The Student Room Group

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

Poll

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

There’s been a lot of talk around teacher assessed grades (TAG’s) and the potential impact they could have on you as students. How are you feeling about this?

Over 50% of you in a recent poll said you didn’t feel TAG’s were fair due to the system in place that produces them. Do you think that the process being unfair will impact you in the future?

Maybe you’re worried about the impact it may have on your uni application through grade inflation, or what a potential employer will think when they see you achieved your grades in 2021 if grades are especially high this year. Maybe you’re not worried at all and you think that the way grades were assessed this year will actually be better for you?

Let us know your thoughts now!
I’m extremely worried about one grade that will impact my whole university place. Apart from that, I guess a lot of us are in the same boat when it comes to employment so hopefully it won’t make a massive difference on how an employer views us.
Original post by 5hyl33n
I’m extremely worried about one grade that will impact my whole university place. Apart from that, I guess a lot of us are in the same boat when it comes to employment so hopefully it won’t make a massive difference on how an employer views us.

I'm sorry to hear that - I really hope everything goes ok and you get your place :smile:

That's a good point, as having a lot of people in the same boat can make a difference! Thanks for your thoughts.
well ive done gcses so they dont matter to much.i trust my teachers that ill get decent grades.im not worrief at all
Original post by StrawberryDreams
There’s been a lot of talk around teacher assessed grades (TAG’s) and the potential impact they could have on you as students. How are you feeling about this?

Over 50% of you in a recent poll said you didn’t feel TAG’s were fair due to the system in place that produces them. Do you think that the process being unfair will impact you in the future?

Maybe you’re worried about the impact it may have on your uni application through grade inflation, or what a potential employer will think when they see you achieved your grades in 2021 if grades are especially high this year. Maybe you’re not worried at all and you think that the way grades were assessed this year will actually be better for you?

My GCSE's were always going to be very strong, but now that grades have been so inflated, the all 9s I worked so so hard for ( and would have gotten had i taken exams ) were lowered to give me 3 eights and 7 9s instead, and now everyone else has those grades. It sucks that the strongest area of my application has been reduced in value, even if it's still good
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey
I agree with this but I don’t think it’s because of TAGs it’s more because of the disrupted learning and feeling as if I’ve regressed this year and am no longer as confident as I once was.

I’m not worried about getting to university because even if you took my worst assessment from every subject I’d still meet my uni offer and I know that I deserve to get in.

I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams
Obviously I don’t know what I’ll get but i think there’s a possibility it will be higher than what I got in an exam. I’d much rather TAGs are realistic and I don’t have to deal with prejudice in the future than get 3 meaningless top grades.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
My GCSE's were always going to be very strong, but now that grades have been so inflated, the all 9s I worked so so hard for ( and would have gotten had i taken exams ) were lowered to give me 3 eights and 7 9s instead, and now everyone else has those grades. It sucks that the strongest area of my application has been reduced in value, even if it's still good

As someone who took GCSEs in 2019 it was disheartening last year when I saw my old schools results. I only got 4 9s but it was the second highest number in my school, last year there was at least half a dozen student who got 6 or more 9s. It made me feel like I hadn’t really achieved anything at all.
Original post by Hellllpppp
As someone who took GCSEs in 2019 it was disheartening last year when I saw my old schools results. I only got 4 9s but it was the second highest number in my school, last year there was at least half a dozen student who got 6 or more 9s. It made me feel like I hadn’t really achieved anything at all.

Dont worry about too much on the number of 9's. My eldest is one year older than you and she was the same boat last year and her gcses were similar. She came out with the grades she wanted for A'levels and was teacher given grades. As long as you know you worked hard in Alevel and did well in the tests, mocks, interim tests and participated in the lessons, then I'm sure you are going to fly :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
My youngest has just finished year 11, hopefully she gets the grades she needs to make it into sixth form. She tried so hard in biology and maths and needs a 6 in each to get in (for Biology, psychology and Geography Alevel). Biology we think she will be fine in but maths is borderline. Its annoying as yeah you use a bit of maths in biology; but your not going to use trig, or working out an shaded area outside of a circle placed in a square. I hope she does get the 6 fingers crossed, as she wants to go on to do zoology eventually.
I'm not worried at all. Not a fan of grade inflation, it's blatantly unrealistic.
Original post by StrawberryDreams

I’m scared everyone will get amazing grades and I will just be looked at as average, my maths teacher hinted a 6 too and that’s so sad to hear as other kids will defo get 7+ due to grade inflation, my school is so strict and unfair and unsympathetic
Just going to say for those who are expecting to attend university in September and are waiting on TAGs to come through, TSR is here for you. :heart:

Helpful users (many of whom are trained by UCAS) will be online to help anyone who needs it through the week of Results Day as well as before and after. Head to the applications, clearing and ucas forum if you have questions related to admission to university. :yy:
Reply 12
Hi, I just finished A-Level exams, and I wanted to know how lenient do you think teachers would be in giving out grades?
Original post by lelales
Hi, I just finished A-Level exams, and I wanted to know how lenient do you think teachers would be in giving out grades?
This depends on your school and what they have decided to do to assess your grade. Statistically, the figures show that Teacher Assessed grades are more likely to award you with a higher mark than ordinary standardised grades. But that is likely accounting for the fact that grading this year (like last year) does not follow a normal distribution model. So essentially, this year you're being graded for your performance alone, rather than being graded against the performance of everyone else.
Reply 14
Original post by 04MR17
This depends on your school and what they have decided to do to assess your grade. Statistically, the figures show that Teacher Assessed grades are more likely to award you with a higher mark than ordinary standardised grades. But that is likely accounting for the fact that grading this year (like last year) does not follow a normal distribution model. So essentially, this year you're being graded for your performance alone, rather than being graded against the performance of everyone else.

My school did two sets of exams essentially, and they said it's mainly based on individual performance. Due to my circumstances, I didn't do as well as expected. I have got an offer from Oxbridge, which stated I needed an A* in FM, but I don't think I got that. Do you think teachers would be more lenient in giving the A* if I got an A? My situation meant I couldn't study for any of my exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending