The Student Room Group

What are the NICEST places in the UK?

An overseas holiday isn't happening this year, too much hassle :hmmm:
So I'm going to go round the UK loads instead till the pandemic settles down.

Anyone got any suggestions? I live in the Midlands and dont have a car. I've already booked tickets to Bristol to see a mate for a day so that should be fun :yep:

Thank you :h:
scotish highlands
Original post by thonks
scotish highlands

Cheers, I've been a few times before but might go again :yep:
Liverpool
Reply 4
- Lake District is lovely and rather peaceful
- Wales in general is fantastic for hiking and simple exploring!
- Brighton and Hove is also nice, but quite far from where you are, they have lots of exciting things although with covid, idk how much is going on anymore. They have the South Downs which is quite nice to explore
- Eastbourne, they have two beauty sites which are very beautiful, Cuckmere Haven and the Seven Sisters
- Edinburgh seems to be a fairly friendly place with lots of places to visit
- York seems okay, only been once but I've heard that the people are nice!
- Bath is very nice, they have nice baths as the name suggests
Original post by isara8482
Liverpool

Original post by agent37
- Lake District is lovely and rather peaceful
- Wales in general is fantastic for hiking and simple exploring!
- Brighton and Hove is also nice, but quite far from where you are, they have lots of exciting things although with covid, idk how much is going on anymore. They have the South Downs which is quite nice to explore
- Eastbourne, they have two beauty sites which are very beautiful, Cuckmere Haven and the Seven Sisters
- Edinburgh seems to be a fairly friendly place with lots of places to visit
- York seems okay, only been once but I've heard that the people are nice!
- Bath is very nice, they have nice baths as the name suggests

Thank you so much :smile: York people are really nice yeah!

I would love to go round the South Downs, is it easy to visit without a car? I've been through them once before when my mate was driving, looked :heart: :biggrin:

Eastbourne also seems good, I just like the beach really haha
Reply 6
Original post by Ameliabunny

Thank you so much :smile: York people are really nice yeah!

I would love to go round the South Downs, is it easy to visit without a car? I've been through them once before when my mate was driving, looked :heart: :biggrin:

Eastbourne also seems good, I just like the beach really haha

South Downs are not hard to visit once you get to Brighton (or any of the nearby places), there's a really extensive bus service in Brighton and Hove which extends all along the South Coast and the downs :five: You can then visit the beach there afterwards

I love the beach but as someone who is from that area, I have to say Brighton beach is literally the crustiest sea ever, there's so much random junk floating there...
The airport departure lounges.

But seriously, I live in the North so I've been trying to explore a bit myself. Durham, where I'll hopefully study, is pretty quaint. I'd recommend my hometown Manchester, and Liverpool was nice when I visited. Apparently Cornwall is lovely but it's a bit far for me. Depends what kind of thing you want really. I remember Haworth, home of the Bronte sisters, being sweet and rich in history, but if you're wanting nightlife or something then it's not going to appeal as much.
Original post by agent37
South Downs are not hard to visit once you get to Brighton (or any of the nearby places), there's a really extensive bus service in Brighton and Hove which extends all along the South Coast and the downs :five: You can then visit the beach there afterwards

I love the beach but as someone who is from that area, I have to say Brighton beach is literally the crustiest sea ever, there's so much random junk floating there...

Amazing thanks :colondollar: I'm definitely doing that then, hopefully the weather holds out! How long would you "budget" for hiking, are there any particular routes that are really nice?

Omg you're so lucky. I have been to Brighton before and really liked it but I didn't actually spend much time in the sea as we were in a hurry :redface: I do love the beach though as I hate it when you're on a beach and sand gets everywhere.

LOL you responded to my anon roadman post in the other thread :five: brap brap my G

Fun fact tho - I looked up the phrase London girls on Twitter and everyone always Tweets about East London girls being hot. Wonder why that is? :dontknow:
Original post by ashtolga23
The airport departure lounges.

But seriously, I live in the North so I've been trying to explore a bit myself. Durham, where I'll hopefully study, is pretty quaint. I'd recommend my hometown Manchester, and Liverpool was nice when I visited. Apparently Cornwall is lovely but it's a bit far for me. Depends what kind of thing you want really. I remember Haworth, home of the Bronte sisters, being sweet and rich in history, but if you're wanting nightlife or something then it's not going to appeal as much.

I would want to go abroad but with all the possible hassle it just isnt worth it RN :nope:

I've been to Durham before it is 10/10 :yep: And Manc a few times but I didn't really know where to go TBH, as embarassing as it sounds me and my mates just hung around the Arndale and the library looool. Where would you recommend? Thanks :smile:

You must go to Cornwall it's so good (plus it's not actually that expensive if you take the coach instead of train). The sea around St Ives etc. is actually amazing.

I don't really want anything in particular, I like city and countryside, so long as I can get there without a car ofc :yep:

Ooooh what did you do in Haworth? I was thinking of that actually! York is lovely too :biggrin:
I would want to go abroad but with all the possible hassle it just isnt worth it RN :nope:

I've been to Durham before it is 10/10 :yep: And Manc a few times but I didn't really know where to go TBH, as embarassing as it sounds me and my mates just hung around the Arndale and the library looool. Where would you recommend? Thanks :smile:

You must go to Cornwall it's so good (plus it's not actually that expensive if you take the coach instead of train). The sea around St Ives etc. is actually amazing.

I don't really want anything in particular, I like city and countryside, so long as I can get there without a car ofc :yep:

Ooooh what did you do in Haworth? I was thinking of that actually! York is lovely too :biggrin:

The Arndale is great! There are lots of great places though, especially if you're into the alternative or music scenes (Affleck's Palace >>>). Lots of independent shops and restaurants to explore.

Cornwall sounds cool!

Haworth was a childhood outing destination for me a lot. I remember going to the Bronte sisters' house quite a bit, and just looking round all the 'oldy worldy' shops. It's really cool to explore.

Anyone got any suggestions? I live in the Midlands and dont have a car. I've already booked tickets to Bristol to see a mate for a day so that should be fun :yep:

Weymouth
Bognor regis

What exactly are you after?

I don’t drive and have been to the Isle of Skye, Lyme Regis/ Charmouth, Edinburgh, Oxford, Whitby, the Cairngorms national park and due to go to the Isle of Lewis soon
Reply 12

Cornwall is a fun trip - good food, activities (surfing, stand-up paddle boarding, boat trips), entertainment (drive-in cinema) and beautiful scenery

Other than that I would recommend Edinburgh too (especially since the fringe is back this year!).

Enjoy!
Amazing thanks :colondollar: I'm definitely doing that then, hopefully the weather holds out! How long would you "budget" for hiking, are there any particular routes that are really nice?

Omg you're so lucky. I have been to Brighton before and really liked it but I didn't actually spend much time in the sea as we were in a hurry :redface: I do love the beach though as I hate it when you're on a beach and sand gets everywhere.

Personally, I have only ever done day hiking but I heard that some people like to do hiking which spreads over several days!

I really like the Devil's **** Trail that goes along the cliff. Spending a day sounds pretty good just trekking around the downs. You can see snakes and some badgers if you're lucky!

That's funny that you like the beach, it's so painful walking on the pebbles - I went swimming last week and am now on bedrest after having the soles of my feet ruined by the rocks while swimming :frown:
Original post by agent37
Personally, I have only ever done day hiking but I heard that some people like to do hiking which spreads over several days!

I really like the Devil's **** Trail that goes along the cliff. Spending a day sounds pretty good just trekking around the downs. You can see snakes and some badgers if you're lucky!

That's funny that you like the beach, it's so painful walking on the pebbles - I went swimming last week and am now on bedrest after having the soles of my feet ruined by the rocks while swimming :frown:

the **** is D Y K E
Original post by Emma:-)
Weymouth
Bognor regis

Swanage

Quick Reply

Latest