The Student Room Group

Importance of UCAS reference?

Hi, so I’m taking a brand new a level next year (AQA psychology) to supplement my other two but I’m not sure which service I should use.

So I can do psychology through one service and get learning materials etc and a predicted grade, but I won’t receive a reference which will cost £625 but can be paid in instalments over 12 months

Or I can do it through a more local service which will give me a reference and predicted grade, but no learning resources and that costs £755, however I’m not sure if that can be paid in instalments.

No matter which one I choose I will also be using a service called Uplearn which guarantees an A or A* or your money back with 98% who complete the course achieving that, and they satiate they have resources which cover exams, content etc and have many who learn just through that.

Ultimately what I’m wondering is am I better off going for the service which provides a reference? And if I went for the one that didn’t give me a reference, how detrimental would this be for me? I will be getting references from my old school also for my other two subjects and from my tutor. I want to to study law at a Russell group University if this helps. Apologies if this is a little confusing; I’m not entirely sure how references work tbh but I want to start the course ASAP so I can inform my old school about what is happening.
You must have a UCAS reference - it isnt an optional extra.
It isnt a deal-breaker but Unis will always scan it for extra information about you and your potential for Uni level study.

Normally applicants get theirs from their school or college, but for anyone outside conventional education this becomes more difficult. If you have another relevant person who could write you an academic reference there really is no need to pay a distance learning provider extra to do this. If you only left school a few years ago then contact the school and ask - I regularly do UCAS references for ex-students and this is normally straightforward. If you left school too long ago, then ask a friend/colleague who is a graduate and can comment on your academic potential - ie. they will know what qualities you have that will help you succeed at Uni.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
It isnt a deal-breaker but Unis will always scan it for extra information about you and your potential for Uni level study.

Normally applicants get theirs from their school or college, but for anyone outside conventional education this becomes more difficult. If you have another relevant person who could write you an academic reference there really is no need to pay a distance learning provider extra to do this. If you only left school a few years ago then contact the school and ask - I regularly do UCAS references for ex-students and this is normally straightforward. If you left school too long ago, then ask a friend/colleague who is a graduate and can comment on your academic potential - ie. they will know what qualities you have that will help you succeed at Uni.

Hi, I will be getting a reference from my old school for my other subjects, but as I'm taking Psychology from scratch outside of school they obviously don't have any reference information for that specific subject; do you think this will get held against me? and if so would I be better off going for the service which provides the reference and no content then sending that reference onto my old school to incorporate into the reference that they are already writing?
Original post by kzadboy7
Hi, I will be getting a reference from my old school for my other subjects, but as I'm taking Psychology from scratch outside of school they obviously don't have any reference information for that specific subject; do you think this will get held against me? and if so would I be better off going for the service which provides the reference and no content then sending that reference onto my old school to incorporate into the reference that they are already writing?

A reference from your online provider won't be much good as it'll need to be wrutten quite early in the course ...

Is there a good reason why you can't talke an additional A level through school?
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
A reference from your online provider won't be much good as it'll need to be wrutten quite early in the course ...

Is there a good reason why you can't talke an additional A level through school?

They just won't let me, plus I want to do the entire course in one year instead of over 2 so it doesn't fit their timetable regardless
They just won't let me, plus I want to do the entire course in one year instead of over 2 so it doesn't fit their timetable regardless

I have to query why they won't let you. Are you dropping something? Do they think you can't cope with a full A level in a year?

I'm concerned as to why you can't attend Y12 and Y13 lessons ...
Hi, I will be getting a reference from my old school for my other subjects, but as I'm taking Psychology from scratch outside of school they obviously don't have any reference information for that specific subject;

Tell them you are doing the extra A level and they will cover that in your reference - ie. self study, should get a good grade etc etc.
Original post by McGinger

You don't need a UCAS reference to apply, although most universities would probably not consider you without one.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Theloniouss
You don't need a UCAS reference to apply, although most universities would probably not consider you without one.

All that will do is hold up your application while each Uni asks you to organise one - its pointless applying without one.
That 'no reference' facility is only there so that people can put in a from-scratch Clearing application as quickly as possible - ie. if a Uni tells you they don't need a reference.
Reply 9
Original post by Muttley79
I have to query why they won't let you. Are you dropping something? Do they think you can't cope with a full A level in a year?

I'm concerned as to why you can't attend Y12 and Y13 lessons ...

I think they just don't allow A levels to be sat in one year; they probably would've let me if I did it over 2 years.

Quick Reply

Latest