The Student Room Group

UCAS reference didn't include my predicted grades

I'm applying independently through UCAS to transfer universities (into first year) and my referee didn't include my predicted grades. I'm currently stressing as that is what would be needed right? How would I be able to add these or would I need a new reference?
Original post by yazzyboots
I'm applying independently through UCAS to transfer universities (into first year) and my referee didn't include my predicted grades. I'm currently stressing as that is what would be needed right? How would I be able to add these or would I need a new reference?

Predicted grades for what qualification? If you mean for A levels, BTECs, etc. then you must have already received actual grades for those - as your at uni.

Or do you mean predictions for whatever year you're in now at uni? Are you saying that you listed your time at uni in the qualification section on your UCAS form with a grade of "pending", and your referee just left it like that? Perhaps, given that you've only been there for three months, and have likely take very few (if any) uni exams yet, they didn't feel in a position to make a prediction.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Predicted grades for what qualification? If you mean for A levels, BTECs, etc. then you must have already received actual grades for those - as your at uni.

Or do you mean predictions for whatever year you're in now at uni? Are you saying that you listed your time at uni in the qualification section on your UCAS form with a grade of "pending", and your referee just left it like that? Perhaps, given that you've only been there for three months, and have likely take very few (if any) uni exams yet, they didn't feel in a position to make a prediction.

Yes I mean predicted grades for my Uni modules, so I'm unsure whether to submit it like that. But I've contacted all of my choices about the fact that my predicted grades weren't' included, just waiting for a response. We have done a few exams already but they don't make up for the whole grade.
Was your referee willing to provide these predictions?

If so, they'll need to email them to your choices directly. From a uni email address would be best. Don't forget to have them include your UCAS ID.

If not, this is fairly normal as they won't have known you for that long. Unis are used to considering applicants without predictions.
Reply 4
They said that they couldn't provide references this early because our final module exams are in January and we won't receive results until much later than that. Would not sending predicted grades affect my chances of being accepted somewhere else? I really do not like my current institution and I need to move somewhere else for my own sake.

Hi Yazzyboots,

Don't worry too much about this, universities shouldn't be expecting predicted grades from a reference regarding a transfer, as they aren't allowed to write claims that can't be substantiated. Applying to university straight from A levels, BTECs etc is a little different to transferring universities.

You will need to provide the grades you have received so far on UCAS for each module you have received a grade for. It's also important to consider whether your grades match the course’s entry requirements in the university you’re interested in. If your grades are lower than the entry requirements, speak to the university’s admissions team to see if they will still consider your application.

It's important to note that some competitive courses will not allow you to transfer midway through the program and you will have to reapply as a fresh applicant.

I hope this puts you at ease a little.

Rosie (Sheffield Hallam Rep).
Reply 6
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi Yazzyboots,

Don't worry too much about this, universities shouldn't be expecting predicted grades from a reference regarding a transfer, as they aren't allowed to write claims that can't be substantiated. Applying to university straight from A levels, BTECs etc is a little different to transferring universities.

You will need to provide the grades you have received so far on UCAS for each module you have received a grade for. It's also important to consider whether your grades match the course’s entry requirements in the university you’re interested in. If your grades are lower than the entry requirements, speak to the university’s admissions team to see if they will still consider your application.

It's important to note that some competitive courses will not allow you to transfer midway through the program and you will have to reapply as a fresh applicant.

I hope this puts you at ease a little.

Rosie (Sheffield Hallam Rep).

Hi Rosie, I am planning on transferring for next September. I haven't completed any finalising exams for my modules yet as those exams will be in late January (past the deadline). I have however done mock exams for my current modules and received grades but I don't feel like they are at my full potential. I have emailed all of my choices about this and some have said that I still need to submit predicted grades. I'm just really confused right now because my whole environment and on top of that the ucas application is stressing me out. But thank you for your advice :smile:
They said that they couldn't provide references this early because our final module exams are in January and we won't receive results until much later than that. Would not sending predicted grades affect my chances of being accepted somewhere else? I really do not like my current institution and I need to move somewhere else for my own sake.

Do you meet the entry requirements with your previous qualifications? e.g. A-Levels or BTECs?
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Do you meet the entry requirements with your previous qualifications? e.g. A-Levels or BTECs?

No I don't but I emailed each individually about that and they said that they would overlook level 3 requirements and just base it on the grades I get in this academic year.
No I don't but I emailed each individually about that and they said that they would overlook level 3 requirements and just base it on the grades I get in this academic year.

So, just to recap:
Your existing Level 3 qualifications don't meet the entry requirements for the universities / courses to which you want to apply, but those universities are willing to consider an offer conditional upon your performance this year.
Some of the universities to which you wish to apply are (not unreasonably) asking for some indication of your likely performance this year.
You have done mock exams for your current modules and have received grades; however, you "don't feel like they are at my full potential".
Your existing university is not willing to provide predicted grades this early. (Even if they were, it seems reasonable to assume that those would be based upon your mock exams, and would therefore be lower than you'd want.)

Have I summarised that correctly?

You wrote earlier that, "I haven't completed any finalising exams for my modules yet as those exams will be in late January (past the deadline)." Under the circumstances, it may be that you have no choice but to apply after the equal consideration deadline. :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by DataVenia
So, just to recap:
Your existing Level 3 qualifications don't meet the entry requirements for the universities / courses to which you want to apply, but those universities are willing to consider an offer conditional upon your performance this year.
Some of the universities to which you wish to apply are (not unreasonably) asking for some indication of your likely performance this year.
You have done mock exams for your current modules and have received grades; however, you "don't feel like they are at my full potential".
Your existing university is not willing to provide predicted grades this early. (Even if they were, it seems reasonable to assume that those would be based upon your mock exams, and would therefore be lower than you'd want.)

Have I summarised that correctly?

You wrote earlier that, "I haven't completed any finalising exams for my modules yet as those exams will be in late January (past the deadline)." Under the circumstances, it may be that you have no choice but to apply after the equal consideration deadline. :frown:

Yes I think that may have to be the case that I apply later. It's just stressful that I don't know what the future looks like right now but I guess that's the norm whilst going through UCAS again :frown:
Ask your current uni whether there’s any point they can provide predictions. Let your UCAS choices know what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending