The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
somebody in my kitchen thought it would be a good idea to microwave a carrot.
pro tip: dont microwave carrots.
Reply 21
Higgy90

why?
I tried to make carrot soup in my halls once or twice...the first time I didn't have a blender but I was going home at the weekend to get one so I left out the soup...and it went mouldy. Bleugh.

The second time though was going really well, had just poured it from the saucepan to a bigger pot to blend it (so the soup wouldn't fly everywhere), blended it and tasted it (it was awesome, if I do say so myself), then picked up the pot so I could transfer it back into the saucepan to heat up before eating :smile:

The bottom came off the pot. Soup - EVERYWHERE. All over the surfaces, behind the freezer, on the floor, all over me....

Not a fun day.
Reply 23
staticrhubarb
The bottom came off the pot. Soup - EVERYWHERE. All over the surfaces, behind the freezer, on the floor, all over me....

How'd that happen?! :lolwut:
Absurd
How'd that happen?! :lolwut:

Apparently blending the soup in the pot loosened the base of it...

It was a crappy cheap one. But still, grrr.

(Oh by the way, successfully made the soup yesterday with little disaster! Yay! :biggrin: )
Higgy90

*Goes to microwave a carrot*
When I lived in halls in my second year I started doing some boiled eggs, and then stupidly fell asleep. I got really mad when my housemate started banging on my door at 2am.. Turns out the water had boiled off and the eggs had exploded all over the kitchen - which was thick with black smoke!! Oops. Funny how burnt toast can set off the fire alarm but exploded burnt eggs can't.. Don't think my homies were very impressed!!
I severed the end of my left ring finger chopping carrots last weekend. I spent 3 hours in hospital having it reattatched and lost more than a litre of blood. I have absolutely no sensation in that part of my finger now, and probably never will again.

At least my Yorkshire puds came out fine that evening :smile:
I was making scrambled egg and forgot to mix it before heating it for like two minutes.
It exploded like everywhere...When I opened the microwave.
happy-and-lost
I severed the end of my left ring finger chopping carrots last weekend. I spent 3 hours in hospital having it reattatched and lost more than a litre of blood. I have absolutely no sensation in that part of my finger now, and probably never will again.
At least my Yorkshire puds came out fine that evening :smile:

A litre? :s:
How'd you manage to severe it cutting carrots? :s:
Enchanté
A litre? :s:
How'd you manage to severe it cutting carrots? :s:

I tried cutting batons, didn't have the blade at the right angle to go into the carrot, the blade slid off the carrot and down into my finger before I knew what was happening. It looks like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in my kitchen, I haven't had time to repaint the walls after I swung my arm around in horror with blood gushing out of it...

That'll teach me to eat vegetables.
Last year my flatmate was making caramel from a tin of condensed milk. She forgot to pierce the lid. *BANG* tin exploded. Everything covered in molten, burnt sugar. We had to repaint the ceiling!
Chicken caught fire in the oven. Surprisingly the fire alarm didn't go off. Now we're worried the fire alarm isn't working probably.
Eidolon
Last year one girl didn't know how to boil a potato so she just put it whole in a pan and it boiled dry three times, she kept taking it out, scraping off the burnt bits and trying again.

Also, my bf didn't know about metal in the microwave, he put the butter in the microwave still in the wrapper and started a fire in the kitchen

:smile: good times

I cant believe that students cant cook whatsoever.even i know how to boil a potato and dont put metal in a microwave.they might be educated enough to do a degree but cooking wise no sense whatso ever.
Reply 33
...Carrots seem quite popular on this thread.

I'm mystified as to why you'd want to microwave them though!
ZakBrannigan
I cant believe that students cant cook whatsoever.even i know how to boil a potato and dont put metal in a microwave.they might be educated enough to do a degree but cooking wise no sense whatso ever.

Wait til you're here. You'll see it's easier than you might have thought to have a major cooking disaster, even if you noramally can cook.

It must be something to do with the alcohol?
Well not me (I am obviously perfect in the kitchen :wink: ) but my friend once burnt some toast in the toaster and it went on fire. She hung it out the window by the lead and started to swing it to put out the fire lol

My culinary experiences usually just involve either burning or tasteless crap that no-one but me will eat :frown: I need cookery lessons.
Reply 36
I think we need a thread for culinary successes. I made cottage pie yesterday. :smile:
Reply 37
I once left the gas on.
happy-and-lost
I tried cutting batons, didn't have the blade at the right angle to go into the carrot, the blade slid off the carrot and down into my finger before I knew what was happening. It looks like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in my kitchen, I haven't had time to repaint the walls after I swung my arm around in horror with blood gushing out of it...

That'll teach me to eat vegetables.

:rofl:
We have had three oven fires and one grill fire. We just stick it back in and close the door for ten minutes. Always puts it out. Fire alarm has never gone off... worrying!!!! :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending