The Student Room Group

Scholarships for low income students

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships for low income household students like me? I'm a White British home student and the only scholarships my uni offers are for bame, international or medic students. I've heard about foundations offering scholarships but most of the ones that I have found only offer a few scholarships every year or have already stopped accepting applications.
I'm a bit new to the whole process and I'm very late to all of this as I will be starting this September! Any help will be much appreciated :smile: Thanks!!!
which university?
Original post by Caz1234567
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships for low income household students like me? I'm a White British home student and the only scholarships my uni offers are for bame, international or medic students. I've heard about foundations offering scholarships but most of the ones that I have found only offer a few scholarships every year or have already stopped accepting applications.
I'm a bit new to the whole process and I'm very late to all of this as I will be starting this September! Any help will be much appreciated :smile: Thanks!!!

Best off checking university websites.

You are really looking for bursaries/grants; scholarships are generally an award for academic merit and tend to be very limited for undergraduate studies.

The system doesn't really cater to significant amounts of bursaries due to the way maintenance loan is distributed based on family income, from what ive seen some universities offer cash bursaries based on income but its generally a few hundred pounds.

Most students end up having to take the maximum maintenance loan and supplement this with a holiday job or part-time work.
Cambridge certainly offers bursaries:

"The Cambridge Bursary Scheme offers Home fee status students non-repayable Bursaries of up to £10,500 over three years or £14,000 over four years"
I don't know if this applies to the university you want to attend to but I am also a low income student and recently got a bursary from Warwick. I didn't apply but got a random email saying that I got a bursary. I think for low income students, universities will hand out bursaries based on your parents income when you apply for student finance. My bursary was £1500 for the first year.
Have a look at bursaries and scholarships we have on offer at the RAU: https://www.rau.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/funding-your-time-at-university/bursaries-awards-scholarships Thanks! Ksenia (WP Manager)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending