The Student Room Group

Paying friend rent

My friend is letting me stay in his flat while he's away for 2 days as i happen to be visiting his city at the same time. After that i'm moving to an airbnb or hotel for the rest of my visit as his place doesn't fit us both.

Should i be offering some money/rent? or doing something nice? He's doing this as i'm quite a bit younger and he knows i'm not super rich but i feel like i should show appreciation in some other way
Don't bother with rent for 2 days but defo do something nice
Like a nice box of chocolate, I'd normally say flowers as well but if its a guy he might not want flowers. Is there anything he really wants? A book or a game? Perhaps a cinema voucher.
I stayed with siem family for a week, and they didn't want anything from me so I bought a bunch of flowers and small gifts for the kids
You don't need to go mega over the top
I'd say £20-£30 worth. Maximum
Reply 2
A thank you card or dinner when he gets back should be plenty! 💐
Reply 3
Original post by Roasted Potato
Don't bother with rent for 2 days but defo do something nice
Like a nice box of chocolate, I'd normally say flowers as well but if its a guy he might not want flowers. Is there anything he really wants? A book or a game? Perhaps a cinema voucher.
I stayed with siem family for a week, and they didn't want anything from me so I bought a bunch of flowers and small gifts for the kids
You don't need to go mega over the top
I'd say £20-£30 worth. Maximum

he is even taking me out for a film when he gets back and got us both tickets (he invited me and just got them then told me)
Is it worth mentioning he used to fancy me i don't know if it makes a difference but i debated staying at all in case he took it the wrong way?

thanks for the suggestions
Original post by Anonymous
he is even taking me out for a film when he gets back and got us both tickets (he invited me and just got them then told me)
Is it worth mentioning he used to fancy me i don't know if it makes a difference but i debated staying at all in case he took it the wrong way?

So he cares about you /wants to look out for you for sure
Doesn't necessarily mean he wants to try and get you into bed or anything like

Maybe get him a thank you card for being a good friend or something just to make explicitly clear ?
Reply 5
Original post by WazzWazz98
So he cares about you /wants to look out for you for sure
Doesn't necessarily mean he wants to try and get you into bed or anything like

Maybe get him a thank you card for being a good friend or something just to make explicitly clear ?

thank you

I have made it clear before and he's acknowledged it, i think he even gets a bit annoyed when i mention it
My friend is letting me stay in his flat while he's away for 2 days as i happen to be visiting his city at the same time. After that i'm moving to an airbnb or hotel for the rest of my visit as his place doesn't fit us both.

Should i be offering some money/rent? or doing something nice? He's doing this as i'm quite a bit younger and he knows i'm not super rich but i feel like i should show appreciation in some other way

Maybe buy him a couple drinks or a meal or something.

Sounds like you owe him a favour rather then cash. Actually in some ways a favour or a meal is nicer as it doesn’t feel like a transaction more just friends being friends.
Reply 7

Scrap the dinner, just the card...sounds like he's still trying to get in your knickers and there's a date already lined up. You indirectly saying yes to dating him should be thanks enough. 😂
Reply 8
Original post by Spanx
Scrap the dinner, just the card...sounds like he's still trying to get in your knickers and there's a date already lined up. You indirectly saying yes to dating him should be thanks enough. 😂

Haha we meet up to hang out normally when i'm there so it's not unusual. I do it with all my friends
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Maybe buy him a couple drinks or a meal or something.

Sounds like you owe him a favour rather then cash. Actually in some ways a favour or a meal is nicer as it doesn’t feel like a transaction more just friends being friends.

Yeah money does feel a bit awkward to talk about
thank you

I have made it clear before and he's acknowledged it, i think he even gets a bit annoyed when i mention it

thats fine, just cook him a meal or buy him a gift etc without the card then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending