The Student Room Group

Choosing a city for uni?

Hi :smile: I'm trying to pick which university to put as my firm choice, it's between Manchester and London. I've visited both cities but I feel rather indifferent about it, and whichever one I lean towards I suddenly begin to miss the other one, if that makes sense? I don't think I've spent enough time in each city (and I haven't really got the time to visit again now) so pls comment your opinions below on these 2 cities! These are my pros and cons so far:
London
Pros: More exciting city, more beautiful, the uni has a slightly better reputation (but for my course, there really isn't much in it), more things to do, I think it would be a cool thing to say you've done for the experience. Whenever I consider rejecting London for Manchester I feel a pang of FOMO, I think this may be due to the fact its the capital city & the better university on paper.
Cons: Very expensive, probably wouldn't be able to afford half of the cool stuff on a student budget, uni halls & housing will be much more spread out, not really a campus so less of a 'community' feel, more tourists so city is less catered to students? I would probably have to move after I graduate due to cost, which would mean uprooting any friendships I've made. Also from the students I've spoken to via group chats & open days, the people feel a little less down-to-earth than the people in Manchester. Everything feels a bit performative if that makes sense? Basically I'm not sure if I'm gonna fit in so well.

Manchester
Pros: Cheaper, can afford much nicer lifestyle here for the same amount of money in London. Has a campus and 'community' feel to it, apparently the student life is quite good (but I don't really know for sure lol), still quite a big cities so lots of opportunities, smaller population so public transport should be less crammed than in London.
Cons: I feel like I might regret giving up the opportunity to live in London. Manchester is cool but it just doesn't feel as exciting, buildings don't look as pretty, and idk it felt kinda ugly- it's petty, I know, but all I've been able to do for the past months is to walk around the outside due to Covid. The uni has a very slightly lower reputation than the one in London.

I'm trying not to get caught up over the prestige part about the unis, I feel like everyone always recommends whichever is the best on paper haha. I know if money didn't come into it, London would definitely look like the better choice. But unfortunately money DOES play a big factor, and I don't want to end up unhappy and paying extreme rent. Manchester feels like the safer option, it has less risks but also less rewards. London would be a massive risk but it could also be amazing, I'm just worried that if I choose Manchester then I'll constantly be thinking 'what if' about London :frown: Honestly, I think I have a naive view of what it would be like to live in London, and once the novelty wears off and I've tried all the free things once, it won't be as good. Plus in my second and third years I definitely wouldn't be living anywhere near the city centre, and probably wouldn't have the money& time to go to all this study anyway...

LOL someone help me plz I'm supposed to be entering my choices on UCAS track this weekend
I'm a Londoner and I love London to bits, but it sounds like your heart and budget are more inclined to Manchester - which is an amazing uni! You can always get a graduate job or do an internship during/after uni in London if you wanna sample the London life in a more affordable way later on :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm a Londoner and I love London to bits, but it sounds like your heart and budget are more inclined to Manchester - which is an amazing uni! You can always get a graduate job or do an internship during/after uni in London if you wanna sample the London life in a more affordable way later on :biggrin:

Ahh you don't think I'll regret it then? I loved the campus at Manchester because of the green spaces and how it was like a separate area for students (they wouldn't let me walk around the London one!) but when I compare the two cities London just looks so pretty :frown: I know its not just about the ~aesthetic~ and maybe I don't know Manchester well enough to judge... its hard giving up the capital city y'know?

On the plus side I think my parents would eb happier with me going to Manchester cuz of the rent hahaha
Original post by Anonymous
Ahh you don't think I'll regret it then? I loved the campus at Manchester because of the green spaces and how it was like a separate area for students (they wouldn't let me walk around the London one!) but when I compare the two cities London just looks so pretty :frown: I know its not just about the ~aesthetic~ and maybe I don't know Manchester well enough to judge... its hard giving up the capital city y'know?

On the plus side I think my parents would eb happier with me going to Manchester cuz of the rent hahaha

I mean you might have FOMO the first week or so but after that, you'd be far too busy saving money and enjoying Manchester to notice/care about London :tongue: Like I said, I love London but it's ****ing expensive if you don't already live here tbh :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending