The Student Room Group

What Medical Schools take GCSEs in to account a lot?

Hi everyone,
I’ve just finished year 11 and I would love to do medicine, i’ve started some virtual work experience (i’m still 15 so can’t get anything real yet and covid is messing things up). I think I will have really strong grades in my GCSEs and i’m hoping a levels too. My question is what universities heavily focus on GCSE grades? I think Cardiff and Birmingham do? I have looked at the UCAT and it seems like something I would not be good at, so I want to find universities that don’t look at that as much.
Thanks.
Original post by maddyloveridge2
Hi everyone,
I’ve just finished year 11 and I would love to do medicine, i’ve started some virtual work experience (i’m still 15 so can’t get anything real yet and covid is messing things up). I think I will have really strong grades in my GCSEs and i’m hoping a levels too. My question is what universities heavily focus on GCSE grades? I think Cardiff and Birmingham do? I have looked at the UCAT and it seems like something I would not be good at, so I want to find universities that don’t look at that as much.
Thanks.

I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere on tsr but if not, looking at the medic portal should help! Leicester also look at GCSEs. I wouldn't rule out the UCAT yet as you're still a year away and you can improve a lot with practice (although I would recommend getting familiar with the questions, I wouldn't start to practice until 6-8 wks prior).
Original post by maddyloveridge2
Hi everyone,
Thanks.

:hi:
There is a page on how med schools were using GCSEs for 2021 entry here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements, but bear in mind it has already changed a bit for 2022, and may be different when you apply :smile:

In general, Oxford, Cardiff, Leeds, Edinburgh and Liverpool are the very GCSE heavy unis where you will need 9 8/9s to stand any chance of interview, on top of UCAT or BMAT. Other universities do consider GSCEs in selection, but not all, and you can make up for weaker GCSEs (or in your case, perhaps a weaker UCAT).

There is also a thread for 2023 applicants here which may help you https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6902612
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending