The Student Room Group

preparing for a level , opinions please

i am starting my AS courses after 2 weeks i chose chemistry , biology , maths and arabic as a first language , is there anything specific i should do or prepare , give me any advice or talk to me about your experience , is there anything i should avoid doing / is there something specific i should do for a certain subject of those , give me your DO's and DON'T'S .
if you could go back and give your younger self an advice (pre A levels) what would it be ?
Original post by boklibody
i am starting my AS courses after 2 weeks i chose chemistry , biology , maths and arabic as a first language , is there anything specific i should do or prepare , give me any advice or talk to me about your experience , is there anything i should avoid doing / is there something specific i should do for a certain subject of those , give me your DO's and DON'T'S .
if you could go back and give your younger self an advice (pre A levels) what would it be ?

Honestly, I wish that I was a lot more focused on making revision material in both chem and bio. I feel like it's important to make revision materials as you go along because when it comes to revision it should mainly be about the recall and not making revision material ( which I ended up spending most of my time doing near my exams). So I would advise that you start making eg flash cards as soon as possible perhaps at the end of each week or after your lessons etc. I would also advise (mainly for chem) to try to practice the basic maths/ get good at it because that maths gets ALOT harder at end of yr12 and in yr13. Obviously, since you do maths you might be ok with it, but it does get hard so you just need to practice. Most of the biology is just being able to learn the keywords and regurgitate as much of your knowledge on something as you can. There is a lot of content for biology and the mark scheme is REALLY specific so you need to be able to know keywords so that you can get the marks, I would recommend making some sort of word bank to learn all the key words, it is important to know them because of the mark scheme. Another tip I would give is to not stress out soo much, A levels are hard and daunting but honestly, once you understand concepts and go over them it becomes a lot easier. Even if you don't get the grade you want in as level just set aside your summer to really get back on track to get the grades you need!
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest