The Student Room Group

Is a C at SQA higher good?

So my results were AAAAC, in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Business Management. The C was in English. My Maths and English exams were really close to each other I think they were the next day to each other and I had decided that I would study both equally. Then I realised that I could get an A in maths if I studied it more since I thought on the first paper I got a B (I left out 2 questions and did a couple wrong). So I decided to study a lot for maths and studied a little for English. I knew I wasn’t gonna get above a grade B in English if I had studied as much as I could since English is my weak point (I would’ve dropped it and did modern studies if I could’ve). I think if I studied for both equally I would’ve got a B in both maths and English. Should have I studied for both equally and potentially get a B in both, or did I do the right thing studying for maths more and getting that A grade resulting in a C for English. (It was a low A in maths/band 2 and a High C in English/band 5).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by StudentForSQA
So my results were AAAAC, in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Business Management. The C was in English. My Maths and English exams were really close to each other I think they were the next day to each other and I had decided that I would study both equally. Then I realised that I could get an A in maths if I studied it more since I thought on the first paper I got a B (I left out 2 questions and did a couple wrong). So I decided to study a lot for maths and studied a little for English. I knew I wasn’t gonna get above a grade B in English if I had studied as much as I could since English is my weak point (I would’ve dropped it and did modern studies if I could’ve). I think if I studied for both equally I would’ve got a B in both maths and English. Should have I studied for both equally and potentially get a B in both, or did I do the right thing studying for maths more and getting that A grade resulting in a C for English. (It was a low A in maths/band 2 and a High C in English/band 5).

Hi, those results are great well done! I don't think there is any such thing as a bad grade really as long as you pass I suppose. It really depends what you want to do. Assuming you want to go into higher education, check the entry requirements of the course and they will tell you if a higher english C grade is enough :smile:
C at SQA higher isn't great at all, though I can understand. I think you should've put a bit more time and effort into the Highers, so you can obtain a low A in Maths and low B in English, then it'll be AAAAB which is a lot more understandable. For both of them you can still apply to University of Edinburgh.
Sometimes you need to make decisions on where to focus studying, at the end I studied harder for my English because I am weak in it, had put off working out how to study for it as I didnt enjoy it, and was concerned about my grade, at the expense of other subjects. Thankfully it worked out ok, but my physics which I thought I was ok in was a low A and in hindsight I shouldn't have spent so much time on English as my physics which was more important was put at risk.

It is done now, the only thing you could reflect on is why you didnt have enough time to study both and if you had your time again would you have started sooner, or have been doing more throughout your highers year? Something I have done is to be really honest with myself to learn for next year, I shouldnt have avoided and put off English just because I found it hard and didnt know how to study, once I got into it it was okay but it cost me time for other subjects. Exams being a day apart is not a reason, if you are honest with yourself you should have been prepared much earlier.

Congratulations on your brilliant 4 As, the C obviously isnt great, but with your 4As is good enough for a lot of uni courses where English isnt a required subject.
Original post by BlackLab
Sometimes you need to make decisions on where to focus studying, at the end I studied harder for my English because I am weak in it, had put off working out how to study for it as I didnt enjoy it, and was concerned about my grade, at the expense of other subjects. Thankfully it worked out ok, but my physics which I thought I was ok in was a low A and in hindsight I shouldn't have spent so much time on English as my physics which was more important was put at risk.

It is done now, the only thing you could reflect on is why you didnt have enough time to study both and if you had your time again would you have started sooner, or have been doing more throughout your highers year? Something I have done is to be really honest with myself to learn for next year, I shouldnt have avoided and put off English just because I found it hard and didnt know how to study, once I got into it it was okay but it cost me time for other subjects. Exams being a day apart is not a reason, if you are honest with yourself you should have been prepared much earlier.

Congratulations on your brilliant 4 As, the C obviously isnt great, but with your 4As is good enough for a lot of uni courses where English isnt a required subject.

Hi thanks for replying. I want to do pharmacy at uni and 2 unis offer it, Strathclyde and Robort Gordon uni. Strathclyde require higher English at B and robort Gordon require it at a C. However Strathclyde require maths at a B, if I had known this I would’ve spent more time on English and wouldn’t of mind getting a B in maths because they require a B in maths, but I have an A. I did get an email back from Strathclyde saying I could be accepted with advanced highers in 2 subjects from sciences and maths at AB, higher than their original requirement of BB. I do think I still have a chance but at least I’ve got the grades for RGU. I’m hoping to achieve AB in advanced chemistry and physics (any order) and an A in higher human biology. They would’ve asked for BB at advanced highers if I got my B in English I’m assuming. But I’m not too bothered about it because I enjoy studying sciences and they are my strong point even though I did do better than their standard requirement for maths at a B... I’m happy with RGU cause I only needed AABB and a C in higher English this year for it so I guess I’m competitive in that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by otto:)
Hi, those results are great well done! I don't think there is any such thing as a bad grade really as long as you pass I suppose. It really depends what you want to do. Assuming you want to go into higher education, check the entry requirements of the course and they will tell you if a higher english C grade is enough :smile:

Thanks I’ve talked to the unis now and it’s fine! One has accepted it and said I am likely to get accepted as I did better than their standard while the other said I would probably need to achieve AAB in 2 advanced highers (AB) (in sciences or maths) and an A in higher Human biology.
Original post by justlearning1469
C at SQA higher isn't great at all, though I can understand. I think you should've put a bit more time and effort into the Highers, so you can obtain a low A in Maths and low B in English, then it'll be AAAAB which is a lot more understandable. For both of them you can still apply to University of Edinburgh.

Thanks for replying. I had already got a low A (I.e 72 - 84%) in maths. I was just worried that if I spent more time in English I would’ve got a B in both because my first paper Didn’t go well in maths as I though I probably got a B (it was really tough). So I ended up studying harder for the second paper of maths and got a high A resulting an overall low A. If I studied for both I think I would’ve got a B in them. Knowing I’ve got a C throughout the year in English and an A throughout the year in maths I guess I made the right decision and I’m not too bothered about it anymore. I have emailed the unis and one has said I have done better than the standard while the other has said I need to get AAB in 2 advanced highers from sciences and or maths (AB) and an A in higher human biology. I think I’ll be able to get AB in advanced higher chemistry and advanced higher physics in any order and an A in higher human biology since science is my strong point.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BlackLab

Not just a lot of uni courses, even those in University of Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending