The Student Room Group

A-Level Resit - Investment Banking

Hey guys,

I got A*BC in Geography, Biology and Chemistry respectively. I have an offer to go to a good university and want to pursue investment banking as my career. However, I know that I could get at least an A in Chemistry if I resit in the autumn exams. This is because I worked really hard and actually enjoy chemistry, but still can't figure out why someone who got half my marks in chemistry mocks (main evidence) got higher than me at the end. I would appeal but I don't want to risk my offer from the university. My plan is to revise for chemistry now and take the autumn exams when im at university. I will revise right now, so that when the time comes, all I need to do is recap the content and do a little bit of questions.

What are your thoughts?

(Had to post in relationships because of the anonymity)
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I got A*BC in Geography, Biology and Chemistry respectively. I have an offer to go to a good university and want to pursue investment banking as my career. However, I know that I could get at least an A in Chemistry if I resit in the autumn exams. This is because I worked really hard and actually enjoy chemistry, but still can't figure out why someone who got half my marks in chemistry mocks (main evidence) got higher than me at the end. I would appeal but I don't want to risk my offer from the university. My plan is to revise for chemistry now and take the autumn exams when im at university. I will revise right now, so that when the time comes, all I need to do is recap the content and do a little bit of questions.

What are your thoughts?

(Had to post in relationships because of the anonymity)

If your offer is from a top tier University like Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick or Durham then I wouldn't worry too much about the re-sit. Focus on your first year at University because it will be extremely intense at these top uni's and investment banks will care more about what you do at Uni anyway and the extra-curricular activities that you participate in.

Any other university then I would recommend to take the re-sit because 1) you will have more time on your hands as the workload will be less intense compared to top-tier uni's. 2) you will be competing with people with impeccable grades from top universities for investment banking so if you don't yourself go to a top Uni, then unfortunately you would be at a disadvantage compared to many others.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending