The Student Room Group

AS-Level struggle: Am I overworking myself?

I just had my first day as an AS-Level Student and had already spent an entire afternoon and night reading through chapter 1 of all 4 subjects.
I had IGCSE last year and was a high-achiever, I worked really hard and achieved several academic awards. For that reason, I'm really determined to keep this up in A-Level, especially knowing that this is going to be a huge jump from IGCSE.
I planned to follow the same study regime I did last year: Read everything in the textbook way before everyone else and take notes during class. The problem with this regime is that it is very daunting to follow, especially when I have to read for all 4 subjects and at the same time, do my assigned homeworks. It worked last year because I only applied it to Science, also because the subjects were much easier (Business Studies - understand the concept then apply common sense, Global Perspective - know what the examiner expected, ESL - I chose this because I was unsure of my English ability but the whole course was like childplay to me, ICT - low threshold, read the textbook and practice past papers).
I feel so exhausted right after the very first day because I read through chapter 1 of all the textbooks. And that's when I have not been assigned any homework yet. I don't know if I can keep this up, the reason why I prefer self-study is that I don't trust the teachers, last year they didn't teach me anything useful for the exams (everthing was either out of sync with the syllabus or they go so slowly that if I follow their study plan, I will merely have any time to revise when exam comes).
Can anyone help me sort this out by,perhaps, giving me a more sensible study plan? I suffered greatly with anxiety disorder and eating disorder last year, summer break helps but I got triggered so hard as school started.
I barely have time for anything else in my life for I spend so much time on school work. My relationship with my siblings suffered greatly last year due to this and I feel guilty not seeing my parents all day because I was stuck in my room with all the works I assigned myself.
Thank you for listening to my vent, I really appreciate your time.
Original post by Tracy285
I just had my first day as an AS-Level Student and had already spent an entire afternoon and night reading through chapter 1 of all 4 subjects.
I had IGCSE last year and was a high-achiever, I worked really hard and achieved several academic awards. For that reason, I'm really determined to keep this up in A-Level, especially knowing that this is going to be a huge jump from IGCSE.
I planned to follow the same study regime I did last year: Read everything in the textbook way before everyone else and take notes during class. The problem with this regime is that it is very daunting to follow, especially when I have to read for all 4 subjects and at the same time, do my assigned homeworks. It worked last year because I only applied it to Science, also because the subjects were much easier (Business Studies - understand the concept then apply common sense, Global Perspective - know what the examiner expected, ESL - I chose this because I was unsure of my English ability but the whole course was like childplay to me, ICT - low threshold, read the textbook and practice past papers).
I feel so exhausted right after the very first day because I read through chapter 1 of all the textbooks. And that's when I have not been assigned any homework yet. I don't know if I can keep this up, the reason why I prefer self-study is that I don't trust the teachers, last year they didn't teach me anything useful for the exams (everthing was either out of sync with the syllabus or they go so slowly that if I follow their study plan, I will merely have any time to revise when exam comes).
Can anyone help me sort this out by,perhaps, giving me a more sensible study plan? I suffered greatly with anxiety disorder and eating disorder last year, summer break helps but I got triggered so hard as school started.
I barely have time for anything else in my life for I spend so much time on school work. My relationship with my siblings suffered greatly last year due to this and I feel guilty not seeing my parents all day because I was stuck in my room with all the works I assigned myself.
Thank you for listening to my vent, I really appreciate your time.

Hey, can totally relate to the desire to continue with your work ethic from GCSE as I did something similar (or tried to!).

I think the best way you can approach this is to try a prioritised approach. So rather than reading every single chapter maybe skim through the contents of it and decide which areas you think will need the most work, look at those first and if you find you have extra time, maybe cover some of the other topics too.

Also, I know it's easier to say than do, but perhaps trying to schedule specific times to take breaks (that are non-negotiable) which you can then dedicate to seeing friends or spending time with family. It should relieve a bit of the pressure on you because you'll be committing to time with friends and family, but you'll also be able to see that there is time allocated for studying the content you need to - and it'll give you something to look forward to in between all the studying!

As I say, it's easier than done but maybe give it a few weeks to trial a different approach and see how it's working. You don't have to stick with it if it's not working, but some elements might be worth keeping and/or tweaking :smile:

Good luck and if you want to bounce ideas about a study plan, please feel free!
Reply 2
I would also question and think about how you are reading. What I mean by this is look at the way the text is laid out. Try for example a skim read before class, pick out key paragraphs, summary paragraphs, intro, summary. look up the cornell not taking approach for example. I'd also look for other sources to help, revision guides, or even revision youtube programmes. What I am suggesting is look at how your read and absorb information not just what. Go the class then go back for a second read of the information, you might find that approach rather than trying to cram everything in at once in one setting more productive and less stressful. I think it is also worth having a chat with an academic mentor / teacher in your college / school. The other obvious point is the overall time table - are you doing too much in one night. Are you looking after other aspects of your health such as exercise and good food etc. Finally, its the beginning expect that at the start of a new course its a bit overwhelming things should settle down. But do seek some professional advice from your tutors, there is no shame.
Honestly, I have the same situation. I sleep at most 5 hours, because of this I sometimes have headaches, nervous exhaustion, at the beginning of the year I was a bit chubby, and because of uni I probably lost 5 kilos . But I'm a sophomore now, and I'll give you some advice. Sleep more, yes, I know it's hard, but you need to distribute your activities so that it doesn't affect your sleep, sleep every day consistently by the hour. Do a light exercise in the morning, and drink warm water with lemon afterwards. Eat more meat, it has a lot of enzymes. And on top of everything else, you can get medications that will support your immune system. I personally use Therapist Preferred candy, it's very relaxing and restorative. But there is CBD in such drugs, it is better to consult your doctor
I would also advise you to worry less, such actions are very costly in weight. As they say in Healthy Body - Healthy Spirit
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest