The Student Room Group

Alevel chemistry or english lit??????? HELP

okay so iv choosen my three alevels that i defo wanna do. Bio, philosophy and french and i also want to do a fourth: chem or english lit.
I know that chemistry will be really good to do with biology but im rlly intrested in english lit too.
the grades that i get in august will probs be a determining factor but yeh, can i have your thoughts.
(edited 2 years ago)
Do you know what you wanna do post a levels
Original post by wizkid44
Do you know what you wanna do post a levels

not really. Along the lines of philosophy w/ language at uni or medicine and philosophy so its gonna be between those two fields later anyway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 16mahnoorfazal
not really. Along the lines of philosophy w/ language at uni or medicine and philosophy so its gonna be between those two fields later anyway.

To keep medicine as a possibility, you would need to take chemistry A level. Will you be taking four subjects to start with or have to choose three?
Original post by cefox
To keep medicine as a possibility, you would need to take chemistry A level. Will you be taking four subjects to start with or have to choose three?

im gonna be taking 4 to start with. Also in terms of medicine its more towards the psychology side and iv seen some uni courses that accept just bio for psychology courses but doing chemistry would really just cement it right.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cefox

Sorry, I have just read your original post again. I’d say chemistry for the fourth then to keep door into medicine open
Original post by cefox
Sorry, I have just read your original post again. I’d say chemistry for the fourth then to keep door into medicine open

kay thankyou, i'll keep that in mind when deciding
Reply 7
Original post by 16mahnoorfazal
kay thankyou, i'll keep that in mind when deciding

no problem...
all the best with your choices
Reply 8
I agree with the person above that chemistry is 99% needed for medicine courses. Even if you don't absolutely need it for a course, it will be very helpful to have. And you're right that it goes well with biology - I'm doing biology, chemistry and english lit and the chemistry has helped me a lot in bio, especially the organic modules. It gives you a much better background of chemistry/biochemistry to work from, which makes it easier to learn as you're not having to memorise things that seem to have no intuition behind them. I won't lie and say that chemistry's easy, though - to sum it up there's a lot of content and lots of different kinds of questions from rote memorisation to application of knowledge.

English lit, though, is great, although you would probably be sacrificing the medicine option. I won't directly say that it's easier than chemistry - that depends on what subject you prefer, ultimately - but there's definitely less content to remember, and if you enjoy like me it's just really goddamn fun! The main issue when comparing it with chemistry is that you don't need it for philosophy in anything like the way you need chemistry for medicine. With that in mind I'd probably choose chemistry, but don't rule out english lit - if you decide against medicine and philosophy, consider it!
Original post by Jaegis
I agree with the person above that chemistry is 99% needed for medicine courses. Even if you don't absolutely need it for a course, it will be very helpful to have. And you're right that it goes well with biology - I'm doing biology, chemistry and english lit and the chemistry has helped me a lot in bio, especially the organic modules. It gives you a much better background of chemistry/biochemistry to work from, which makes it easier to learn as you're not having to memorise things that seem to have no intuition behind them. I won't lie and say that chemistry's easy, though - to sum it up there's a lot of content and lots of different kinds of questions from rote memorisation to application of knowledge.

English lit, though, is great, although you would probably be sacrificing the medicine option. I won't directly say that it's easier than chemistry - that depends on what subject you prefer, ultimately - but there's definitely less content to remember, and if you enjoy like me it's just really goddamn fun! The main issue when comparing it with chemistry is that you don't need it for philosophy in anything like the way you need chemistry for medicine. With that in mind I'd probably choose chemistry, but don't rule out english lit - if you decide against medicine and philosophy, consider it!

thanks alot, that clears things up. it really is just deciding whether i want to do medicine or not

Quick Reply

Latest