The Student Room Group

Which A Levels should I do?

As you probably know, GCSE results day is tomorrow, and I need to confirm my options. I realise asking on an online forum isn't the best way to decide what to study, but I've exhausted all other sources of advice and still haven't got a clue. I'm definitely taking maths, (maybe + further maths, depending on tomorrow's results) and religious studies, and I have to pick two more out of biology, chemistry, physics and English.

At university I'm considering doing Psychology and Philosophy, because that's something that really interests me, or Computer Programming - it sounds fun, but I didn't do computing GCSE, so I can't say for certain whether I'll like it. Architecture, Philosophy, Medicine and Engineering are all also on the table (you can tell I'm kinda very indecisive).

I think (or at least hope) I'll have the grades to do any of the listed subjects, but I did struggle with doing well on biology tests, because you know how strict the markschemes are. Physics was also slightly difficult. This is why I'm considering doing English Lit with Chemistry, as they were definitely my best subjects at GCSE, but I feel like that combination is a bit useless; it's better to do two sciences if I want to study a science degree, and dropping both biology and physics won't be good for university applications in my desired courses. On the other hand, if I only do one of biology or physics in combination with English, I run the risk of not doing so well. But doing biology+chemistry or physics+chemistry seems like it'll be really really difficult, so that also may impact my results.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for reading through all that.
Reply 1
I forgot to add that I'm really more interested in physics than biology...
Reply 2
Original post by Down_worlder
As you probably know, GCSE results day is tomorrow, and I need to confirm my options. I realise asking on an online forum isn't the best way to decide what to study, but I've exhausted all other sources of advice and still haven't got a clue. I'm definitely taking maths, (maybe + further maths, depending on tomorrow's results) and religious studies, and I have to pick two more out of biology, chemistry, physics and English.

At university I'm considering doing Psychology and Philosophy, because that's something that really interests me, or Computer Programming - it sounds fun, but I didn't do computing GCSE, so I can't say for certain whether I'll like it. Architecture, Philosophy, Medicine and Engineering are all also on the table (you can tell I'm kinda very indecisive).

I think (or at least hope) I'll have the grades to do any of the listed subjects, but I did struggle with doing well on biology tests, because you know how strict the markschemes are. Physics was also slightly difficult. This is why I'm considering doing English Lit with Chemistry, as they were definitely my best subjects at GCSE, but I feel like that combination is a bit useless; it's better to do two sciences if I want to study a science degree, and dropping both biology and physics won't be good for university applications in my desired courses. On the other hand, if I only do one of biology or physics in combination with English, I run the risk of not doing so well. But doing biology+chemistry or physics+chemistry seems like it'll be really really difficult, so that also may impact my results.

Firstly, good luck with your results tomorrow and try to get a good night's sleep! It definitely sounds like you're unsure of what you want to read at university, but that isn't really a problem and it's ok. If you want to keep your options open (I'm taking into account everything you've said), I think you should definitely consider doing A-level Maths, Biology (especially for Psychology and Medicine), Chemistry (facilitating subject for Medicine), and if you're taking a fourth, I would recommend doing an essay-based subject such as RS, Psychology, History, Geography, etc. just to make sure you're keeping your options open. I hope this is helpful!

P.S. I did A-level History, Economics, and Sociology - feel free to ask me any questions. :smile:
Reply 3

Hi there!
I thought sharing my experience may help take the pressure off you a little, and I hope it helps in some way...

When I took my GCSEs, I wanted to work my way into forensic science. 🔬🧪🦠

By the time my A-levels came around, (I studied law, English literature, and accounting) I wanted to study law and become a lawyer. ⚖️📚⛓

...then the pandemic happened...I questioned everything and suddenly I didn't know what I truly wanted to do. I had the grades to go and study law but something just didn't feel right. The pandemic made me think about what would REALLY make me happy.🤔

Now I am taking on a well-paid, highly competitive business-based apprenticeship in London, which has great job prospects for the future. 💰💻📑📬

MORAL OF THE STORY: do not be confined by the expectations you have of yourself, and take the A-levels you think you will enjoy. My A-levels are not linked directly to what I am doing now and yet I am happier than ever. 😄✅
Psychology and English could be good. I did both with RS and they combined super well.

Psychology is obviously something you seem interested in so I think it would be good, and English is good for boosting essay skills.
Reply 5
Original post by ashtolga23
Psychology and English could be good. I did both with RS and they combined super well.

Psychology is obviously something you seem interested in so I think it would be good, and English is good for boosting essay

Thanks for the reply! I'd actually love to so psychology a level, but sadly my school doesn't offer it. English with RS does sound good, but I'm not sure what degree I'd go on to do..
Thanks for the reply! I'd actually love to so psychology a level, but sadly my school doesn't offer it. English with RS does sound good, but I'm not sure what degree I'd go on to do..

Ohh crap no way! Well, even so, philosophy is like the father of psychology, so RS would be good if you want to go into psychology at university. I found the two often overlapped, for example the free-will debate or figures like Kohlberg.

Like I say, English provides transferable skills more than anything. It could also be good to have an understanding of different texts that may have had an influence on the world and different areas of life (notice how so many people reference Nineteen Eighty-Four... and how many misunderstand it).

They might mean you can't do something like medicine, but there are definitely future options there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Ohh crap no way! Well, even so, philosophy is like the father of psychology, so RS would be good if you want to go into psychology at university. I found the two often overlapped, for example the free-will debate or figures like Kohlberg.

Like I say, English provides transferable skills more than anything. It could also be good to have an understanding of different texts that may have had an influence on the world and different areas of life (notice how so many people reference Nineteen Eighty-Four... and how many misunderstand it).

They might mean you can't do something like medicine, but there are definitely future options there.

That's a good idea, I think I might do English after all :smile:
What would you recommend as a fourth A Level option then, to keep my options open? Out of the sciences I mean, because a science is needed for basically everything I'm considering.
Reply 8
if you are interested in doing psychology at uni you could do psychology at A level too to see if it’s something you would like to pursue. I do psychology, biology and chemistry at a level, in my opinion chemistry is quite hard at a level but that might just be me as i also wasn’t very good at GCSE. You said medicine is on the table for that you have to take biology and chemistry, for other healthcare careers usually just biology is needed or some science study, maths is also great for healthcare courses. Studying english is good for a lot of uni courses anyway so you could still study that if you like it and it could go well with RS. Honestly just search more in depth about where you could go with the courses you are considering doing and see which interests you the most. good luck for tomorrow
That's a good idea, I think I might do English after all :smile:
What would you recommend as a fourth A Level option then, to keep my options open? Out of the sciences I mean, because a science is needed for basically everything I'm considering.

I'm not too clued up on the sciences sorry. Idk about your school but ours counts further maths as a 4th, which I know you said you're considering. Maths and physics go hand in hand if you'd want to go down that route. Biology is more related to psychology but you said you don't enjoy it as much I think. Chemistry is tough and you have to be passionate about it to get the top grades I believe; our GCSE teacher actively discouraged people from doing it if she thought there was any parental pressure or anything like that. She also made the point that you shouldn't really go into the A-Level with the thought you'll struggle through it and then get into a subject or job that requires it, because if it requires it yet you don't like the subject, it doesn't make that much sense.

What are you thinking of doing anyway?
Reply 10
I'm not too clued up on the sciences sorry. Idk about your school but ours counts further maths as a 4th, which I know you said you're considering. Maths and physics go hand in hand if you'd want to go down that route. Biology is more related to psychology but you said you don't enjoy it as much I think. Chemistry is tough and you have to be passionate about it to get the top grades I believe; our GCSE teacher actively discouraged people from doing it if she thought there was any parental pressure or anything like that. She also made the point that you shouldn't really go into the A-Level with the thought you'll struggle through it and then get into a subject or job that requires it, because if it requires it yet you don't like the subject, it doesn't make that much sense.

What are you thinking of doing anyway?

I really wish I knew what I wanted to do :frown:
But I applied to Sixth Form with Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Art, so that's what I'm doing at the moment (definitely going to change at least art tomorrow!). What did you do at university?
I really wish I knew what I wanted to do :frown:
But I applied to Sixth Form with Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Art, so that's what I'm doing at the moment (definitely going to change at least art tomorrow!). What did you do at university?

I just mean if you have a few options for a university/apprenticeship/career then you can check requirements online (check a few different places as the same course may have different requirements at different establishments).

I actually just got my A-Level results yesterday. Made a video out of it lmao. My offer at uni is for English but I've been trying to switch to psychology which was always my original plan.
Reply 12
I just mean if you have a few options for a university/apprenticeship/career then you can check requirements online (check a few different places as the same course may have different requirements at different establishments).

I actually just got my A-Level results yesterday. Made a video out of it lmao. My offer at uni is for English but I've been trying to switch to psychology which was always my original plan.

Good idea, I’ll check the requirements for different courses and see which subjects facilitate all my options.

Ohh wow, both of those options sound really cool!

Quick Reply

Latest