my dad was, "You're mother is sick, I called 911, we are going the hospital. And this happening right now, but it is 4 am right now where I live. This time I'm actually going to go to the hospital instead of staying at a friends house.

Be honest and let ur dad (do u have any siblings?) know how u feel

I’m sorry that ur mums in this situation and what u seem to be feeling is completely normal

There’s not much u can do except be brave and take care of urself and ur family (eg asking ur dad if he wants to eat smth and buying smth from the cafe/vending machine)

I’m sure other people will have some more useful comments soon and I hope ur mum can get better soon xxx

@becausethenight
@GANFYD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending