The Student Room Group

limited to a career path

I hate it. I want a university degree but I am going to be limited now because I didn’t get a chance to complete my A levels and left sixth form with half an A level and I dropped out due to illness, and the only path I can take now is an apprenticeship or access course but the fact that its one subject/career path is the thing I hate. I was doing A levels in English lit, sociology and maths. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

There is never only one path.
Go back and get your a levels, do an access course, enrol at the Open University, apprenticeship, job, plenty of paths and things to be done. Stop living on what could have been and what happened in the past and face yourself forward to what can be.
Original post by Anonymous
I hate it. I want a university degree but I am going to be limited now because I didn’t get a chance to complete my A levels and left sixth form with half an A level and I dropped out due to illness, and the only path I can take now is an apprenticeship or access course but the fact that its one subject/career path is the thing I hate. I was doing A levels in English lit, sociology and maths. Any advice?

You could go get your A levels; it’s never too late. Or honestly do an apprenticeship because you get the work experience as well instead of wasting 3 years at uni and getting into £50k debt by the end of it. You could also look into doing a foundation year at uni don’t think they have loads of prerequisites
Reply 3
i’m never going to get over it. Even if I wasn’t 100% sure I wanted to go to university I wanted to complete sixth form.
Reply 4
I can’t choose between English and Maths hence why I took both at A level. No matter what I do now I will be restricted.
I can’t choose between English and Maths hence why I took both at A level. No matter what I do now I will be restricted.

Follow other posters' advice - you can redo your A levels, do an access course, study by distance etc. It's only restricting you if you let it restrict you.
Reply 6
Why would you be restricted?

Can’t you go back and do your A levels? Also, there’s no such thing as being restricted. I know so many people who took random A levels like chemistry or biology and ended up studying economics. They don’t have to be related to your course in most cases.
Reply 8
I don’t want to get better at the same time because it took my life away from me so whats the point in getting better now?
Reply 9
I want to complete a Level 3 qualification
why should I get better when my chance to study my A levels for free has gone?
my chance to study any Level 3 qualification has gone? I feel like I am grieving over something
What job would you want to do? What interests you? There are also courses called access to higher education courses you can do instead of a levels- and you can go to uni with that- I know because one person I know on my course did that- a good course at an RG uni without a-levels.
that applies to work related courses
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
What job would you want to do? What interests you? There are also courses called access to higher education courses you can do instead of a levels- and you can go to uni with that- I know because one person I know on my course did that- a good course at an RG uni without a-levels.

I don’t know what I want thats why I took A levels
I don’t know what I want thats why I took A levels

I think, first you need to think about what it is you want to do and what is the qualification/ path to get there. A-levels does not mean you can do everything, some courses at uni require you to do subjects in the right a-levels. Sometimes for uni you can get in with BTEC or access to higher education courses. Im sorry that you're feeling all this despair, but the way to get through this is to actually think about what YOU want to do in life and if a-levels is the only way or not? Also think about what a-levels you want to do- is it the same ones or would you rather change etc. if a-levels is the only way forward. There are lots of adult colleges that you can do a-levels in- you just need to look them up. My sister did 2-a levels in a year in this adult college and she got to do it for free. I don't know what the rules are behind who has to pay and who does it for free. Also do you want to self study or go to an actual college to get taught the information? Think about those things first and then act.
(edited 2 years ago)
thats courses valued by employers so I am assuming BTECs/apprenticeships and NVQs.
Just wanted to ask if you live in London- because if you PM I could link you the college my sister went to where she did intensive a level courses where she did her 2 a levels in one year. And there's a page about fees and it said if you're 19-23 you might be eligible for some financial cover of the cost of the course.
I took A levels to keep my options open
I feel bloody hurt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending